Coughing, Sneezing Kids!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Ms. I, Nov 6, 2010.

1. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 6, 2010

I was just sick in early Sept w/ one of the most severe sore throats I've ever had to where I had to go to the dr! Now, starting yesterday, my throat's getting sore again! :mad:

This past week, I worked w/ some coughing kids who do NOT cover their mouths no matter how often I tell them. They literally cough w/ their mouths open after the second I tell them to cover their mouths! Once, yesterday, I finally moved a couple of feet from where I was working with some kids & said, "I'm sitting over here because I don't want to get sick." These kids don't feel guilty in the least. They don't give a care whether anyone gets sick.

How else do I keep from getting sick so much besides taking my vitamins, having a good diet, getting enough sleep, drinking water, etc.?

3. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Nov 6, 2010

A friend told me about a song:
    sung to the tune of "He's a Jolly Good Fellow"

Cough and sneeze in your elbow
    cough and sneeze in your elbow
    cough and sneeze in your elbow
    So we don't get sick!:p

4. yarnwoman

yarnwoman Cohort

Nov 6, 2010

Have you thought about explaining to them about how germs spread? It could quite possibly be that they do not understand. Even if they are older! I always remind myself that I choose to work with kids and will be exposed to things. Similar to a dr/nurse. If you don't wnat to get sick find a different line of work.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2010

It's a hazard of this job that we catch at least some of what is going around. Over a third of my class was off at one point or another during the week last week with either headache/sore throat/fever or a stomach bug--I'm waiting to see which I'm going to end up with. I try to get enough sleep, wash my hands often, and eat well, and get a flu shot (we have a clinic next week), but sometimes catching what's going around is unavoidable.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 6, 2010

I keep 'Emergen-C' in my desk, wash wash wash hands often and have kids baby wipe their desks often... I have my own box of Kleenex behind my desk that kids don't touch or breathe on...got my flu shot and take my vitamins.

7. halpey1

halpey1 Groupie

Nov 7, 2010

I also read that using your own box of tissues helps. I do wash my hands a LOT. I also use hand sanitizer throughout the day (sometimes you can't make it to the sink).

8. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 7, 2010

It's a job hazard ... nothing to do with uncaring kids.

Wash your hands
    Wash your hands
    Don't touch your face
    All of the things the others said

9. Dynamite Boys

Dynamite Boys Companion

Nov 7, 2010

Our school broadcasts a movie called, "Why don't we do it in our sleeves" at the start the of the "bug" season. It's the sillest movie about sneezing and coughing in your sleeve vs. your hands. The kids laugh as they watch it, but it's amazing how many of them figure out to cough/sneeze in their sleeve!! Our school has a DVD that we share, but it looks like you may be able to stream a smaller version through your computer.

10. UVAgrl928

UVAgrl928 Habitué

Nov 7, 2010

On an episode of The Office that I watched the other night, Pam was talking about "Vampire coughing" (coughing into your arm like it's a vampire cape). Thought that was cute.

Also, how frequently do you actually get sick? I have had constant sore throats since April, and recently my doctor told me that I am going to have to have my tonsils out. He said it would (hopefully) cut down on how frequently I get sick.

11. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 7, 2010

Then I guess I expect too much of kids. If they don't know any better, it's because their parents aren't teaching them squat. Kids will only know as much as what's taught to them at home & how their family life is. If kids are taught, they should know that it's inconsiderate to cough or sneeze w/o covering one's mouth. Just like when I've greeted many with a "Good Morning" or "Hello" & they're looking right at me, not saying a thing back as if I said nothing. But, I guess shame on me for expecting common courtesy.

Other than that,I realize we're in a line of work that is prone to get sick more often than some others. :)

All schools should do that.

12. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Nov 7, 2010

To be fair, kids learn stuff at school. If they don't know stuff, it might be because their teacher didn't teach it to them.

13. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Nov 8, 2010

14. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 8, 2010

OK, then I guess I'll blame you general ed teachers for not teaching them! :lol: (I'm just kidding of course!) The only time I've been working w/ kids is for 30 min to an hr since I'm the small group, pull out speech or special ed sub & I'm constantly saying "cover your mouth!" & "Turn your head!"
    That's the thing, kids SHOULD know & care about how they treat others. I mean there's always a school rule in the list of rules about "treating others as you'd like to be treated" or "show respect toward others", yada, yada. So, I guess it's like I said at first. I guess I'm expecting too much. Hey, when I was as young as 3 yrs old (pre-school), I covered my mouth, so if I can do it, they can do it. :)