Counting down to the new school year...pregnant this time

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by Mrs. R, Aug 13, 2008.

1. Mrs. R

Mrs. R Rookie

Aug 13, 2008

So I'm going to have a challenge this year. I will be 3 1/2 months pregnant when the school year starts. I'm worried about a lot of things.
    1. I don't always get a bathroom break when I have duty...and it seems I ALWAYS have duty.
    2. The last time I was pregnant I worked at a school, but I was permenant and it was known that my shoes didn't fit, so I wore flip flops, I don't think I can do that this time.
    3. Morning sickness
    4. I NEED to work as much as possible to afford this baby.
    Any tips?

3. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Aug 13, 2008

1. I would inform the office staff in the morning and see if it were possible for you to send a student to the office and get someone to watch the class for you to run to the restroom. I am sure they can get an aide or maybe even the P to watch the class for 2 minutes!

2. Bring flip-flops in your bag. Wear them in the class and wear the shoes only when roaming the halls! I do this all the time when I am dressed up!

4. SuzieQ

SuzieQ Companion

Aug 17, 2008

I chose to be a sub when I was pregnant. I informed my office managers at each sight I worked at and they were so helpful! Believe me they made exceptions for me with dress code and all. I was even hired as a long term sub when I was pg! Teachers,staff, and principal at all the schools were sooo helpful . Just let them know of your situation. In fact, I worked a lot (was requested) because they knew I needed the extra money!

5. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Aug 17, 2008

I agree that you should just let the admin. know. Are there any other shoes that you could find that are as comfy as flip flops but are closed toe? Other than that, be kind to yourself and make sure that you and the baby are number 1!

6. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Aug 17, 2008

You can always ask the teacher next door to watch your class so you can run to the restroom--most teachers should be understanding.