Country data?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by KatieC, Nov 3, 2010.

1. KatieC

KatieC Rookie

Nov 3, 2010

I'm trying to look up data for countries for a Europe geography unit for my students: specifically data on telephones, televisions and automobiles. I have found cellular phones on the CIA World Factbook but not landlines and nothing on the other topics. I also tried the UN website on their cyber school bus but I am having a really hard time getting that website to work. Any suggestions for reliable data would be appreciated!

3. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Nov 4, 2010

www.google.se , www.google.de , www.google.co.uk , www.google.no , www.google.es , www.google.fr

www.google.com/translate

Hopefully you find what you're looking for.

I typed in "How many people in Sweden own wired phones?"

It gave me "hur många människor i Sverige trådbundna egna telefoner"

Did a few searches, and I use Google chrome (I'm seriously advertising Google right now. It auto translates pages.)

And I found:

3.2 The migration from wired telephony to mobile telephony
    There is a strong demand for mobile communications, and traffic has been for several years partly migrated from the fixed networks to mobile networks. Since the first half of 2004, traffic on the PSTN network in Sweden declined faster, while traffic in mobile networks has increased sharply. The figure below shows how the traffic minutes are distributed between local networks (including IP-based telephony) and mobile networks, as well as the total revenues for wired and mobile telephony. It is worth mentioning that the minutes for dial-up Internet is included, which further accelerated the decline in traffic minutes of PSTN / ISDN.

Granted, I didn't try very hard -- I'm sure you can find accurate data though.

4. blazer

blazer Connoisseur

Nov 4, 2010

Telephone has not reached England yet, we still keep carrier pigeons in our back gardens! We can't have telephones until someone gives us electricity!

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 4, 2010

:lol:

6. KatieC

KatieC Rookie

Nov 6, 2010

Thanks for the help... looking for a database if possible- it'd be helpful in gathering data for the 20 countries we are looking at.

7. Liljag

Liljag Companion

Nov 7, 2010

Why not try going to the OECD's website? (http://www.oecd.org). There you can choose to browse technologies of an individual country or you can go under the topic "innovation" and choose "Information and Communication technologies". There you can see broadband statistics and the like between the member countries. There are only 30 member countries but it has active relationships with about 70 others so hopefully the countries you have selected are listed.