Counting 1's and 10's to 100

Discussion in 'Kindergarten' started by SittinInATree, Aug 15, 2007.

1. SittinInATree

SittinInATree Companion

Aug 15, 2007

I know some people count 1's every day and then bundle the 10's until the 100th day of school.

What do you use? Straws, sticks? Where do you put them? I don't want to buy a pocket chart but I can't think of what else to put them in.

What other methods of counting are there besides using straws or sticks?

3. alilisa

alilisa Habitué

Aug 15, 2007

I have seen them put into milk cartons, styrofoam cups, tin cans.

Some teachers use pennies for each day and then change it for a dime (counting by 10's) and when they get to 100 they put up a dollar.

4. SittinInATree

SittinInATree Companion

Aug 15, 2007

Yes we did the pennies and dimes in 2nd grade but I think that wouldn't be as easy to grasp, visually, as straws since they are bunched into 10's...

5. alteacher84

alteacher84 Companion

Aug 15, 2007

I do this with my class (4th grade) as part of morning math. I just washed out old koolaid tubs that the koolaid powder comes in and used coffee stirrer sticks for the counting sticks. I labeled the tubs with sentence strips that said ones, tens, hundreds...

6. combo teacher

combo teacher Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

When I did my internship, my co-op teacher used ziploc bags.

7. SittinInATree

SittinInATree Companion

Aug 15, 2007

Good idea! I think I will just use big tubs like that and set them on the window sill that is next to our calendar area. I kinda wanted it *on* the calendar but that would mean a pocket chart or stapling cups to the bulletin board.

8. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

Aug 15, 2007

I used popsicle sticks from the craft store. I covered 3 small cardboard canisters & labeled them ones, tens & hundreds. I printed the words from the computer, then just taped them on. One year I did nail them to the bulletin board! The leader of the day gets to put one stick in. Every time we make a bunch of ten we practice counting by tens to one hundred.

9. newbie24

newbie24 Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

Counting

What about using construction paper. (Have 3 colors for ones, tens hundreds) put push pins on the top and just use paper clips as counters. Add a paper clip every day (it is part of the every day counts calendar math kit)

10. Tambra44

Tambra44 Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

I have used milkcartons and straws but in addition I printed numbers and cut them into squares. I punched a hole in the front of each carton and used a metal ring (the ones we use for index cards) to display the numbers. I flip a number each day so they could see the number written out.
    We also add a penny each day and make trades. I taught special needs kindergarten and it seemed to help. By the end of the year my kids could tell me if we could make a trade. If it was a trade day they could make the trade themselves and if it was not a trade day they could tell me how many more I needed before we could make a trade! It was wonderful!

11. CharlotteKinder

CharlotteKinder Rookie

Aug 15, 2007

I use unifix cubes that snap together. That way they can see the the get put together when we get to ten. And we don't stack them together until we get ten. They need to understand them as 'ones'. When we get to 100 it is easy for them to count the stacks to make a bundle of 100. We keep going until the last day of school.
    I have a pocket chart thing that was originally used for the coffee stirrers but now i just fit the cubes in it. I used to use ziplock bags

12. tarheelsak

tarheelsak Companion

Aug 15, 2007

I use the linking chains. My set comes in red, blue, yellow, and green. We add a link each day during calendar time. When we have 10 of one color linked together, I hang them at the top of the calendar board. Then we start another set of 10 using a different color. After the first 40 days of linking 10 red, 10 blue, 10 green, and 10 yellow, we start back over with the colors. By the 100th day of school, we have an ABCD pattern. We count the links each day by 1's. When we have a few sets of 10, we start practicing counting by 10's. The links don't take up much room and I reuse them every year.:)

13. Ponypal

Ponypal Comrade

Aug 15, 2007

I count all the way up to the last day of school and I do all of these everyday:
    1) I use a soft cloth chart from Lakeshore. It has sticks and pockets for 1's,10's,100.
    2) giant paper fish bowl BB set w/little fish for 1's, big fish for 10's, I made a rainbow fish for the 100
    3) Everyday Math number line, moving a square everyday that outlines the current number
    4) 1-100 # pocket chart
    5) paper links- in rainbow color order hanging down, one for each day, 10 for each chain, counting by 10's and 1's, pinned from the cork above the chalkboard
    6) students write the # of the day in their journal

For your straws/sticks you could also make pockets out of manilla folders or tagboard. Small juice cans would work too.