Couple who sit on the same side at restaurants?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Em_Catz, Jun 30, 2013.

1. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 30, 2013

During date night, I noticed the couple near us were sitting on the same side of the table:confused:(it was just the two of them, no one else joined their party).

They were in their early to mid 40s. The man sat on the outside with his legs spread open and the woman was squished against the wall looking very uncomfortable and like she needed more space. :confused: They placed their order and barely looked at each other or spoke. :confused:Their food arrived, they ate (still with little interaction:confused:) and left.

Personally, I've never been a "same sider" even when I'm in the infatuation faze of a relationship. I feel like I can have a better conversation when I'm sitting across from the person because I can see their eyes. I also like having the freedom to put my purse on the seat, put my legs there, spread out my elbows, etc

Even when fiance and I are eating at home, unless we're sitting on the couch or on our balcony, we prefer to sit across from each other. Same thing with my girlfriends. The only time I do the whole same side thing is if I'm in a group (ie: when we double date, I always sit next to fiance. Or when we had a birthday dinner for my Mom & we were a party of 24, fiance sat beside me.)

If it's just me and one other person, we always sit across.

How about you guys? And if you are a same sider I'm curious why. I mentioned this to a friend and she said she used to do this in college if she and her date were in a playful mood and wanted to tickle and tease each other.

EDIT: The vast majority of same siders that I see don't do that. I don't think it's just a "young" or "old" thing either because I see same-siders of all ages (and sometimes even the same gender though in many of those cases, the same siders didn't appear to be romantically involved)

3. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2013

We sit on the same side a lot, but not all of the time. I have a quiet voice so it can be easier to talk when we're close. We also sometimes sit on the same side when we get a table that has booth seating on one side and chairs on the other-we both want the booth!

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2013

I've seen couples sit cross from each other who spend a lot of time texting....doesn't matter where you sit...it's about being connected-even if you're across the room from each other.

5. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jun 30, 2013

My husband and I like to sit same side of a booth. We just like to be close.

If the couple chose to sit that way, I'm guessing they wanted to.

6. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2013

Maybe they were in a playful mood and doing things that you couldn't see ... Playful moods can be fun .......:p

7. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2013

This is an episode of Seinfeld. As most things in life are, of course!

I feel similarly to George... ;)

8. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 30, 2013

We only sit on the same side if we are with others. I carry a big purse. lol

9. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2013

We sit on opposite sides of a booth (when we're alone) or adjacent sides of a square table. I like to look at the person I'm talking to.

10. Pisces_Fish

Pisces_Fish Fanatic

Jun 30, 2013

My BF and I typically sit on the same side of a table when we're out to eat, but we've only been dating 2 months, so we're in the "infatuation stage."

11. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2013

The "infatuation stage" can last forever ....... if you work at it.... :)

12. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jun 30, 2013

I don't hear well, so I can't carry on a conversation with someone unless I can see his/her mouth. I need to be sitting across the table.

I'm claustrophobic, so I can't sit on the inside of a booth. When I have to, it completely freaks me out and I can't enjoy my food. Sometimes I have to ask to be excused and leave the table.

13. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jun 30, 2013

It seems that same-sider seating couples do it to be more intimate/close with each other. I see others do it once in a blue moon. I personally like sitting across from my SO. My SO's sat on the same side of me temporarily sometimes to kiss me while we're waiting for our food, but throughout the meal, we're across from each other.

I'd also like to add, my BF & I have become so picky that we practically MUST have a booth. I don't care for dining at regular tables in restaurants. If that's the last resort, then OK.

14. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Jun 30, 2013

Only on the same side when with others. As parents of 3, we usually need to divide and conquer the meal time chaos. When out as a couple (hmm, forgot what that feels like...) we sit across from each other.

15. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2013

While I feel easily claustrophobic in other situations, I'm the opposite when it comes to the booth. I am very uncomfortable sitting on the outside of the booth...I feel so exposed. Terrible feeling! If we're eating with others I simply must be on the inside.

16. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2013

I hardly ever eat in restaurants with booths....and when I do, I'm usually with friends.

17. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 30, 2013

You all kiss while waiting for food? Like...enough that he needs to be sitting next to you?!

But I'm with you on the booths. We have left when there were no booths. We of course are nice about it...we kind of laugh at ourselves for being strange so they don't think we're mean and snobby. ;)

18. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2013

Not into PDA.

19. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Jun 30, 2013

I like sitting at a table with chairs. We sit "next" to each other but we can still talk and see each other without turning completely to the side.

20. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2013

I would gladly give you the "inside", JustMe....... I would have to sit on the outside. But actually when we (my wife and I) do sit in a booth we sit facing one another....... In most cases I prefer a table to a booth. In any case I will not sit with my back to the door. That just doesn't work for me.

21. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 30, 2013

:wub: True, though you can also be (secretly) playful while sitting across from one another, especially if at least one person has long legs... ;)

Me too! Plus I always feel like I have so much stuff (cup with creamer, dish of butter, plate for bread, salad and/or soup bowl, entree bowl, a glass of water, a glass of soda/wine, etc)

Hope I didn't offend you. I consider myself still very in love with fiance, but during the infatuation phase we weren't able to contain ourselves (i think i posted a long time ago about how when we first started dating he kept kissing me, snuggling me and trying to pull me into his lap...at a FAMILY dinner at my parents house:eek:). We still hold hands, snuggle, flirt with each other, etc but now that the infatuation phase is over we're able to keep it in check so that we aren't making other people uncomfortable.

I don't know if I am claustrophobic, but sitting on the inside of a booth, pew at church, etc makes me uncomfortable mainly because I don't like having to wait to get up and sit down. Like today we had breakfast with my aunt, uncle, nephew and cousins in a huge booth and somehow I ended up on the inside with three people between me and the booth. It was really annoying to have to wait for all of them to slide over each time I got up.

22. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 30, 2013

Reminds me of an old friend.;)

23. Em_Catz

Em_Catz Devotee

Jun 30, 2013

My dad and fiance are the same way because they both enjoy people watching and want to make sure if there's any sign of danger, they aren't taken off guard (my parents were once at a store that was mugged and my dad had his back to the mugger. since then, he refuses to sit facing the door.)

24. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 30, 2013

I've always sat across from my other half.

25. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 30, 2013

I'm not a fan of sitting next to my husband if we're the only ones at the table.

26. Major

Major Connoisseur

Jun 30, 2013

He's a wise guy to sit where he can see the door ....... :)

27. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Jun 30, 2013

I was about to say that my husband likes to sit on the same side, but I realized that I like it too! We can hear each other better, share the same view, and can easily share samples of each other's food.

28. bison

bison Habitué

Jun 30, 2013

We go out to eat a lot and I'm a same sider! BF thought this was just a cute quirk when we started dating and a few years later, he's a same sider too! I'm not into PDA and am generally hungry rather than playful when we go out to eat, but I love it for the same reasons Special-t said. My voice is quiet and he can hear me better, we like to browse the menu together and try each other's food, talk about the view, etc. The most affectionate thing I generally may do is lean on his shoulder or hold his hand while we wait for food, just out of habit/comfort. It feels weird to sit across from each other now, like we're really far away and staring at each other. We don't do it if we're squished or our elbows are knocking, but that's almost never the case. I'm pretty small. Of course, if we're seated at a table for two and it's not possible, it's no big deal. Happens all the time, we're flexible! We'll still look longingly at the bigger tables where we could be next to each other! :lol:

Edit to add: The couple in the OP just sounds odd. If I'm being squished, I tell BF to move over! He would never want me to be uncomfortable unnecessarily :dizzy:

29. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jun 30, 2013

We sit on opposite sides of the table when we go out to eat. He's a lefty and I'm a righty so if we don't sit down correctly, we bump and it's annoying. We also have a little one who joins us at most dinners out so one of us needs to sit next to him.

30. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Jun 30, 2013

We sit on opposite sides. When we're with the kids it's girls on one side, guys on the other. Our kids are 17 & 21 & we still "divide & conquer". My son likes to stretch his legs out & that bugs my daughter. :whistle:

31. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2013

We sit on opposite sides in a booth and adjacent sides at a table. Footsie is a little more fun when you're across from each other ;)

32. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Jul 1, 2013

Not really. At times here & there, my BF will initiate it & it sure isn't the passionate, lingering type kissing. :)

33. Cicero

Cicero Companion

Jul 1, 2013

My fiance and I have sat on the same side sometimes. It's more of a spur of the moment decision. We both prefer having more space while we're eating, and I think it's harder to talk that way.

34. mmswm

mmswm Moderator

Jul 1, 2013

I'm generally an opposite sider, but last week bf and I did do the same side thing. I went to work with him, and as he's a long haul trucker, that meant being gone for the week, and an occasionally very stressed out driver. We stopped one night for dinner and the place we ate had a tv on the wall. We both wanted to watch the news, so we both sat on the same side in order to see the tv. Given that we'd, at that point, just spent three days trapped together in the same vehicle, with two more days to go, we weren't much into talking at that point.

35. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2013

This is true for us as well.

36. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Jul 1, 2013

This is true for us, too!

We sit on opposite sides always, unless we're out with other people. I like having space to eat! lol

37. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Jul 1, 2013

I like to sit next to my husband occasionally. It's for closeness mostly. Most of the time I will put my head on his shoulder or hold his hand. No funny business usually! If I was uncomfortable like the lady in the original post I'd make DH move!

38. Jerseygirlteach

Jerseygirlteach Groupie

Jul 1, 2013

Normally, when we go out to eat, we're with our kids. So, the majority of the time, DH and I are on one side and the kids are on the other. However, on the rare occasion that we get to go out without them, we sit on opposite sides. It's just easier to talk that way.

39. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 1, 2013

When I usually go out with dh, we get a table for two....seats are opposite each other...I like face to face conversation, gazing into each other's eyes.:love:...if we get seated at a larger table, we tend to sit on adjacent sides. As I said earlier, the restaurants we frequent tend not to have booths.