County in MS ordered to stop segregation practices...in 2010!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by smurfette, Apr 13, 2010.

1. smurfette

smurfette Habitué

Apr 13, 2010

3. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Apr 13, 2010

Didn't the Civil Rights movement happen a few decades ago??

4. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Apr 13, 2010

Where's Jonathan Kozol!?

5. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Apr 13, 2010

Wow!

6. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Apr 13, 2010

Oh my.

7. Grover

Grover Cohort

Apr 13, 2010

****. Now they'll have to move to Idaho to keep their kids in all-white schools.

8. ms.

ms. Comrade

Apr 13, 2010

While there are a few pockets of neo-nazi's in Idaho, there are not that many, unless you're in Coeur d'Alene.

I have a sister who teaches in Idaho and there is a more diversity, mostly because of the agricultural industry and migrant populations.

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Apr 14, 2010

I wonder who can attend that school's prom...

10. Grover

Grover Cohort

Apr 14, 2010

I'm not saying there are a lot of neo-nazis, just that there are a LOT of white people, and while it's true that there are a lot more minorities than there were a few decades ago, there are quite a few classrooms with no non-white students at all. What I'm bemoaning is the idea that this may attract Georgians who still object to integration.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Apr 14, 2010

Woah! :eek: I honestly had no idea that that kind of thing still exists in this country. I mean I figured there's still some types of racism in the southern states, but nothing like that. How sad that that was still going on all this time. :(

12. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Apr 14, 2010

Wow. There are just no words....

13. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 14, 2010

Racism, like any form of prejudice, occurs everywhere. It is not confined to one geographical region, as the posts referencing neo-Nazi groups in Idaho should suggest.

As for the issue at hand, I agree completely the classes within the school should not be segregated, but I can't help wondering what the headlines would be if the racial mixture were reversed and it was the black students transferring to the one school where they form the majority. If the county announced plans to prevent black students from transferring to that school, I feel very safe in saying the ACLU, NAACP, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would all be racing each other down there to raise moral and civil indignation over the decision.

14. ms.

ms. Comrade

Apr 14, 2010

I got that, but I think it's better not to stereotype.

15. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Apr 14, 2010

Yes, there are racists all over but only in some backwoods ignorant place like this could a government agency (school board) get away with garbage like this. You still have enclaves of deep racism and people still trying to seperate themselves from folks they deem inferior. In 1970, whites in Miss. basically abandoned the public school system and all set up private schools. I guess some cant afford it now and this nasty little group tried to do it through the local public system.

16. futureteach21

futureteach21 Habitué

Apr 14, 2010

How sad that this is still a reality in our country.

17. 3Sons

3Sons Enthusiast

Apr 14, 2010

It's not stereotyping to note that the demographics of Idaho would lead to a lot of all-white classrooms. Assuming the right numbers, it's math.

I agree with Cerek that it exists all over the place. I'm trying to get class lists from a parent for a nearby school -- she's indicated to my wife that it may be racially segregated (she's foreign, and didn't even realize how verboten this is). She doesn't want to start a fuss, but I'll definitely say something to the principal if it proves out.

I don't even think it was necessarily done maliciously, but (assuming she's right) it's monumentally foolish. Principals don't really have all that much law to adhere to when putting kids in classes, you'd expect them to follow the ones that do exist.

Oh. And I'm in northern NJ. Hardly a southern state.

18. Miss84

Miss84 Comrade

Apr 14, 2010

I'm not surprised, racism is definitely prevalent even now. Sad but true.

19. cutNglue

cutNglue Magnifico

Apr 14, 2010

That got a chuckle out me considering I've been following that thread... (not that either situation is comical).

20. Toak

Toak Cohort

Apr 14, 2010

My school always put the black kids in the same homeroom....But then it was very rare to have more than one black kid in the same grade. I always figured they wanted to keep them together when that happened because they were often the only two black faces in the entire school. The teachers often had them sit next to each other too

21. silverspoon65

silverspoon65 Enthusiast

Apr 14, 2010

It exists everywhere. Northern DE is a textbook case. It isn't intentional - it is just that the inner city areas happen to have the most minorities, particularly blacks. If they sent kids to neighborhood schools, they would essentially be segregated school districts. So in order to promote diversity, they try to re-draw district lines but then you have kids going to school all over the place. There is no easy solution.

But if you think it doesn't happen, pick up "Shame of a Nation" by Jonathan Kozol. Or "The World We Created at Hamilton High" by Gerald Grant.

22. indigo-angel

indigo-angel Companion

Apr 14, 2010

[As for the issue at hand, I agree completely the classes within the school should not be segregated, but I can't help wondering what the headlines would be if the racial mixture were reversed and it was the black students transferring to the one school where they form the majority. If the county announced plans to prevent black students from transferring to that school, I feel very safe in saying the ACLU, NAACP, Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton would all be racing each other down there to raise moral and civil indignation over the decision.[/QUOTE]

Ironic, since the ACLU, NAACP, Jesse Jackson, and Al Sharpton are proponents of integration, not segregation, and have fought for years to integrate businesses, labor unions, and education instituions.

23. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 14, 2010

Ironic, since the ACLU, NAACP, Jesse Jackson, and Al Sharpton are proponents of integration, not segregation, and have fought for years to integrate businesses, labor unions, and education instituions.[/QUOTE]

The ACLU and NAACP, maybe, but not Jesse and Al. If you take an objective look at their actions, they are more interested in stoking the fires of racism rather than quenching them. And I still contend if it were black students that were prevented from transferring to the school of their choice, the cries of racism would be leveled at the government preventing the transfers rather than supporting it.

24. Grover

Grover Cohort

Apr 14, 2010

The ACLU and NAACP, maybe, but not Jesse and Al. If you take an objective look at their actions, they are more interested in stoking the fires of racism rather than quenching them. And I still contend if it were black students that were prevented from transferring to the school of their choice, the cries of racism would be leveled at the government preventing the transfers rather than supporting it.[/QUOTE]

Well, I gotta say, there's a preety big 'what if' there. The day that majority-black schools have a noticable advantage over other schools it may be a concern, but at the moment the question is moot.

25. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Apr 14, 2010

Well, I gotta say, there's a preety big 'what if' there. The day that majority-black schools have a noticable advantage over other schools it may be a concern, but at the moment the question is moot.[/QUOTE]

Exactly. Let's look at the power structures and relationships in society today and the associations of such with racial ethnicities. When do majority-black institutions have institutional power over those of majority white or other in this society?

26. indigo-angel

indigo-angel Companion

Apr 15, 2010

The point I'm making is that Jesse Jackson and Al Sharpton have worked with many organizations, including the aforementioned ones, to promote integration and de-segregation. I'm talking about things that they have done, not what I saw on the nightly news or heard on talk radio. Thank You.

27. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 15, 2010

Fair enough. So what noticeable advantage does this one white-majority school in the county have over the other 4 black-majority schools - other than the racial mixture, of course.

And, if racial mixture is the only advantage, I re-submit my suggestion that the whole tone of this issue would be reversed if it were black students wanting to transfer to the only black-majority school in the county.

28. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 15, 2010

I am also talking about things they have done. You're welcome. :)

29. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Apr 16, 2010

It's very likely that the white-majority school would have better per capita/student funding, and more attention paid to their needs.

30. webmistress

webmistress Devotee

Apr 16, 2010

Which leads to higher test scores, which leads to higher morale among the students, teachers, and parents. It's a totally different world and environment.

In this district, there are no majority black schools that even come close to the successes of majority white schools. I thought it was like this everywhere, with the exception of private and charter schools.

31. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 16, 2010

That's a pretty big assumption to make since the article mentioned nothing about the funding of the different schools. I agree it is possible and national statistics would support this general assumption, but I'm more interested in the specifics of this particular school system in this county.

I live in a rural area as well. There are 4 high schools, 5 middle schools and 7 elementary schools. It is not uncommon for some systems to feel another system is getting more funding/attention and, for years, it was strongly felt the school system located at the county seat got "first dibs" on everything from new equipment and books to better funding overall.

I think the same principle applies to most of the rural districts, the biggest school or the one nearest the county seat seems to get the most attention when it comes to funding or special needs.

Given the history of MS school systems, it is possible the white-majority school is receiving better funding, but that is something that should be confirmed (if possible) before making the assumption. I'll see if I can find any numbers on the funding of the schools in that district.

32. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 16, 2010

Here is some data regarding the schools in Walthall County.

Mississippi DOE - Walthall County Schools

There are 3 high schools in the county: Tylertown, Salem and Dexter. Tylertown is the largest of the three, with an enrollment of nearly 3:1 to Salem (the 2nd largest). Dexter High is the smallest of the 3 schools and is also the only school with an all-black enrollment.

Looking at the ACT and MCT2 scores for Tylertown and Salem, it's hard to find any significant difference in the overall percentages. A higher percentage of white students seem to be meeting state standards within both schools, but the overall results are fairly even. Both schools are listed "At Risk of Failing" in their Accountability Status. Dexter is listed as "Failing".

The average enrollment for grades 9-12 is 40 for Salem and 116 for Tylertown. This same ratio applies to grade levels 7 & 8 as well. Given their much smaller enrollment and class size, it would be natural to expect Salem to be a much better performing school, since the teachers could give more individual attention to the students, but the percentages don't reflect this. I haven't had time to break down the individual categories, but the two schools (Salem and Tylertown) appear to be relatively equal on the state standards.

I've not found any data on funding yet. Given the enrollment statistics, the majority of funding should[/b] be going to the Tylertown schools, since it is easily the largest school system in the county. If Salem is receiving more than 1/3 the funding of Tylertown, then the point of better per capita/student funding seems valid (although other factors could be involved). Even if that is the case, it doesn't appear Salem has produced higher test scores or performance among their students, since their statistics are still very comparable to Tylertown.

33. indigo-angel

indigo-angel Companion

Apr 16, 2010

So fighting for integration, equality, and fairness for an oppressed group of people is synonymous to fueling racial tensions. Got it :rolleyes:

34. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Apr 16, 2010

I really don't think it has to do with racism at all, I think it's got to do with parents not wanting their kids to go to a ghetto school.

And, what about private schools, why are they so popular? Isn't that a bit racist having your kid in a private school? Thousands of dollars spent a year on keeping your kid away from something/someone??????

35. Grover

Grover Cohort

Apr 16, 2010

It can be racist and have to do with keeping your kids out of a ghetto school at the same time. In fact, it's hard to separate the two. And yes, a great deal of the attraction of many private schools is fundamentally racist, and another significant part is classist.

36. indigo-angel

indigo-angel Companion

Apr 16, 2010

The thing I find interesting about this case is that the district is clearly segregated and is putting on a facade of integration by having white students in the majority black school. Why are there majority white schools and majority black schools? Why isn't each school more equally balanced? I think that the other schools don't want the black students, so they pile them up in one school and force a few white students to attend. That way, the district is desgregated and they don't have to worry about black students going to the "white" schools.

37. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 17, 2010

I was thinking of more infamous incidents involving these two, but you can overlook those if you wish. ;)

38. Grover

Grover Cohort

Apr 17, 2010

Such as?

39. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Apr 17, 2010

Duke Lacrosse Team accused attacking and raping an exotic dancer - Jesse Jackson flies to Durham, NC to pay the dancer's legal fees. He also makes several public statements condemning the actions of the lacrosse team players and promises to do everything in his power to see them brought to justice. When some inconsistencies in the victims account of the incident, Jesse is asked about the possibility the lacrosse team may be innocent. He states on CNN that, IF it can be shown the boys are truly innocent, he will personally apologize to them, however he is certain that won't happen because there is no doubt in his mind they victimized the girl. Fast forward one year to the trial, during which the dancer finally admits she DID lie about the incident and the boys never attacked her. Does Jesse make good on his promise to apologize? Nope. Instead, he blames the town and society for creating a situation where the victim had to demean herself by working as a stripper. He vows to pay for the girls college education so she can better her situation. That's a nice gesture, but there are plenty of other jobs the girl could have worked and Jesse didn't seem bothered about any of the other girls working for the same company as the victim being forced to demean themselves.

Don Imus vs Rutgers women's basketball team - As we all know, Imus makes a very ignorant racial remark on the air while talking about the Rutger's basketball team in 2007. There is no excuse for this ignorance, but to his credit, Imus apologizes and faces his accusers. He arranges a meeting with the Rutgers' team and coach so he can apologize in person while also giving them a chance to say exactly what they feel about him to his face. Al Sharpton demands Imus be fired from his radio show and taken off the air permanently. After contacting Sharpton, Imus agrees to go on his radio show to face his critics there as well. Despite being apologetic and admitting there is no excuse for what he did, The Reverend Sharpton shows no mercy or forgiveness. Instead, he continually blasts Imus for the duration that Imus is there. Of course, Sharpton ignores the fact he has made anti-Semitic remarks in the past and, when asked if he felt remorse or owed an apology for his comments, Al has reacted with righteous indignation. Sharpton insists Imus should be fired for using such racially-charged language on the air. Then it is brought to Sharpton's attention that several rappers regularly use the same "racially charged language" in their songs. Al says he plans to address that too.....sometime. But he doesn't call for them to be fired from the record labels or lose their recording contracts. And, to date, he has not found time to actually follow up on the promise to address the lyrics being used by these artists.

Duane "Dog" Chapman (bounty hunter) - His son records a private conversation with Dog in which the bounty hunter uses the "N" word, then releases this secret tape to the media. Once again, Al Sharpton demands that A&E cancel Dog Chapmans show and terminate their contract with him. In other words, Dog should lose this source of income because of something he said in the privacy of his own home, NOT on the air or on the show Sharpton demands be cancelled. A&E bows to the pressure and puts the show on hold for several months, before deciding to renew it after Dog makes several public appearances and apologizes for his mistake. Once again, though, Al ignores his own past remarks and still doesn't have time to go after the artists who continue using racial slurs towards their own people every day.

Those are some of the most recent incidents. There was also an incident in the early 90's when 3 black students were either suspended or expelled from school for starting a fight at a football game. The school had adopted a "zero tolerance" policy that year because of a long history of violent fights on campus. The entire student body was told about the new policy during a mandatory assembly at the beginning of the year and were also told that ANYONE violating this new policy would automatically be suspended or expelled. Jesse flies to the school and claims the 3 students are being discriminated against because they are black, even though video footage of the game clearly shows those 3 students started the fight. No, Jesse, they aren't being suspended because they're black - they are being suspended because they broke the rules and the principal told the entire school this would be the punishment if that happened.

40. indigo-angel

indigo-angel Companion

Apr 17, 2010

Al Sharpton has addressed the derogatory language used in hip hop several times; both on his show and in other public forums. He has also been demonized for it by several rappers who also went on a "crusade" against him a couple of years ago...that didn't get much press. My bone is that the only media attention Sharpton and Jackson seem to get is negative and it is done purposely to devalue the work that they have done within the black community (which rarely gets media attention). They have started programs that have helped many people get to college and pursue their education, they have worked on programs to help people buy homes, promote financial literacy,entrepreneurship, and help people get access to healthcare.They are also addressing many of the ills in underserved African American communities across the nation such as violence, illiteracy, and unemployment. You may overlook all of those as you wish;) For the record, I am not an a gung-ho fan of either Sharpton or Jackson, but I am peeved at the amount of disrespect shown to some public figures from certain groups by people who have not benefitted from the good that they have done within certain communities.

41. Grover

Grover Cohort

Apr 17, 2010

I'm pretty much on board with Indigo here, though probably even less of a fan of Sharpton and Jackson. What I find interesting is that the general message regarding discrimination gets devalued by the personal foibles of the messengers, who do certainly have pretty serious foibles. Along with this, Cerek, you conflated these two individuals with a couple of organizations that have very distinct purposes and histories. So, while I agree that it's impossible to predict when Jackson and Sharpton might go off the rails and do something stupid, I feel that the whole introduction of the speculation is a way of minimizing the real issues in play. Perhaps that's not your intention, but that's the effect.