Costco/Sam's School Supplies?

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ayotte04, Jul 14, 2007.

1. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 14, 2007

This just hit me....has anyone checked out Costco/Sam's for school supplies?

I'm thinking if you are middle - high school, and you have scores of kids, you need things in bulk. Notecards? Paper?

Your thoughts?

3. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2007

I buy binders and copy paper (for my home printer) at Costco. I've also bought Expo markers there. When i was looking last year, their prices on things like spirals couldn't beat the sales at other stores.

4. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2007

I don't buy all that much for the kids in my class.

They get their own notebooks and binders and stuff.

I buy lots of posters and boarders and stuff. And I try to always have looseleaf on hand for those kids doing their homework before school. Likewise I have index cards and envelopes and other office supplies.

But I get most of that free at the school bookstore, and don't really go through much during the year.

But thanks for the tip; with 2 teachers and 3 kids in the house, we tend to go through lots and lots of school supplies. For US I can buy in bulk!!!

5. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Jul 14, 2007

Alice,
    I like binders for organizing me. You can get 4 packs (I think) of binders at costco for the price of 1 at office max. The only thing is that they are all white! They are the kind where you can slip a paper into the spines and front to label them, though.

6. Bitsy Griffin

Bitsy Griffin Companion

Jul 14, 2007

I buy the big packs of sharpies, pencils, markers there for my personal use at school. They usually last me the year.

7. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jul 15, 2007

I like warehouse stores most of the time, but it can be really hard to make sure you're getting a good deal. I guess it's just like any other store--you have to compare prices to make sure you're getting the best deal. Sometimes it really is cheaper to get 15 small boxes of pencils than to get one giant box from Sam's. On the other hand, I've seen those huge packs of 50 or so gel pens for around 5 dollars at Sam's, and that's a steal!

8. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

I'll have to look for the binders. I figured Costco wouldn't have EVERYTHING for the best price, but in case they did....

I'm going to swing over there tomorrow.

9. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Jul 15, 2007

I've bought a few things at Sam's, but typically I can find the things I need at better prices on sale other places.

10. devama

devama Companion

Jul 15, 2007

im planning on getting a mailbox setup (im a new teacher) for my classroom at sam's club. i worked with a teacher last year who bought hers there and it was great! they are on the website under the office section (along with a lot of other great supplies)!

11. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

what do you mean a mailbox....? please explain more =)

12. teachmemath

teachmemath Companion

Jul 15, 2007

i have brought self-inked stamps from costco. They are pretty cool.

13. ayotte04

ayotte04 Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

how much are those stamps Teachme?

14. OtterMom

OtterMom Comrade

Jul 15, 2007

Ayotte - I think the mailbox is a literature organizer. Sam's has an oak organizer for about $64. (It has 24 compartments - 8 levels, 3 across - that hold about 2" of papers in each.) There's also one that's slightly less expensive, but it's not as sturdy.