Could you do it?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Jem, Aug 28, 2010.

1. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 28, 2010

I've been told there will be no copies for the first few weeks of school.

Could you do it?

I only have 9 students, so I could print things out. But with as much money as I spend on my room, I do draw the line at paying for copies. So I'm currently brainstorming ways to do many of the activities I had planned minus pre-printed organizers....

3. wcormode

wcormode Rookie

Aug 28, 2010

I might be able to if not for the fact that one of my classes has no textbooks.

What subject is it?

4. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 28, 2010

Third, fourth and fifth grade multi-age general ed.

5. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Aug 28, 2010

I could do it but I would have to post all parent notices online and have them acknowledge receipt via email I guess.

6. Learner4Life

Learner4Life Cohort

Aug 28, 2010

I could get real creative with my Smartboard and Moodle... but the first few weeks of school are usually spent teaching my kids how to use these things and adding worksheets in there as a supplement. It would be tough!!!

7. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 28, 2010

No smartboard! Not even a white board at this point-I'm hoping I get one by the first day, but I can't count on it. There is just a giant hole in the front wall at the moment. I have a projector of my own I could use with my laptop, but I have no idea how much life is left in the bulb-I might have to use that!!

8. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 28, 2010

Yes, I could. I do not use a lot of copies anyway. Right now most of my copies are for Spelling but that could easily be put on an overhead for the students to copy.

9. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 28, 2010

The one activity I'm concerned with is my multiple intellegence quiz/graphing activity. The rest are fine-I'm a creative person and to teach is not to rely on paper activities. But I'm trying to figure out if students can keep the quiz questions straight if they don't have them in front of them. I also want a bar graph for them to graph their answers in, and it's a confusing enough task without having to try to line up a home-made bar graph. I think I will print that out. But the rest of the activities should be fine. I'll have to forgo the Personality Sphere activity this year, as I need to photocopy the pieces they cut out to assemble the sphere. Sad, because that's a really cool activity.

10. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Aug 28, 2010

Maybe... with many games, file folder games, etc. I don't make too many copies, but it would be hard to not make any.

Windy- what do you put in your parent notices? I don't have much parent involvement, so I'm just curious :)

11. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Aug 28, 2010

Could some of these activities be something that you only make a few copies of, and students can share? Maybe put in a plastic sleeve to keep it from being destoyed?

12. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Aug 28, 2010

I do a MI graphing activity too and I don't think it's too confusing to read out loud. I only give them one sheet with the graph grid. Would your school maybe reimburse you if you made copies somewhere else? Or maybe let you bring in your own ream of paper and pay a little towards toner? I know it's more money, but if it's not too much I think it would be worth it!

13. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 29, 2010

We don't have a copy machine in the school. They have an account with Kinko's but don't want to spend the money, so I'm not going to push it. It's a chance to be creative. It's just a wrench in the plans to find out two days before school starts... but I'm flexible! kcjo-I'm worried about my third graders. I just don't want to do anything confusing the first day or two.

14. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Aug 29, 2010

We "borrowed" another school for summer school this year and were told the same thing. I taught for a month with no copies (workbooks for the kids in math) and it wasn't as hard as a I had thought. I was actually pretty proud of myself-but this was a younger group so we do a lot of hands-on activities anyway.

I copy a lot for the parents-welcome letter, Open House packet, etc. I also do beginning assessments/journals that I need to copy-so that part of it would be hard.

15. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2010

Jem - do you have an overhead? I have some neat activities you can adapt to any grade level, any subject on blank paper... but it's easiest if you can use the overhead to show them how to do them.

16. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Aug 29, 2010

Yes, with one exception :)

Notes and classwork on the board.

I would have them tear out a piece of paper for quizzes and put a problem or 2 on the board.

The only issue would be that first test; I like to test every 2 weeks. So I would give in and pay to have that first test Xeroxed.

17. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Aug 29, 2010

I have no textbooks for my courses, and my document camera is not in yet. So, I'd have a bit of trouble with it.

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Aug 29, 2010

I could do without worksheets but still would need to make copies for data collection, especially for behaviors. The longest I've gone without a copier was 2 days (we have 2 and BOTH were broken) but it was in the middle of the year so I had some extra sheets on hand.

19. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 29, 2010

Check around with copy places - big name and small guys. we have a place in town whose owner has three children who all grew up to be school teachers. On Friday afternoons he will give 500 copies to any teacher that needs them.

20. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Aug 29, 2010

I teach every day without making copies. It's a Montessori school.

21. Hoot Owl

Hoot Owl Aficionado

Aug 29, 2010

Buy a shower board from Lowe's/Home Depot and put it in the whole in your room. You can use it as a dry-erase board and kids could. In a former district all we ever received was 5 reams of paper per nine weeks and it was enough. The kids actually learned to write and copy things from the board.

22. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Aug 29, 2010

I attempt to use a little paper as possible. I tried using the projector to share multiple choice questions having students just use a quarter sheet of paper to record their answers. What I had projected was large and very clean...no distractions and whatnot. It didn't work! :)

And, honestly, it wouldn't work for me as a student either.

23. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Aug 29, 2010

Jem, when I was teaching, I would challenge myself to use as few copies as possible. Most of my experience was in grades 1-3.

Not only did my students copy my work off of the board, they even created all of their own math problems. So if it was double digit subtraction WITH regrouping. They were expected to create those problems (I modeled a lot, of course) and I quickly knew whether or not they understood the concept of regrouping. If a child can create a problem that requires it, they certainly grasp the concept.

If I needed a note to go home to the parents, I wrote it on the board and students were expected to copy it in perfect spelling and their best penmanship to give to their parents.

My kids went home at the end of the year with some very advanced skills. Copy machines do the work for us these days but, truly, we have 20 plus little bodies in our classrooms that need to learn how to do these things.

24. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Aug 29, 2010

Is it possible to wait and do this activity until the school allows for copies?
    Just a thought.

25. teacher12345

teacher12345 Cohort

Aug 29, 2010

Have you looked for a whiteboard on freecycle?

26. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Aug 29, 2010

The whiteboard is coming. No delivery date has been confirmed, but it's coming. This was more a general question. I'm confident I can do this, and my first week will be wonderful. I'm not griping at all. I'll even find a way to do the test-I'll probably print out the graph. Just wondering, if required, if you could go up to a month without copies?

27. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Aug 29, 2010

I could not go a week without copies. I teach special ed. and my kids can't successfully copy from the board. It's hard enough to get them to copy homework off the board and they try hard. Also, there isn't enough practice in my math or science books, and I don't have a reading textbook.

28. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Aug 29, 2010

I *could do it, but I do not think it would be nearly as effective. I'd have a lot of reinforcing to do at the end of the semester, I suspect.

29. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 30, 2010

I designed a class web-site for each of my grade levels, plus we're going to use Moodle as well--- something that I'm planning on using for planner type stuff and loading up files that I don't necessarily want to share with the whole world (just my classes). So if a student wants a copy, I'll usually give them ONE, if they lose it, they have to print it at home. It helps to teach them responsibility.

Other than that, I encourage the students to design their own data tables and investigations in their science notebooks. Sometimes I'll have to print out a data table, but I really try to give them the chance to design it themselves. Everything else has to be hand-written, except for lab reports which they type up at home.

So really the only thing I can think of that I would need to make copies for are anything I need parents to look over (like field trip permission slips, lab safety rules, tech permission slip) and sign and return in the beginning of the school year. Tests would be difficult too because I usually have open-ended questions where students will need to carefully read the question and write a paragraph, but I could always project it from my computer or use my Smartboard and they could just use loose leaf. :)

30. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Aug 30, 2010

I can totally understand where Special Ed would need copies of assignments. I had one boy, who had autism, and he was so bright but he just could not write. When I knew we'd have to write notes, I would type them up for him and leave blanks that he would have to fill in (one or two words) and that helped him a lot. But that's something I would usually do at home since it wouldn't use up a lot of paper or ink.

31. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2010

Yes. I could, I have, and I may do without timely copies this year. Our admin para position was cut so whatever copies need to be made either need to be in way early so the office staff gets it done (although it's not a top priority for them) or copied by teachers themselves before school or during preps...

I'm creatively resourceful. While it can be annoying to not have the copied resources and practice materials desired for some lessons, professional educators can certainly 'do it' effectively.

32. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Aug 30, 2010

Our ancestors taught without using any paper. I don't remember handouts when I went to school. But, I do remember work books.

33. MelissainGA

MelissainGA Groupie

Aug 30, 2010

Our new superintendent dislikes worksheets (even though I think they do have a occasional place where they are necessary). It is highly recommended (emphasis on HIGHLY) that we not use them. I have basically used them 1 time this year so that I could do some testing that was required to be completed individually.

34. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Aug 30, 2010

We'll all find out at school this week-service calls are in on both copiers (people really shouldn't try to fix them on their own if they don't know what they are doing), and it may be the end of the week before the repairs are made. There are going to be lots of desperate-looking teachers in the next couple of days.

35. MissNikki

MissNikki Comrade

Aug 30, 2010

I'd use the school printer to print anything I needed out.

36. Proud2BATeacher

Proud2BATeacher Phenom

Aug 30, 2010

I would never be able to survive without worksheets. I don't have workbooks or textbooks. Some of my students have such poor fine motor skills that it would take them 15 minutes to copy 1 sentence.