Country Music?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by njteach41, Jun 21, 2007.

1. njteach41

njteach41 Middle School Social Studies Teacher

Jun 21, 2007

I'm from NJ so country music fans are pretty..... scarce. Any fans out there? Go to any concerts? Who's good to see live? What songs are on the top of your list these days?

3. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Jun 21, 2007

I LOVE country music! My current favorites are Miranda Lambert, the Randy Rogers Band (don't know if his music has made it to NJ yet, but he is getting some airtime on CMT), Dierks Bentley, and Cross Canadian Ragweed. Hubby and I have seen all but Dierks live, and they all put on incredible shows.
    Favorite songs:
    Miranda Lambert--"Gunpowder and Lead"
    RRB--"If I Told You the Truth"
    Dierks--"Free and Easy, Down the Road I Go"
    CCR--"Flowers" or "Proud Souls"

Last edited: Jun 21, 2007
  4. Edelweiss

Edelweiss Rookie

Jun 21, 2007

Ohhh...now you're speaking my language!

The last concert I went to was Toby Keith. It was really good. So was Tim McGraw. And Montgomery Gentry. The Dixie Chicks put on a fantastic show. Oh, and Keith Urban plays the guitar like Carlos Santana - he's AMAZING! I wasn't crazy about Hank Williams, Jr....I think he's just getting to old to do a great show. Same goes for David Allen Coe - he was actually drunk and couldn't sing half his songs.

Right now, my favorite "New Country" songs are Billy Currington's "Good Directions," Jason Aldean's "Johnny Cash," and LeAnn Rimes's "Nothin' Better to Do." Some of my all-time favorites are Merle Haggard's "Silver Wings," George Strait's "Baby's Gotten Good at Goodbye," and George Jones's "He Stopped Loving Her Today."

ETA - Yes, yes! I forgot to mention Miranda Lambert...I LOVE "Kerosene!"

5. njteach41

Jun 21, 2007

My boyfriend and I love country music... rare for NJ lol. But.. in concert we've seen: Kenny Chesney with Carrie Underwood and Dierks Bentley... we've seen Kenny twice and he's amazing. Leann Rimes was AMAZING in concert, I'd definitely go see her again... umm Rascal Flatts were good live, but Gary Allan opening for them was even better. We're huge concert go'ers and when country music comes to the area we're right ontop of it.

Right now i love.... Craig Morgan - "Almost Home" "Little Bit of Life", Dierks, Leann Rimes, Kenny Chesney, Alan Jackson- "Red on a Rose" "A Woman's Love", umm Pat Green - "Dixie Lullaby"

There is not one country music radio station in NJ... so me and my boyfriend had to get XM Radio which has about 7 or 8, plus WSIX a country radio station from Nashville, its GREAT!!

6. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2007

YES... I am a HUGE country fan!!! We are gearing up to see Tim & Faith in July!!! The last one we went to was Tim's solo tour (he actually taped a lot of the "real good man" video at our concert...you know the swirly color shirt during the concert that was us!!!)
    I have seen the "older" new country artist in concert up to Tim!!! I really like Tim & Kenny. My new fav is my cousins band (hoping...everything crossed) they get their deal soon!!! They are opening for a really big free concert this weekend with people like Dierks, Sara Evans, Josh Turner, Bucky Covington, the Wrecker, Jason Michael Carrol (song Alyssa Lies) & more. I'm not going to this free event because it is CRAZY!!! Over 70,000 people are there!!!

I really like Clay Walker as well!!!

Have you met any country singers & what did you think???

7. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Jun 21, 2007

Oooh, yes! Clay Walker!:love:
    I am not a fan of Tim McGraw. I do like Faith, though.
    I've met Cody Canada, of Cross Canadian Ragweed, Randy Rogers and his full band, and the members of a local band that hubby and I like. I have not met any country "superstars", but the guys I have met have been very nice and down-to-earth. They are very appreciative of their fans.

8. njteach41

Jun 21, 2007

I haven't met any famous superstars either. For some reason I'm not a big fan of Tim, Faith isn't at the top of my list but I do like her. I've only been into country music for about a year or so now, and in jersey and on xm radio i really only get the mainstream country music. If I like Craig Morgan, Kenny Chesney, Dierks, Pat Green, what "non-mainstream" artists would you suggest?

Any Bruce Hornsby or Marc Cohn fans... LOVE them

9. Steph-ernie

Steph-ernie Groupie

Jun 21, 2007

oooh, I love country music! I've seen Kenny Chesney, Rascal Flats, and Lonestar live. Kenny Chesney was my favorite. I saw him last summer, and it was awesome! I would love to see Tim and Faith - Tim McGraw has long been one of my favorites.

10. ValinFW

ValinFW Comrade

Jun 21, 2007

NJ~Check out www.lonestarmusic.com. It is a site dedicated to Texas singer/songwriters. You can listen to clips of the artists' cds, read bios, see concert calendars. (Yes...some of them do make it to New England from time to time!)
    A new group that I discovered this weekend is Blacktop Gypsy. Two female singer/songwriters from, of course, Texas.

11. TXTCHR29

TXTCHR29 Cohort

Jun 21, 2007

I love country music as well....My favorites are: Reba McEntire, Martina McBride, Kenny Chesney, Carrie Underwood, Sugarland

Recently I saw, Reba McEntire and Dierks Bentley

Last week I saw Kenny Chesney, Sugarland, and Taylor Swift...It was AWESOME!!!!

12. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2007

I have had the chance years ago to meet Brooks & Dunn, Ty England (played guitar for Garth, but solo for a little while), Daryl Singletary, Rick Trevino, the Tractors! Can I just say Ty was the nicest guy!!! We waited probably about an hour or so & it was getting chilly & I got up to meet him. He gave me the biggest HUG & said Honey you are getting chilly just to meet me!!! I have a GREAT photo of him giving me a hug!!!

TXTCHR...my cousins band did the opening for Kenny's after party gig when he was here!!!

I like Martina, Taylor (ok), & JoDee Mesina.

13. TNTeach5

TNTeach5 Rookie

Jun 21, 2007

LOVE Country Music!!! Living 10 miles outside of Nashville, TN, you can't help from loving it!! I like Keith Urban, Sugarland, Jason Aldean, Toby Keith (Mr. Big Dog Daddy), Martina McBride, Blake Shelton and Big and Rich. The first concert I can remember going to was Kenny Rogers with Dolly Parton here in Nashville, I have also seen Garth Brooks (he puts on a great show). But, believe it or not, living in Music City USA, I haven't run into any stars out and about! My husband and his company put in all of the heating and air units in Alan Jackson's house. He said it was pretty awesome! :)

14. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2007

OOO..I forgot about my fav Aussie Keith Urban... I really enjoy pretty much everybody!!!

I saw Mickey Gilley & John Schneider (Bo Duke), John Denver as a kid!!

That would be cool to see AJ's house!!!

15. Edelweiss

Edelweiss Rookie

Jun 21, 2007

My mom has met Toby Keith, as he used to play a local bar in our hometown (in Oklahoma) before he made it big. He was pretty unpleasant to her. I also used to work for a pest control company that serviced his house...our technician walked in on him in the buff accidentally and he cancelled his account over it!

A friend from high school went to school with George Strait's son and his father told me that he'd spoken with King George on many occasions and that he was a great guy.

I met BJ Thomas ("Raindrops" and the theme from "Growing Pains") backstage at a concert when my friend's aunt won tickets and backstage passes, and he was not very friendly to us at all. He posed for some pictures and signed some autographs, but he acted like it was a HUGE imposition. (And it may have been, but the fans pay the bills, right?)

16. teachingmomof4

teachingmomof4 Groupie

Jun 21, 2007

I have seen Kenny Chesney and Rascal Flatts two summers ago. It was wonderful! I am going again next month to see Kenny. Later this year, we are seeing Keith Urban in concert. I love country music and so does my son. My oldest son and hubbie like rock.

17. Rabbitt

Rabbitt Connoisseur

Jun 21, 2007

George Strait all the way!
    I'm quite the fan of any older country.
    Alabama, Dolly, Oak Ridge Boys, Bellamy Brothers, etc.
    Hodag is one of several country festivals here in WI.
    It's a must do at least once in your life.

18. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Jun 21, 2007

I LOVE MUSIC. The first song I remember singing, aside from Jesus Loves Me and the likes, was Michael Jackson's Man in the Mirror. As far as country music is concerned, I very rarely go to a country concert. This is mainly because my husband is not a huge fan of "new" country, so we find ourselves at many Dave Matthews Band concerts - which I love too. I've been to a Kenny Chesney concert a few years ago, which was really good. I've seen Clay Walker, John Michael Montgomery, Lorrie Morgan, and a few others, but I was a child when I went.

I like those mentioned already and Garth Brooks, Reba, Tracy Lawrence (love Time Marches On!), Tim McGraw, Faith Hill, I love Emerson Drive's Moments...I didn't think Taylor Swift could sing at all when I first heard her live on tv, but I love Teardrops on My Guitar. Well, I won't go on all night. To sum it up, I like a bit of everything, and when it comes to country I prefer ballads and "softer" songs opposed to fast-paced songs.

19. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jun 21, 2007

My husband I go to too many concerts to count. We have seen Willy Nelson, Lee Ann Womack, Martina McBride, Gary Alan, Clay Walker, Deana Carter, Reba, Trick Pony, Rascall Flats, and many others. My current obsession is Ashley Monroe. Her CD is not out yet, but I have Sirius radio and they played several of her songs already and I love it! I love to listen to live music and enjoy many Texas bands that aren't too well known elsewhere. We live outside of Houston and during festival/rodeo season we will drive almost anywhere to see a good band :) One of my favorites is the Flores Country Store outside of San Antonio. We also like to go to 6th street in Austin because there is such a mix of music.

20. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 22, 2007

I love country music! I am going to see Tim McGraw & Faith Hill in concert!! I cannot wait! Brad Paisley is also coming to my city so hopefully I will get a ticket for that too! Some of my favourites (besides those ones!) are Keith Urban, Rascal Flatts, Big & Rich and Kenny Chesney.

21. TeacherRW

TeacherRW Cohort

Jun 22, 2007

I almost exclusively listen to COUNTRY with the exception of Kid Songs and misc kid CDs.

My all-time favorite is by far... George Strait. His song "Cross My Heart" was played for the first dance after our wedding. I have seen him in concert twice and would not hesitate to see him again. There's just something that he has that's irresistable... I think he makes a great connection with his audience without all of the fluff that others use.

And hubba hubba... Kenny Chesney!! Yes, I have seen him twice also in concert. He's a package kind-of-deal. He's not drop dead gorgeous but he's hot and his voice makes him a complete "heart palipatator".

Although I have not seen him in concert, I like Alan Jackson. He is a great writer and his voice is so soothing!

I've also seen in concert: Shania (twice), Garth Brooks (once, maybe twice), and Brooks and Dunn. When I was younger, I saw Freddy Fender, Dolly Parton and Porter Wagoner (sp?) in concerts. Good times...

As far as gals go... I love Martina McBride and Sara Evans. There are definitely great songs from Carrie Underwood, Faith Hill, Reba, and many others.

I could go on and on... but I have to get breakfast ready for my 2yr old. :)

22. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2007

I was just gonna say BRAD PAISLEY...LOVE him!!! He is so talented!!!
    Song writer & guitar player!!!

Teacher RW...saw Alan in concert...pretty boring!!! He just stood there tapping his toe!!! A little walking across the stage or something would have been nice. I agree very talented song writer!!! We had a George song played at our wedding & our song was a Kenny Chesney song...before he was as popular as he is today...it was from his first cd!!!

23. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2007

A country Western Bar will make more money that a rock n' roll Bar because
    Country music is cry in your beer music they sell more beer (Fact)

I like to listen to country music backwards BECAUSE
    you get your truck back,
    you get your dog back,
    you get your house back,
    you get your girlfriend or wife back
    and the the guy who stole your girlfriend or wife is still your friend

24. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2007

Shhhhh!

I'm afraid to say...I actually liked Hee Haw.

Gotta go...somebody might see me here!!! Country music lover on the down low...incognito...in the closet...you know what I mean

Of course I like folk music too

Sigh...real music that means something...

(not Master Pre-K :cool: )

If found, please do not send me to Hotel California...The Eagles said it is a lovely place, but you can never leave.

25. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2007

THE EAGLES!!!!!!!!!!! Now your talkin' MY kind of music!!!!!!!!!:D They are one of my favorites!!

26. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 22, 2007

wait..I'm not in the closet!!! oh...I better just go..

this is getting worse.

uh..what about Chicago..., Elton John, and JT... James Taylor

They actually make sense to me...

Norma Jean sounded even sweeter as Candle In the Wind...dedicated to Princess Di...

there is a meaning to these songs...
    not a video
    or clothing line!
    people still have clothes on!!

ok, I'm leaving now..

27. etcetera83

etcetera83 Cohort

Jun 22, 2007

I like all kids of music especially Southern Rock and older country like George Jones, Merle Haggard, Willie, Cash, Waylon, etc. As far as newer I like Alan Jackson, definitely GEORGE STRAIT, Brad Paisley, and Martina McBride.

Give me The Eagles, James Taylor, and Norah Jones anyday and 2x on Sunday!

28. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jun 22, 2007

Ooooooo ----- 70's music. You're playing my song! :cool:

29. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 22, 2007

I remember Disco, now some of the disco dance steps are country dance steps.
    My Country taste goes from Alabama to The Wreckers
    Folk is important John Denver, Peter Paul & Mary and James Taylor head my list.

I do like the "crooners" music, as the guy in my dorm way back when would say "get lucky music", The Lettermen, Johnny Mathis, etc.

We have Country crooners now
    Alan Jackson - Remember When - I'll Go On Loving You,
    Diamond Rio - I Believe,
    George Strait - Love Without End, Amen (I sang this song to my son at his wedding)
    and the king of country love songs Kenny Rogers - You Decorated My Life - Twenty Years Ago - She Believes In Me, etc.

30. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 23, 2007

I grew up in Nashville, and went to church in Brentwood, where a LOT of country (and other) stars have homes. My parents served communion to Minnie Pearl, and we've driven past the Gatlin Brothers house, as well as Vince and Amy's, plus who knows which other ones. One of our church friends used to be Alan Jackson's record producer. Just a BIT star-struck. ;) Saw a number of stars at Opryland (the theme park, before they losed it to make it an outlet mall that is FAILING) before they were really big stars... Alabama, Lee Greenwood, not sure who else.

I love country... and I'm not too particular, although I tend to shy away from the REALLY old "twangy" stuff (although some of it is pretty cool!).

I saw Lonestar last year, they did a shortened concert at one of our local festivals... one of the few that actually charge admission, but they get bigger acts. You can't beat being close to Lonestar for $10! I love their Mister Mom song. :) We're going to see Jo Dee Messina at the same festival next weekend. :)

I enjoy too many songs to have a favorite... but I LOVE "I've Been Watching You" :)

31. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2007

NJteach, could we say that country music and folk music represents the heart and soul of our lives...next to blues and jazz?

anyone can do rock and roll, or rhythm and blues for that matter.

but a song with a story, about right and wrong..about your true feelings...that's music to me

I know, I know... and you'll say...

If it ain't country, it ain't music! :p

32. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Jun 23, 2007

I have been a country music fan pretty much all my life. I do like other types of music, but country has always been my favorite. I live in an area where concerts don't come around often but I have seen George Strait three times (and would go again at the drop of a hat - I've loved his music forever), Oak Ridge Boys, Vince Gill, Conway Twitty (one of his last concerts before he passed away), Statler Brothers, Neal McCoy, Sawyer Brown, and Exile. There are several that I would love to see in concert including Martina McBride, Reba, and Trace Adkins.
    As far as individual songs go, there are way to many to list them all. A song that has been very important in my life is "The River" by Garth Brooks. I also love "Concrete Angel" (Martina McBride) and anything by Dolly Parton. Of course I love the fun songs too, like "Ladies Love Country Boys" Trace Adkins and "I'd Love to Check You For Ticks" Brad Paisley.
    In fact, I'm listening to music off my computer right now and Reba is playing as I type. I just really enjoy country music.

33. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2007

Irishdave...it's called 'getting busy' or 'gettin groove on' music now..

how crude is that???

why do guys always make it seem like a game or race... getting lucky, getting to home base???

don't you want to 'hit that??'

sigh

34. Irishdave

Irishdave Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2007

Well when you win someone's heart you have had to compete against the image that your wonderful lady has of all men. Men are compared all the time so the way men's brain are wired we compete, much like a sporting event thus a sporting motif to men's words.

35. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2007

Ok I have to brag...on our local country station they are having a FREE concert..you have to have a ticket, but they are free (we are talking thousands of people{I think last year was around 70,000})!! I just got done listening to my cousin's band on stage LIVE on the radio...HOW COOL IS THAT?!? I'm so proud of all of them!!! I told hubby, see we didn't have to go we know what they look like!!! Now if he'll just hook me up with a cushy job when the "make it"!!! Tonite's free headliner's are Jason Michael Carol (Alyssa Lies), the Wreckers & Dierks Bentley!!

36. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2007

All of you country music fans need to come and visit me next summer. We have a HUGE festival in my hometown every year with lots of the acts you mentioned. It has been going on since Wednesday and closes Sunday night. It is only a couple miles down the road from my house. Here is a link to the acts this year.countryusa

37. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2007

Kinder can we "Woodstock" in your yard??? I have heard of that concert!!

38. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2007

You certainly are welcome to Diz!!!!!! Plan on coming next year!!!:D

39. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 23, 2007

Sounds like Country Thunder up in my area... but that was last weekend and I didn't get a chance to go. :(

I love "Angels Among Us" and pretty much anything else by Alabama... I think I left them off my list last time. ;) I've gotten my bf intersted in country (he never listened to it before he met me) and he was prett amused last year at the Lonestar concert when he heard me singing along to pretty much the whole set.... and then they did an Alabama tribute in the middle and I (and practically the whole audience) sang along ot all of THOSE, too. ;)

40. Master Pre-K

Master Pre-K Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2007

kinderkids...what is the name of that huge outdoor theater in Wisconisn..Apple Valley??

I saw Joanie Mitchell there. She sang in the rain!

41. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Jun 23, 2007

Oooooooooo, you are close. Alpine Valley!! I've been to many a concert there. That is the last concert Stevie Ray Vaughn played at........his helicopter crashed into a cliff there after his performance! :(