Coupons

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Suburban Gal, Feb 19, 2009.

?

Do you regularly use coupons?

1. Yes

17 vote(s)
    56.7%
  2. No

13 vote(s)
    43.3%
  1. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Feb 19, 2009

So what do you guys think of them? Do you use them to help save you money?

I've been cutting and using them (along with my mother) for a few months now and boy, do they sure help save on stuff. I took 5 body wash coupons to Target a few days ago and saved $5.84 on various body washes — Oil of Olay, Soaftsoap, Irish Spring, and Suave. All but the Irish Spring were marked down so I was lucky to be saving some extra doe.

Given there's so many that don't get used, I cut those and put them into ziplock baggies. Every month I send a package of expired coupons to a U.S. military base overseas. The NEX and Commissary allow the overseas servicemembers up to 6 months from the date of expiration to use them. It makes me feel good to know I'm helping them out. (You, too, can get involved. CLICK HERE to learn how.)

They say you can save $100 a year by using coupons. :)

3. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2009

I love cutting coupons. It has always been my favorite "chore" and I still do it at my mom's house.

Having said that, I always forget to use them.

When I do use them, I have saved up to 50% of my bill when I used them and my grocery store card.

I also find that I will buy stuff just because I have a coupon for it, and then I am not really saving any money.

I am mixed about coupons. lol.

4. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 19, 2009

I USUALLY only use coupons on things I was going to buy anyway. If I see a coupon for an item that is "cool" but I really don't need, I don't cut it out. I really do save a lot with them. My favorite stores are the ones that double the coupons. Sometimes I end up getting the item for FREE or for only a few cents.

5. New3rdTeacher

New3rdTeacher Comrade

Feb 19, 2009

I love coupons. It's a challenge for me to save as much money as possible, it is so much fun for me when I see how much I have saved.

6. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 19, 2009

I use coupons when I can

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Feb 19, 2009

I don't check the papers regularly & clip away, but I should! :) I use more coupons for restaurants & clothes shopping than anything else. for example, Macy's & SteinMart offer coupons regularly & I get coupons for Souplantation about every month, so I don't really eat there more often than that.

8. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Feb 19, 2009

I use them if it is something I normally use. Norm got a steal of a deal on some bodywash... $2 coupon and Walmart had it for $2! Can't beat that! LOL.

We do our main grocery restocking at the beginning of the month. We've saved anywhere from $3 - $10 depending on the coupons found.

9. Suburban Gal

Suburban Gal (formerly Elizabeth) Banned

Feb 19, 2009

I've become addicted to it. :lol:

10. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Feb 19, 2009

when I was good about using them...I would save $6-$8 during a shopping trip. I only use them on items I normally use; if something looks interesting, then I'll purchase it using the coupon.

I really need to get back to using them; I have a pile of coupons sitting on my couch, but I haven't taken the time to cut them out; I guess if I get off of here; then I could do just that! :lol:

11. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Feb 19, 2009

I only clip the coupons for things that I actually buy. But if you consider $5 a week savings, that over $350 a year! I look on online for coupons where I shop like Macy's too. I love when the grocery stores have coupons too. albertson's has has a couple weeks where they double 4 coupons up to a dollar.

12. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 19, 2009

One store around here puts some coupons in the local Wendesday newspaper. I usually find one in the recycling bin at work :lol:

13. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Feb 21, 2009

I am using them more now. We always use them when we go out to eat, and a coupon will influence our choice. We get flyers in the mail weekly, so we always have some around. The only way I will shop at Macy's is with a coupon. They have gotten so expensive that I don't shop there as much as I used to. During Christmas, I waited for stores to have specials, and found Penny's to be the best.

14. EDUK8_ME

EDUK8_ME Cohort

Feb 21, 2009

I love coupons! My local grocery store doubles up to .50. My coupons over .50 I save in a separate envelope because about once a month K-Mart will double up to $2.00! This is when I buy most of my personal care and beauty products. That reminds me, K-mart's $2.00 double day ends today and we are having a blizzard. I might have to wait :(

15. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 21, 2009

Most grocery stores here double up to 99 cents. I've never seen a 99 cent coupon though LOL but the 75 cent coupons are great since that means $1.50!!

16. bballlady

bballlady Rookie

Feb 21, 2009

My local grocery store is tripling coupons up to 99 cents until Monday. My order came to $62.00 but with my coupons I paid $30.00. Many of the items are non-consumable which is fine because when summer rolls around and there's no paycheck I don't have to worry about dish det., paper towels, toilet paper, and cleaning supplies. They're just sitting on my shelf waiting to be used. Plus, many of the items ended up being free. I wish the grocery stores near me would accept internet coupons.

17. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 21, 2009

I used to use them. The grocery store I shop at now doesn't accept manufacturer's coupons, so I don't use them anymore.

The nice thing is that this grocery store DOES have their own coupons, which are never for a particular item. Instead, they're just for a dollar amount off, like $5 off a $20 purchase.

I love Fresh and Easy! :)

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Feb 21, 2009

Those items ARE consumable since you they do get used up. Do you mean non-perishable?

I love using internet coupons. I have not had a problem in my stores.

19. TeacherGrl7

TeacherGrl7 Devotee

Feb 21, 2009

This is such a pet peeve of mine!! I HATE coupons. I spend the time to cut and use them, because nobody can afford to spend unnecessary money, but come on. Can't these stores just put things on sale and be done with it? If PG wants to give 50 cents off a product, can't they just universally find a way to have the stores put that product on sale that week? Why do I need 7 supermarket cards to carry around with me and an envelope of coupons to save the money? I think the system needs to be reworked. :2cents:

20. scienceteach82

scienceteach82 Cohort

Feb 21, 2009

restaurant.com has a deal that if you buy the 25 dollar gift certificate...it's only 2 dollars instead of 10!
    use the code DINE

21. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Feb 21, 2009

I love coupons- I have enough toilet paper, paper towels, laundry detergent, kleenex & cat food to last me until Christmas. The paper towels were .25 a roll, the kleenex was .19 a box, and the rest was free (well, except tax). I haven't paid for TP in at least a year.

22. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Feb 21, 2009

I think coupons encourage us to buy things we wouldn't have bought without a coupon. In the original post, for example, I doubt the OP would have bought such a variety of body washes at one time without coupons.

I don't even subscribe to the newspaper, and I can't stand coupons. Now if I get a good one online for something I was going to buy anyway, then I do -- but other than that, I avoid them.