Courtesy Call Back?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by VANewbie, Aug 16, 2010.

1. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 16, 2010

Anyone ever heard of this? I was on an interview panel today and we have pretty much picked the right person for the position but my P decided that we have to do a courtesy call back for two of the candidates because it is the professional thing to do.

We all KNOW for a FACT who will get the position.

Anyone ever heard of this?

It kind of makes me mad because its getting the hopes up of a candidate. Why not just have the first interview and be done with it.

3. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Aug 16, 2010

Yes, my P has done this before. :( I don't agree with it.

4. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2010

That stinks...I wonder if that was the case on my 3 2nd interviews this season! I hope not-I had to turn down a first interview at another district bc they were at the same exact time and neither could do it any other time.

School DIstricts can do literally whatever they want bc there are so many candidates.

5. SCTeachInTX

SCTeachInTX Fanatic

Aug 16, 2010

My district does this too. It is to show two other candidates that they were thought highly of and were absolutely in the realm of possibility of getting the job, but in reality, the P already knew who was going to be hired. Kinda odd, a little quirky, but at least the candidates feel like they had a chance and that they were the top of the litter of candidates. Really, I would rather just know...

6. chasingcomets

chasingcomets Rookie

Aug 16, 2010

Well, in a way, it does make a little bit of sense so that you can choose a backup option in case the first choice turns it down for some reason. It does stink that it gets up the hopes of somebody who they really don't plan to hire, though.

7. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 16, 2010

Yes I guess your right. I could be for backup reasons.

8. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2010

We did courtesy 2nd interviews for people who were already in district. They weren't our first choices, they didn't get the full time job offers. But it's the right thing to do...and it gave us a back up 'just in case'.

9. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 16, 2010

But I'm not sure why this is the right thing to do. I get that it is good for backup but why is it the right thing. Just because they worked in the district or the school?

10. Rebel1

Rebel1 Connoisseur

Aug 16, 2010

You'll never know what can happen, and stuff does happen.
    Even though it gives some a false hope, at :)least if something happens to the first choice, there are others who are still in the running; thus a true hope, and a step ahead of the rest.
    Rebel1

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 16, 2010

Sometimes it's a case of 'better the one you know than the one you don't'.

12. VANewbie

VANewbie Devotee

Aug 16, 2010

Nicely put!

13. diana

diana Rookie

Aug 16, 2010

If I was the interviewer, I'd rather do a thorough first interview session to choose the "winner" and the first runner-up and be done with the hiring process. But it's not like I give interviews for a living, so what do I know! :)

14. Anjuba

Anjuba Rookie

Aug 17, 2010

I was interviewed by the P in the district in which I live and have subbed in the past. It was very, very positive. He told me that he had observed me subbing and never saw a problem in my classroom. But, he went with someone else, although he did give me a courtesy call. I then found that a friend who had been in my M.Ed. class also interviewed and he told her that she did spectacular. Further, she was interviewed by the P, AP, and a teacher. I now feel that my interview probably was just a courtesy because I am from the community and it is a rural area where everyone knows everyone.

15. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Aug 17, 2010

Perhaps they are anticipating a possibility of other positions opening up, and a second interview might be to see if they'd be in the "we'll call if something opens up" pool? My district likes to have good qualified people they can call if they have something suddenly.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 17, 2010

I think it makes sense.

If you're down to your top 3 contenders, it's not a bad idea to see them all again, just to make sure that your gut feeling was right, and that the top contender wasn't a one trick pony.