couch in reading corner

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by stef527, Aug 4, 2005.

1. stef527

stef527 Rookie

Aug 4, 2005

Does anyone have a couch in their reading area or corner? I have seen a teacher use a couch in their classroom before and I thought it was such a cute idea! It makes the classroom very comfortable and homey. I thought maybe I could use it as a privilege at reading/calendar time for students who are behaving well and following directions. Has anyone tried this before?

3. FirstyearGr1

FirstyearGr1 Rookie

Aug 4, 2005

I have not had a couch in a reading corner before but I think it is a wonderful idea. I think it is a great way to children to feel comfortable as they read. Because as we know as adults, we dont always read sitting at a desk.

I have seen bean bad chairs in reading corners before, and I am thinking of getting these realy cute animal chairs from IKEA. I do not think I would let anyone use them during morning meeting. However, I have seen bean bag chairs used as an option for early finishers. For example, if you have choices for what they children should do when they are done with their work, one could be: Read a book on the green bean bag chair. Once someone picks that, then the other children know they have to pick something else. This would have to be a procedure thing explained and modeled, and also adapted for a couch :D

Hope this helps! :)

4. mmis

mmis Companion

Aug 4, 2005

Several of my friends at school have a couch in their reading corner. They love it. They use it during centers for the kids in the reading center. Also, when kids read around the room, they can use it then too. My son's teacher had a hot-pink sectional sofa - it was too cool!!

5. Miss W

Miss W Phenom

Aug 4, 2005

A couple of our teachers have huge Lazy Boy chairs. I think their husbands actually work there. The chairs are nice, but sometimes hard to get in the door. Another problem: head lice. Make sure you spray every once in a while.

6. Sarah Leigh Ann

Sarah Leigh Ann Companion

Aug 4, 2005

I have an inflatable couch and scoop chair made by Coleman in my reading center. I have a blanket set on the couch for the students to make it more comfortable. The couch is so comfortable!

7. teacher62604

teacher62604 Companion

Aug 4, 2005

I have a canopy and bean bags. They seem to work well. :)

[​IMG]

8. ChristyF

ChristyF Moderator

Aug 4, 2005

Our classrooms aren't large, but I know one of our 2nd grade teachers has a couple of park benches in her room. When I was in 4th grade one of the teachers (not mine) had a special chair. It was a desk that she had painted gold with stones, etc. Kids got to sit in it for their birthday and on special events (a kid who improved on a test, etc)

9. bina1357

bina1357 Companion

Aug 4, 2005

Hi,

I have seen a couch used in a 5th grade classroom. Nothing fancy, just kids sit on it during SSR or down time. I don't have room for a couch so I bought 2 small book shelves ( you can get them at Target/Walmart for like 15 bucks, they are very small & skinny...usually come in white or black, only 2 shelves) & I turned them on their sides, put nails on top of each shelf(so the shelves wouldn't fall down) & the kids have little benches to sit on plus the slots made by the shelves allow me to slide books in there.

I also have 2 pillows for kids to pull out & lay on. I used to have those pillows with the little arms & backs on them...you see them around back to school time for the college students.

10. Love to Teach

Love to Teach Cohort

Aug 4, 2005

I have a small sectional couch in my room. When I have enough room, I turn it with the back to the classroom rather than the corner, so that it makes a 'divider' as well. It really does make a cozy reading area. I divide the kids up assigning them one day as their day. They become the Couch Potatoes on their designated day. During DEAR reading or if we watch a movie that day, they get the couch. Also, on that day, they can use the couch for their worktime after I have presented a lesson. I have a small pocket chart where we change the names each day to show whose day it is to be a Couch Potato!! I also use the couch area when I do small reading groups. The kids really love it!! If your school will allow it, I highly recommend having one in your classroom!! :)

11. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Aug 4, 2005

I have had bean bags in the past and the kids love them. Since my kids are small (kindergarteners) two of them could fit and they loved sitting there with a partner and reading. I also have small plastic chairs I have purchased at Odd Job which is now Amazing Savings. I recently purchased minature plastic adirondack chairs. I am going to go to Target this weekend and see if they have any bean bags. I need a new one.

12. canada friend

canada friend Rookie

Aug 4, 2005

I have had a couch (actually a loveseat) in my classroom for years (with grades K-3) and the kids love it. I sit on it during our circle time. The kids sit on it during their listening centre and during DEAR time it is well used. I don't have any restrictions as far as sign up, etc. But during DEAR time the kids know if they are arguing about it or talking too much, it becomes closed for that day. This doesn't happen very often. I febreeze it every couple of days and have decided to get a cover this year.

13. canada friend

canada friend Rookie

Aug 4, 2005

Forgot to also mention, that when I was pregnant and not feeling well...I would lock my door at lunch and have a quick half hour nap in the afternoon on my couch. Worked well for that too!!!!

14. IndyJo

IndyJo Companion

Aug 5, 2005

I got a 70-ish style chair that seats two students easily. Since the fabric is a gross plaid, I bought a navy bed sheet to throw over it. It makes the room look comfy, my kids love it, and it was $7.50!