Cover Letter Critic Please

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Miss Snix, Aug 24, 2010.

1. Miss Snix

Miss Snix Companion

Aug 24, 2010

I am in the process of rewriting my cover letter. It is still a work in progress but I would love to hear your thoughts/help so far :)

Dear Mr ***,

I would like to apply for the position of grade one teacher, advertised in ***. I have graduated with a Bachelor of Education (Early Childhood) in November 2006 and a Masters of Education (Special Education) in 2010 at the University of ***. I have also had various experiences working in a range of schools and education settings. I believe that my academic preparation and my varied work experiences in education would allow me to make a significant contribution to your school as a member of the staff. I have worked as a relief teacher at the community kindergarten attached to your school and thoroughly enjoyed the environment and atmosphere.

I enjoy teaching because I find it rewarding in helping children learn, develop and succeed at their full potential. I believe students learn best when they are able to experience meaningful, interesting learning that applies to each of their lives. I believe this can be accomplished through the use of hands-on, cooperative learning, with an integrated curriculum.

My first teaching position was on part time contract at a ‘one teacher’ school where I worked with the grade one to three students teaching literacy. When the Principal was absent I relieved her and taught the one to sevens as a whole. This was a wonderful learning opportunity that gave me the chance to take on and succeed at a great responsibility, the chance to expand my multitasking abilities as well as further my knowledge of each year level at the one time in a fast paced environment.

I would like to be considered as a candidate for the position you have available. Please refer to my enclosed Curriculum Vitae. Thank you for your consideration.

Yours sincerely,

3. Miss Snix

Miss Snix Companion

Aug 25, 2010

Help please :)

4. HOPE-fulTeacher

HOPE-fulTeacher Comrade

Aug 25, 2010

I have no real basis on which to give advice from (as I am currently looking for my first teaching job and have also just posted my cover letter for review), but I think it sounds good. You have tailored it to the school for which you're applying and made connections about your work with their Kindergarten program. (Which hopefully will get the administrator for this job talking to the Kindergarten program supervisor, who will rave about your work.) :) The only thing that didn't quite flow to me was the sentence,

"This was a wonderful learning opportunity that gave me the chance to take on and succeed at a great responsibility, the chance to expand my multitasking abilities as well as further my knowledge of each year level at the one time in a fast paced environment."

Maybe you could change it to something like,

"This was a wonderful learning opportunity that gave me chances to successfully take on a great responsibility, expand my multi-tasking abilities, as well as to further my knowledge of grade-level standards in a fast-paced environment."

I wasn't sure what you meant by "knowledge of each year level at the one time", but I assumed you meant that since you were teaching multiple grade levels, you got to see what was expected of & taught at each grade level. I could be interpreting it wrong though!

5. Miss Snix

Miss Snix Companion

Aug 25, 2010

No you interpreted it correctly :) I was stumbling with how to write that bit myself...but I like how you have it worded.

Thank you for the advice!

I am also thinking about if I should work in that I am working (well I start Monday and this has to be in by next Friday, I am only in the class for three weeks) in a YrOne class since the position is YrOne, or if I should just leave it since it's in my resume.