Couponing

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by MuckeyBusiness, Jul 28, 2012.

1. MuckeyBusiness

MuckeyBusiness Companion

Jul 28, 2012

So my boyfriend and I are starting to plan meals and budget together and I heard that a good way to help that is to start couponing. I've never used a coupon in my life and don't really know where to start to get coupons and what not. I've been looking at couponing sites but am still really confused... can anyone help explain?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 28, 2012

In your weekend paper, there usually are coupon inserts...start there. Cut out coupons for things you use...then it's helpful to organize them...get an expanding file...they make small ones that are perfect for coupons and have sections in them...sort your coupons: paper products, frozen, dairy, condiments, etc and file...then make your shopping list...use te weekly supermarket sales flyer to plan your list...go through your coupons and pull out anything that fits with your list...paper clip those to your list, but also take your coupon file to the store with you so you can pull additional coupons for things you may have forgotten to put on your list.
    Some more tips:

http://www.wickedcooldeals.com/money-saving-university/coupons-201-grocery-coupon-tips-and-tricks

4. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2012

I would start with the newspaper on Sundays. Cut the coupons out of there that you will use, and only use the ones that you'll use. Don't buy something just because you have a coupon, and figure out the per ounce cost for things before you use them. For example, a can of soup could be on sale with a coupon, but the store brand might be cheaper, KWIM?

I've also learned that Target will allow you to use a Target coupon and a manufacturers coupon for the same item at the same time, so if you have a Target near you, that's a real deal. You can look at the Target coupons online and print out the ones that you'll use.

Good luck with it. I've saved a ton of money when I've been disciplined enough to plan menus and coupon shop. I have gotten into the habit of buying a month's worth of something at a time if it's on sale, just so I don't have to buy it again at a higher price.

5. MuckeyBusiness

MuckeyBusiness Companion

Jul 28, 2012

So if I want to stock up on something i can just use more then 1 coupon?

6. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2012

At Target yes, as long as it's a Target coupon and a mfg. coupon. Otherwise, you can use multiple coupons for multiple items. If you want to get 5 boxes of cereal and have coupons for all 5, you can use them all. Some stores limit quantities, so you have to check.

7. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2012

Plus, if something is on sale and you use a coupon, you'll get it even cheaper. That's when I usually stock up, but I only keep a month's supply on hand. Other than that, it's too much for me.

8. MuckeyBusiness

MuckeyBusiness Companion

Jul 28, 2012

so right now i should just start to stock up on coupons and plan meals

9. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Jul 28, 2012

Yeah, and use the coupons you have for sure! Some coupons expire sooner than you think.

10. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 28, 2012

I use coupons all the time. I really don't ever buy anything other than the basics unless it's on sale . . . and usually the basics are ALWAYS on sale somewhere. I'll price match at Walmart for those items.

There was a couponing thread on here awhile back. I posted on that one. Getting ready to leave now, but maybe I can find it when I come back. I save most of my money on household items, not groceries . . . but I still use them on some groceries.

11. Iteach782

Iteach782 Comrade

Jul 28, 2012

I'm a coupon user. Most stores allow a store coupon plus a manufacturer's coupon per item. It's best to stock up on items when you can match a coupon with a store sale. I get 4 Sunday papers every week so that if I find a good sale, I can get at least 4 of those items. If you do not get the Sunday paper, I suggest printing out coupons from www.coupons.com. And like someone mentioned above, print coupons from the Target site. If you find a manufacturer's coupon from coupons.com for a product you'd like to purchase and a matching Target coupon from the Target site, you can use both coupons for that particular item.

12. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jul 28, 2012

Just be sure that you don't buy things just because it's on sale or you have a good coupon. I have wasted plenty of money (and food) over the years doing that. If you don't already use it, or you haven't been wanting to try it, you likely won't ever use it.

13. a2z

a2z Maven

Jul 28, 2012

You also have to be careful that the manufacturer's coupon will really end up saving you money. Save 30 cents when you buy 2 may still be more expensive than buying the store brand. If you like the store brand equally as well, there is no reason to buy the label at a higher price, even with a coupon.

There are a few products though that I hate the store brand and will look for a coupon and cross my fingers that it will be on sale at the same time.

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2012

Go to some places like Protector & Gamble... sign up free... they send some in the mail and they send you an email to let you know when they will put their flyers in the Sunday paper (usually around the end or right at the beginning of teh month). Also check your local stores. I know one of ours has it's own digital computers that you have to go to and clip(I say that but it's sent to your cell phone number...when you go in you put the cell number in the little thing that you slide your credit card thru...so no "clipping" with scissors.)! So check your stores.

15. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 30, 2012

The Vons in my area (Safeway in other areas) has a Just for Me program which is better for me than managing paper coupons. After you sign up, you go online weekly can check the coupons you might want to use, along with their deals, etc. When you check out, they come off automatically without needing the paper coupon. You can also print out a savings list. I save an average of about 30% but get higher when I am focusing on it more. I also get 5% back coupons after spending a certain amount because my son works at Vons so that is a bonus for me. He (we - lol) get them in the form of gift cards which I plan to use for Christmas shopping.

16. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jul 30, 2012

I agree with a lot of previous posters have said. Make sure you only use the coupons for products you will actually use. I've read many lables and have found that the store brand usually has less sodium & carbs then the store brand, so therefore I don't use too many coupons for groceries.

We have a look fruit/veggie market that is much cheaper then the grocery store. I can get 3 green peppers for a dollar there, but those same 3 peppers can cost as much as $5 at the grocery store. Same with cucumbers, apples and some other fruits/veggies.

There are some items that I only buy when I have a coupon & are on sale i.e. cake mixes, cookie mixes, granola bars, etc.

17. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Jul 30, 2012

In addition to what others have said, I also use the CellFire app on my blackberry to add a few additional coupons for things we use on my price plus card for Shoprite. They put new coupons up every 2 weeks. I check them and although it's not always helpful, this past weekend we got Ragu pasta sauce for dh on sale, plus a 40 cent off two coupon and a 50 cents off two cellfire coupon. It was a great price!

And in the same transaction, I got a buy one get one free head and shoulders...plus it was on sale!

Good luck with couponing...it can save you money for sure!

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 30, 2012

The thing I hate about some coupons is that you have to buy 2 of something to get $1.00 or whatever off. What if you only want 1 of the item. If it's a brand new item why would I want 2 of them if I have never even tried it before and not sure if I would like it. That drives me nuts!

19. Danny'sNanny

Danny'sNanny Connoisseur

Jul 30, 2012

I use a local blog to match up the sales and the coupons.

I don't clip about 75% until the matchup lists come out. Then the list will tell me that on Sunday, 7/whatever, I have a coupon for toothpaste, plus toothpaste is on sale at my store, making it free. This saves me time because I'm not clipping a ton of coupons I don't use, and is easier to manage than keeping a ton of clipped coupons sorted.

I have not bought a single paper in about 8 months of couponing. I've let family and coworkers know that I'm saving Sunday inserts, and usually end up with 4-6 each week.

I really didn't believe people when they told me how much I'd get for free or really cheap. My husband is starting to get on board because he gets treats he wouldn't normally get. I like the fun game of trying to get my total as low as possible.

Free- toothpaste, protein bars, granola bars, energy drinks, bottled teas, eggs, pasta bowls, candy, ice cream, guacamole
    Really Cheap - pasta, canned tomatoes, spaghetti sauce, cereal, cat litter, dog treats ...
    Save big on - cheese, chicken sausage, powdered drink mixes, chili beans, hot dogs...

20. Jinkies

Jinkies Rookie

Jul 30, 2012

Couponing is amazing! I have saved so much money by using coupons. I think that the best place to start is at hip2save.com . It is completely free, and she is great at explaining how to coupons. She will even post the national store's ads and matching coupons to show you how to get things for free or cheap.

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 30, 2012

I like Hip2Save. And I get a daily update from www.Freebiesfrenzy.com.

If your grocery store offers buy one, get one free specials, you can use two coupons with that. You can get some really great prices that way.

Sometimes Target offers a $5 gift card with the purchase of two items (like large packages of paper towels or toilet paper).

22. SpecialPreskoo

SpecialPreskoo Moderator

Aug 4, 2012

Here are some good sites...

southernsavers.com
    hip2save.com
    thekrazycouponlady.com
    ihearttarget.com (also has links for CVS, Publix, etc.)

23. Jinkies

Jinkies Rookie

Aug 7, 2012

I just got back from Target and I got a bottle of Garnier shampoo, a bottle of Garnier conditioner, a 10 pack of disposable razors, 2 notebooks for school (the good kind too :) not the cheapo ones that rip easily), 2 things of scotch tape, 2 bottles of Comet stainless steel cleaner, air freshener and a bag of Hersheys chocolate for only $3 total! If I hadn't used coupons that would have cost about $25-$30. So you can save a TON of money by using coupons but you do need to plan and make sure you aren't buying something just because you have a coupon (unless of course its free :) then I buy it and if I won't use it I donate it).