Could You Live Where You're Living Forever?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by Ms. I, Oct 15, 2012.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 15, 2012

Could you live where you're living for the rest of your life? How about even the exact house that you're living in? Do you have plans of where you want to move to in the next 5, 10, 20, years or when you retire?

I could live in my city for the rest of my life because it's beautiful, safe, a pleasant place to live, etc. Regarding my apt, it's great, but I'd eventually want a house. I'm a long way from retiring, but so far, I haven't come across any other place I'd like to live. It would be nice to spend 6 mos here & maybe live 6 mos somewhere just as pleasant...wherever that is. (I used to live in L.A. from birth to age 13.)

3. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 15, 2012

I love San Jose. When we originally moved back here my novio told me he never wanted to leave his country again. It tore me apart to think that I would only ever be visiting my hometown again. I never wanted San Jose or even Costa Rica to be my forever home. But I would live here forever if it meant being with my boyfriend forever.

But now he's decided he wants to move back to my hometown! And it's funny because I've definitely fallen in love with San Jose all over again. So although we will move back to the USA because of a load of reasons (they don't call it the land of opportunity for nothing) I always tell him I'd be happy coming back here.

I think that's what makes our relationship strong. We're both willing to live wherever the other wants, as long as we're together. :)

4. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Oct 15, 2012

I would love to move back to the city that I grew up in. A lot of my old high school friends are moving back with their families or to be closer to family. It is only about 3.5 hours away.

5. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Oct 15, 2012

I will be happy where we are right now for the rest of my life.

6. Ranchwife

Ranchwife Companion

Oct 15, 2012

I hope and pray that I never, ever, ever have to leave the ranch. My soul would shrivel up and die if I had to leave.

7. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2012

I love the area where I am now, but it's hard to live in a small town like this alone. With a family, it would be wonderful, although it's a bit far from my family.

8. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2012

Aw, I understand. :)

We built this as our forever house. In our forever hometown...but to be honest, I do sometimes wish to leave. Just go far away. Like in the movies, just get out a dart and map.

9. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 15, 2012

I love, love, love our house. We live in a nice suburb and I think we will live here until the kids are grown. I'm not sure after that. Dh's family is from the Texas hill country and it is beautiful so we may end up retiring up that way eventually but I can't imagine living too far from my kids.

10. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2012

We bought the home we are in now as our retirement home. I am quite content to stay forever. Disney World is 10 minutes away...'nuff said!

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 15, 2012

Right now, I love where I'm living and feel like I could stay here forever. Where I decide to live after I retire may depend on where my children are living. When I was young, I saw my grandparents for a week every two years because they were so far away. That's not going to work for me when I have grandchildren.

12. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2012

We definitely want to move to the country. Preferably in a place with seasons. And neighbors not tooooooo close.

But then a piece of my soul gets really cold at the thought of not being able to run to the beach whenever I need to clear my head or shake off a bad day. The ocean is so calming for me.

13. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Comrade

Oct 15, 2012

I dislike my city, I want somewhere bigger.

But my apartment is nice. I'd like to pick it up and move it into a bigger city where I can actually step outside and walk anywhere I need to go.

14. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 15, 2012

My home is on Long Island.

My family is here, and family is of ultimate importance to me.

Sure, I would miss the beaches more than I can say. There's something about the ocean that just calls to me.

Anywhere else in the world would be a nice place to visit, but Long Island is my home. Its beaches, its proximity to NYC, the fact that "I can get anywhere in the world via the Southern State."

But mostly, it's about family.

15. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 15, 2012

I live in an apartment as well, and I'm unhappy with the complex, but the apartment itself is nice.

I love this area, but live here forever? I don't think so. I don't think I could live in the best place in the world forever. I have to move around or I get antsy.

16. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Oct 15, 2012

I have loved living in this big city but i do welcome a slower paced life once I retire in 7 years. My guy and I plan to buy a mobile home and some land out west in the desert. Sounds good to me!

17. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Oct 15, 2012

I have lived in the same area my entire life, and I have never even considered moving anywhere else. I have lived in a condo for the past year. It's very nice, but I don't see myself staying in it forever.

18. Bella2010

Bella2010 Habitué

Oct 15, 2012

I live in the same town as all my family, and I don't even want to think about living anywhere else. My house? Not so much. Hopefully in a few years we'll upgrade to a bigger one.

Beth

19. brigidy

brigidy Comrade

Oct 15, 2012

I miss my home so much, even though I am only a couple of hours away. I have a beautiful home here and a nice job, however I really miss my hometown and family.

20. Math

Math Cohort

Oct 15, 2012

I was born in north jersey however, now I live in south jersey. I could probably live here after I graduate from college for like 3 years but then I need to go back up north. I like the city not the suburbs.

21. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Oct 15, 2012

I would love to live somewhere where it's not so dang hot! It's the middle of October and I still have my AC on. It was in the 90's today. I've considered moving to Denver, but the reality is that my family is here, so this is where I want to be.

22. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 15, 2012

I live about 1.5 hours away from where I grew up. I love TX, I love our little town that we live in now and the house (once those floors get in!), but I don't see us here forever.

23. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 15, 2012

I could stay in this town. I've lived here for all but 5 of my 42 years. My mom still lives in the house that my parents bought in 1969. I live 3 miles away, and I've lived here since 2000. I realły like my house and this town.

24. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 15, 2012

To answer the original question: Yes.

I was born and raised in the town that I teach and live in. My parents are here, too, and I have a very close relationship with them.

Oh...and I love my home. I worked so hard to buy it!

25. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Oct 15, 2012

I love it here in Hawaii and I love my job-but it's really hard to be so far away from my family. I want to eventually move back to the same area where my family lives.

26. Peachyness

Peachyness Virtuoso

Oct 15, 2012

Hubby and I moved back to the central coast here in Cali last year. I love living in this area versus living in the central valley (yuck).

The weather is nice where we live (where I work is a different story), people are a lot more active here so there are more healthy activities going on, lots of trails, bike paths, beaches, and so on.

I also like our apartment. It's two bedrooms but we have high ceilings in the living room with a ladder that leads up to a loft (we're using that as storage right now, but would like to turn it into something cool).

27. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Oct 15, 2012

Well of course I will move after we win the mega million...but until then, I'm pretty content here.

28. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Oct 16, 2012

I honestly can't picutre myself living anywhere forever. I think I'd get bored! I would like to make it back at least closer to my home state at some point, probably especially when my parents are older...but I've always wanted to live in a year-round warm climate and near the ocean as well. I have no use for snow! I like where I'm living now a lot more than where I lived for my last job, but I certainly can't say I plan on being here forever!

29. Chrissteeena

Chrissteeena Companion

Oct 16, 2012

Yes.

We've (fiance and I) lived on Long Island (born and raised) and in Florida and right here... right now... Sioux City, IA is HOME. It's where we were able to start our lives together. We both have amazing jobs, amazing co-workers, we got engaged, got a dog and bought a house and we're getting married. We want to start our family here. Whether or not we'll stay in the same house until our kids are grown is another story but for now. This is home. It's our home.

30. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 16, 2012

I was too young to drive when I lived in LA. I like all the many things to do in LA, but I wouldn't want to live there anymore.

31. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Oct 16, 2012

Maybe...the house, yes. The town...NO!!!! But since I can't move the house, then I guess both are no!

32. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 16, 2012

I love my life here - great friends and family, a wonderful job. If the opportunity came up to move to another city I would consider it, but it would be a difficult decision.

33. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Oct 16, 2012

I was born and raised in Northeast Ohio. My DH and I have worked very hard to own the home we are currently living in. It is in a small rural community,yet we are still close enough to our families. I can see us living here the rest of our lives-happily.

34. Cerek

Cerek Aficionado

Oct 16, 2012

Yes, I DO plan to live in this area for the rest of my life. This is where I was born and raised and this is where I plan to stay.

Right now, I'm not working in the district where I went to school, but that's ok. I'm living in an apartment complex near my alma mater, so this is like my second home...and both districts are still rural, western NC.

Unless my own children move far away, I don't foresee ever leaving here.

35. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 16, 2012

Oh yes, I like San Diego better than LA too. I spend the day or a couple days in SD about once a year. Plus, I love SD's cool weather.

36. pete2770

pete2770 Comrade

Oct 16, 2012

I ask myself this question periodically. I would probably move based on weather, if there were no other burdens.

My favorite time of the year is my area's fall. That pretty much means I would enjoy Washington state or Oregon if I were to stay in the US. However, my ideal year round temperature just happens to be in my great-great-great grandfather's hometown: Bergen, Norway. What a beautiful place, it's like 60 F year round, surrounded by beauty beyond compare, midnight sun.....

Sadly I won't be in Bergen until I'm retired and master Norwegian.

Until then, I'll probably stay in this state, surrounded by evergreens.

I mean what compares with this beauty: http://www.fjordtravel.no/tours/fjordtours/ft4_geirangerfjord_highlights.html

I guess Alaska would be another option. :)

37. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 16, 2012

I feel the same way about my area's weather. If it were up to me, it would stay in the high 60s/low 70s most of the year with some rain.

38. PolarBear

PolarBear Rookie

Oct 16, 2012

I grew upon So California, ran screaming right after I graduated from High School, and never looked back. Landed in the Portland area two years later. That was almost 40 years ago. It's a safe bet I'll die here someday too.

39. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Oct 17, 2012

I'll probably end up staying in this area (Central New York) for the rest of my life...at different times I would like to move to somewhere with less snow or a state with lower taxes, but this is my home.

I moved to rural Colorado for a while a few years back and while I loved driving by the huge ranches and being able to see for miles and miles around, I missed my family, having easy access to stores and seeing lots of trees.

Moving again isn't out of the question, but I love being close to my family and being in an a fairly low cost of living area near a decent sized city with very low traffic compared to other cities.

40. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Oct 17, 2012

I think I plan on staying in my current city forever. However, I do not plan on staying in my current home forever. Winters are harsh up here and the older I get, the more and more I dislike winter in general, but my family is here.

41. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Oct 17, 2012

I had a hard time moving to this town 13 years ago, a move away from my home town. But now, I'd like to stay here forever. First, I'd like to keep this house until my DSs have children so I can host Grandma camp in the summer - hoping this is a long way off. When they are older, we'll move into a smaller, low maintenance place.