cover letter advice please!

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by bluthster, Jul 7, 2010.

1. bluthster

bluthster New Member

Jul 7, 2010

Hi everyone! I'm new here and this forum seems really helpful. I am a recent graduate and am looking for my first teaching job. Below is my cover letter and I am hoping to get some feedback.

June 1, 2010

Superintendent address

Dear Mr. Superintendent,

I would love the opportunity to be interviewed for the Elementary Teacher position. With a teaching certificate in Elementary Education and a Bachelor of Arts Degree from the University of XYZ, I am very interested in teaching for the ABC School District.

At present, I am working as a third grade teacher’s assistant. This position enables me to work closely with a veteran teacher to educate students academically and socially. I am challenged to be innovative, flexible, and energetic.

Last year, I completed my student teaching in a second grade classroom at C Elementary. I taught a wonderfully diverse group of students, including students with special needs. I became skilled at differentiating my lessons and assessments to match the students’ unique abilities. My student teaching experience helped to strengthen my philosophy that every child can learn.

With my range of experiences, enthusiasm, and passion for teaching, I am confident that I will make a positive contribution to your school district. I am excited about the possibility of a personal interview to further discuss my qualifications. Thank you for taking the time to review my credentials and to consider me for employment with ABC Schools.

Best Regards,

Bluthster

Should I include a specific anecdote? Anything I should take out? Thanks!

3. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jul 7, 2010

I always think a specific story helps "paint" a picture of your personality, unique skill or accomplishment. We're all enthusiastic and have taught diverse populations, ya know? Maybe think of a strength and tell a story that illustrates it. Read what Alice wrote to the other cover letter poster. She always makes the point that you should show them what you can do for them and their students. I think it's good advice!

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 7, 2010

I agree with Melissa-- I think your letter is too generic.

Tell us a story that illlustrates just how effective you are. Make the reader think "Now THIS is a teacher I want to meet."

Tell us about one small success you've had with a particular student. Prove to us that you are good at what you do. Not with adjectives, but with an example of your success.

Tell us right now-- who are the students you've worked with that you'll never forget? I want a first name, and a sentence or two explaining why.

5. bluthster

bluthster New Member

Jul 8, 2010

Thanks for the advice! I completely changed the middle. Any feedback is appreciated:

Dear Superintendent,

I would love the opportunity to be interviewed for the Elementary Teacher position. With a teaching certificate in Elementary Education and a Bachelor of Arts Degree from the University of XX, I am very interested in teaching for the ABC School District.

As a XYZ Teaching Fellow, I have been fortunate to experience a variety of classrooms across the state and in Atlanta, New York, and England. Observing and tutoring in these different settings has inspired me and taught me to appreciate diversity. My time as a Teaching Fellow has given me a true passion for teaching and also a strong network of teacher peers.

Last year, I completed my student teaching in a second grade classroom at ABC Elementary. I taught a wonderfully diverse group of students, including one that I will never forget: Tom. Tom was falling behind in class because of his behavior problems. Most of the time, Tom knew the material but could not stay focused, especially during math. I knew that Tom really enjoyed sports so I differentiated his mathematics story problems by centering them around sports, and even planned a few math lessons that integrated physical exercise. By getting to know Tom and including his interests in my lessons, I was so pleased that Tom was able to control his behavior and succeed in mathematics.

With my range of experiences, enthusiasm, and drive, I am confident that I will make a positive contribution to your school district. I am excited about meeting in person to further discuss my qualifications. Thank you for taking the time to review my credentials and to consider me for employment with ABC Schools.

Best Regards,

Sarah

Also, if I drop my cover letter off at different schools is it okay to put To Whom it May Concern at the top, or should I address it to each principal? Thanks!

6. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 8, 2010

I like it a LOT better!! Add in a line about Tom's reaction to his success, and about whether or not that behavior change extendede beyond math.

Definitely address each one seperately!!

7. melissa803

melissa803 Comrade

Jul 8, 2010

Great!