Could I become a sub?

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by B3njie, Feb 7, 2021.

1. B3njie

B3njie New Member

Feb 7, 2021

Hi everyone. New member and first post. I am hoping you all could help me out. I have looked through older threads but I haven’t found anything similar to my exact situation. I am wanting to become a sub but have a couple of questions about my qualifications and background.

First, I have been in Air Force for almost 15 years and that is only job I’ve had in my adult life. I was 8 years active duty (2006-2014) and since 2014 have been in the Air National Guard, working full time in it. I have a BA in sociology but nothing in the way of education.

Second, in 2007 I received a DUI. I was just out of my initial military training and was young and stupid. I hired a lawyer and it did get dismissed. Since then I think I’ve had maybe two traffic tickets for speeding but nothing else. Those tickets were prior to 2011 or so, so nothing in about the last 10 years. I have been able to rank up high on the enlisted side and continue to hold a security clearance.

These two things make me wonder if I’d be able to become a sub. I’m not sure what state I’ll be moving to but most likely to the mid-west. If you all could provide any insight I would greatly appreciate it.

3. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Feb 7, 2021

The DUI will only be a problem if it remains on your record, which, according to your post, seems doubtful. Most subs, the kind that get called for the occasional days off the teachers take, don't require you to have a degree or education courses. I think here in NJ, you are simply required to have 60 credits, fingerprinting, and a copy of your transcript, direct from your university, unopened if you order it from the school. Every state is a little different in the process, but these qualifications seem to be close to the norm. Best of luck.

B3njie likes this.
  4. B3njie

B3njie New Member

Feb 7, 2021

Thanks. I hope it all works out.