country symbols

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by 1gdteach, Mar 10, 2008.

1. 1gdteach

1gdteach Companion

Mar 10, 2008

Does anyone have any fun lesson plans/ activities on our country's symbols. Like the statue of liberty, the flag, the liberty bell etc. 1st grade.

3. Carebear05

Carebear05 Comrade

Mar 10, 2008

You could probably do some art projects with these. Like have them make a flag out of construction paper or a monument out of clay or something. I am doing this unit right now myself, but I'm honestly not doing anything that exciting just because I've been out for one thing so I'm rushing to finish it, and I didn't find a lot of really exciting things to do with it.

4. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 10, 2008

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Mar 10, 2008

Ok, I think this is more abstract than you are thinking, but they are the kinds of things I do. We discussed flags and what the different parts represent, then they were able to use a variety of materials to make their own personal flag and explain what different things meant. For the constitution we discussed what it was (in a basic way) and made a classroom constitution and ll signed it. For the bell you could use egg carton bottoms and cut them off the carton, pant them, and poke a pipe cleaner through the bottom to make a bell shape - if you want it to ring place a jingle bell on the inside connected to the pipe cleaner.

6. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2008

in my son's art class...they did a freehand 3D of the Statue of Liberty; they're older (7th grade), but you could print out a photo, have them cut out and they could make a stand for it out of paper.

7. TeacherSandra

TeacherSandra Enthusiast

Mar 11, 2008

for the bald eagle...they could write down interesting facts about the bald eagle on paper cut out in the shape of an eagle.

8. Eddie

Eddie Companion

Mar 11, 2008

My son's class is doing a short in-class play where each person has a memorized part (very few words) about a symbol. They also sing patriotic songs throughout. They invite their reading buddies and parents. Very low key, but the kids really get into it and learn a lot about US symbols.

9. Eddie

Eddie Companion

Mar 11, 2008

The class has also been creating a America A to Z book based off of the book, A is for America by Scillian & Carroll. Each week they make a page connecting an alphabet letter to a patriotic symbol or ideal. It will become a great keepsake and the kids are learning slowly and steadily about their country. Here's the book link http://www.amazon.com/America-Devin...bs_sr_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1205270780&sr=8-1