Counting Using Fingers

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by uprekmom, Nov 3, 2008.

1. uprekmom

uprekmom Rookie

Nov 3, 2008

Hi all

I'm having trouble teaching my first grade son to count using his fingers. He got it last year, not sure why its not sticking this year. We used counters to help him at home, but he won't have them in the class. He's getting confused when he holds his hands up and sometimes counts the other hand twice.

Any suggestions??

Thanks so much.

3. Lives4Math

Lives4Math Comrade

Nov 3, 2008

If counters work for him then have him draw them on paper. Ex: 5 + 3 Have him draw one group of 5 circles and one group of 3 circles then count them together.

4. teach1st

teach1st Comrade

Nov 3, 2008

Have him use touch math. What you do is put dots on the numbers. If the number is four, then the number has four dots. If the number is 3, then the number has three dots. So on and so on. Example: 5+2=7 Have him start counting with the 5 and put dots on the two. Then have him count starting with the number 5 and then count the dots 6, 7. The dots should always be put on the smaller number. If you have any questions let me know. It works just like using your fingers only you are using dots on the paper. The dots go on the numbers. If you want to look to see how the dots should be put on the numbers google touch math and it will show you. I only use this at the beginning to teach the children the basic concept and then we move on to memorizing and using other strategies to help add.

5. jenejoy

jenejoy Companion

Nov 3, 2008

I was going to suggest the touch math as well. I never knew it was a program I'm just a visual learner and seriously still use it at times.