cotton balls

Discussion in 'Early Childhood Education Archives' started by clarnet73, Oct 1, 2006.

1. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 1, 2006

We're doing air and water transportation this week, and I wanted to do a science "experiment" where we could use OUR air to see how far we can blow cotton balls with or without a straw. I also have mini koosh balls I can use. I'm trying to figure out a good way that we can record what we find out... either an individual sheet for each kid or a class sheet... this will be in several small groups of 3-4 kids each.

Ideas?

3. MsAnn

MsAnn Companion

Oct 1, 2006

My immediate thought was a posterboard with "How Many Cottonballs?" at the top... then to show the distance by the number of cottonballs. (For example: Maria blew her cottonball 4 cottonball widths away so she gets 4 cotton balls, but Bobby got 2 because his measurement was two cotton balls way....)

I'll keep thinking though, that was just my first immediate reaction to the post.

4. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 1, 2006

Thanks, Ms. Ann. That helps me get started. I want something that will make sense to my kids, but also something that will be useful. ;)

5. Margo

Margo Devotee

Oct 2, 2006

How about as a way to introduce number identification you could have a number line down and they blow their cotton ball along the number line and count to the number that it is closest to. You could also use this to record the results. Jonny blew his cotton ball to the number 2 with his straw and the number 4 without, etc.

6. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Oct 2, 2006

can you use a sheet of graph paper, draw a "start line" then see how many squares the cotton can be blown with out a straw then with. you could graph the numbers if you want.

7. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Oct 3, 2006

OOh, i love those ideas. I ended up making a sheet for them to guess which they think will go farther, then we'll test. I did cotton ball with/without straw, koosh ball with/without straw, koosh/cotton with straw, and koosh/cotton without straw. I drew pictures for all of them, so I think they'll be able to do it (we did something similar with weighing toy trains last week). I may have to do the number line idea another time, because i LOVE it! :)