Costco or Sam's?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by melnm, Mar 23, 2014.

1. melnm

melnm Companion

Mar 23, 2014

I have had a Sam's Club membership for the past several years and shop there regularly. Recently a Costco was built in my area though and I'm considering getting a membership there instead. I've heard so many good things about the store, but I've never been in one. Does anyone know enough about the two of them to compare?

From what I understand, Costco is more expensive but healthier. I got my membership at Sam's initially to save both money and time shopping. Money is not as tight now though, and I am trying to get my family to eat heathier, so I'm thinking Costco might be a better fit.

3. Mrs.DLC

Mrs.DLC Comrade

Mar 23, 2014

My daughter has both and uses Costco more. We aren't close to either, I have been a Sam's Club member for many years in the past.(Teacher discount-got a gift card.)

4. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Mar 23, 2014

Go to Costco..tell them your interested they may give you a visitor pass... We did that years ago with Sam's! We are members of Sam's, another fam member thought about getting Costco so we could visit to either...
    We have been Sam's members one closer to us & 2 their return policy is easy as well....

5. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 23, 2014

I have both stores within a very short equal distance from me. I used to be a member of Sam's, but I think that was before my Costco was built. I like Costco more & many others seem to as well. I love the frozen food aisles & they put out new products more often from what I recall. Sam's is a part of the Walmart family if that means anything to you. I personally can't stand Walmart...but I'm a tad better these days than I used to.

6. mr_post22

mr_post22 Companion

Mar 23, 2014

I LOVE Costco. If I NEED to go to Sam's I will just ask my aunt to take me and use her membership but Costco is easier to get to and they sell the 300 count Kleenex boxes in a pack of eight. I haven't bought tissues for my classroom in two years. But if you want to by bulk name brand candy like M&M's, Costco doesn't have it (I got sucked into buying candy for the chorus teacher for a candy fundraiser).

7. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Mar 23, 2014

Oh another thing, I like how Costco sells gift cards for various retailers year-round for a slight discount than if you bought the GCs elsewhere. And when summer approaches, they sell them for even more places:

- few amusement parks
    - Dodgers baseball game tix + 2 hot dogs & 2 drinks
    - Jamba Juice
    - See's Candy
    - Skiing excursion - lift tix, etc.
    - Some restaurants
    - Movie theaters...1 pair for $2-3 less than if you bought tix at the theater...I buy these sometimes!

You can also get like 5 books of stamps for a lower price than the post office.

I assume Sam's does this too. Anyone know which stores/excursions they sell GCs for?

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Mar 23, 2014

I love Costco!

We don't have Sam's Club, but there's a WalMart and Target in my town.

I always joke that if you don't want to run into everyone and their mom, don't go to Costco on the weekend! Ours gets packed.

9. comaba

comaba Cohort

Mar 23, 2014

Costco!!

I love Costco. I go every week, and get most of my food there, as well as most of my nonfood grocery items.

Plus, they're great to their employees!

10. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Mar 23, 2014

Another vote for Costco. I love that place.

11. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2014

Costco is much better. Plus, I don't like spending money at Wal-Mart if I can help it, and that's what I'm doing if I shop at Sam's.

12. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 23, 2014

My local costco has bulk brand name candy. You can get a 3 lb bag of M&Ms for like $8 or $10.

Or a 26 pack of hershey's chocolate for $12.

13. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Mar 23, 2014

My family doesn't eat that much candy in a YEAR!:eek: Might come in handy at Halloween though.

14. melnm

melnm Companion

Mar 23, 2014

It looks like Costco is the winner! I think I will do like Diznee suggested and see if I can get a visitor pass.

15. Blue

Blue Aficionado

Mar 24, 2014

Our Costco will give out a visitor's pass. You can shop, but you have to pay cash.

16. bros

bros Phenom

Mar 24, 2014

We just get the 5 pound bag of fun size candy at Halloween - $13.49 for 150 piece of various fun size candy - snickers, milky way, M&Ms (plain and peanut), twix and almond joy.

17. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Mar 24, 2014

We have a Costco right up the street, but when we're buying a lot we go a few miles further to one that's in Ventura county, where the sales tax is a bit lower. Also, that one has gas pumps, and they're usually the lowest price around. If you buy a TV at Costco, they add another year to the warranty.

18. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Mar 24, 2014

When we lived closer to a metro area I had Sam's first. They made me mad when it came to taking a computer back that I had bought that crashed within the warranty period. So after that I wasn't very happy about going. Soon after that a Costco opened up just a mile or two up the road from Sam's so I tried it. I love Costco. I wish we had one closer. We have a Sam's I could go too if I wanted to in town about 100 miles from me but I don't get there often enough to make it worth my while to get a card.