Counseling for students/Support group

Discussion in 'General Education' started by sweetlatina23, Aug 19, 2010.

1. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Aug 19, 2010

So I want to start a support group after school with the upper graders 6-8 and later on I want to start something with our 3rd -5th grade group. We do not have a school counselor and there are a lot of problems at our school. Last night I was watching the new MTV show "If you really knew me." It is about how we judge others without knowing them. We are a Catholic school and I teach religion to 4th grade, so I did add my input in our religion meetings for teachers to do a support group through prayers, and so far it seems to be working. With the students it would have to be a bit more personal and different. I am not sure how I would like it to go, but I want to try something. We do not have funding to pay anyone, so its hard. I have a psychology degree and a few hours in counseling, but no experience. We have one retired principal from public schools who has a masters in counseling and she is suppose to come once a week to tutor students in reading. I asked her to help me in directing it. When I asked her another teacher had used my idea and sold it to her first. (I dont mind, I truly just want the kids to benefit from this.) What did bother me was the fact that now she will be tied up but with only ONE group of students, not the whole school. So I figured even with her guidance I might be able to start with the lower grades. Any suggestions?

The reason for this is because my students live in Mexico and they cross daily. Over half of our students have been threatened by the Mexican Cartel to kidnap the children, kill them, etc. They live this daily, and I know they have a lot invovled. Last week I had one was threatened so his family came to our city and had to stay at a hotel, the bigger problem was that his mother didnt have a VISA to cross and she had to stay over there, so for two days he didnt have contact with his mother. There is so much that they face, some of them have been assulted directly, kids 12 years old assulted and threatened. Then they are expected to come to school and pretend nothing is wrong.

I dont know what goes on national news and what doesnt. Living in a border city I dont care to watch the local news, let alone the national news.

3. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Aug 19, 2010

Wow, I wonder how some of your students manage to focus at all throughout the day. You may want to start with finding a group of students that wants to join you. Once you have your starting group (still open to others) start with lots of community building. Get these students to feel very comfortable around each other. Then have the students begin by doing some cooperative tasks, where everyone has to be involve to succeed.
    After this, you may just want to open it up for students to share their concerns and offer support. It sounds like many of these students could use time to talk with others who care about them. Its not much, but somewhere to start.

4. sweetlatina23

sweetlatina23 Cohort

Aug 19, 2010

You helped more than you know. I wasnt sure how to go about and even start. I just know I had the idea. My principal already said "go ahead," but its one of those "do it yourself" things. You gave me a foundation. I need to start with the cooperative group activities, so they do feel comfortable with one another. I forgot that part. Thanks! It does help!

5. dovian

dovian Comrade

Aug 19, 2010

Just brainstorming, but I'm thinking . . . what about, once you've got a community going, exercises that can help them feel like they are in control of their lives in some way? I am sure that there are organizations that teach conflict resolution and self-esteem and things like that (can't think of any off the top of my head but google could help) and that might be worth looking into.

It's not exactly the same but I sponsor the gay-straight alliance at my school, and the community that we are in is generally not very accepting of these kids. Rather than having them come in every week and complain about their lives (and these are teenagers so that's all they'd do if I let them!), I try to get them to focus on positive solutions to some of the problems they face. For your kids there is probably a good balance that you could strike between honest discussion about the realities they face and those group-building empowering kinds of activities.

I think it is so awesome that you are putting together something for these kids. Good luck!