Cover Letter Advice!!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by Mldouglas, Jun 3, 2008.

1. Mldouglas

Mldouglas Comrade

Jun 3, 2008

I have a question. I don't want to sound stupid but I have recently just finished my teaching portfolio and I took it into my job to have a co-worker look at it. She suggested that I have a cover letter in the front of my portfolio. Here is my question, do you think a principal would think I was crazy or stupid for including a cover letter in my portfolio when I will be sending a cover letter with my portfolio attached? Any comments would be greatly appreciated.

Mldouglas

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

Jun 3, 2008

I don't think you need a coverletter in your portfolio if your coverletter is already with it.

4. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 3, 2008

I second that.

5. newtoschool

newtoschool Rookie

Jun 3, 2008

Portfolio

May I ask what is in your portfolio? I never put one together this year and it was my first. I never had time to do anything but work on lessons.

6. drapes330

drapes330 Companion

Jun 3, 2008

I did not put a cover letter in my portfolio but I did start it off with a title page. It included my name, contact information, a graphic and an excerpt from my teaching a learning statement (basically my philosophy of teaching). My university requires a portfolio which is reviewed by a panel before they will recommend you for certification, and I received compliments for having a title page.

To the poster who wondered what to put in a portfolio, I based mine on the "student teaching standards" of my university, which are aligned with my state's standards. Basically I included artifacts (lesson plans, letters of rec, photos of students, etc.) that demonstrated each standard. It was a really easy way to organize my portfolio and make sure I was showing everything I wanted to.