Cosmetic Surgery

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Jun 18, 2018.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 18, 2018

I'll try to make this short.

About 13 years ago (my first year teaching), I was in a horribly bad car accident. The airbag saved me, but resulted in a broken nose. My nose didn't heal properly and has looked crooked all these years. I've accepted the way it looks, however, it has also impeded my breathing quite significantly.

Long story short, I've saved up the money for a rhinoplasty and septoplasty. I can't wait to get it done as I've forgotten what it's like to breathe properly and have a normal looking nose.

Anyway, there's a particular surgeon in the Bay Area who I want to perform the surgery. Unfortunately, he can't get me in until July 13th. I go back to work on July 23rd, so I've only got 10 days to heal. He says I'll probably still have black eyes when I go back to work and that there will still be some swelling.

I have Admin Summit (meetings/seminars for all district leaders) the week of the 23rd. I'm so nervous that I'm going to look like I got in a really bad bar fight and lost! :(

Last edited: Jun 19, 2018
  3. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Jun 18, 2018

One of my principals sported a black eye and a fat lip for about a week this year. I didn’t ask for details, but I assume it was a hockey injury. We are Canadian, after all.

mrsf70 and MrsC like this.
  4. rpan

rpan Cohort

Jun 19, 2018

Just tell the truth, that you’ve had a nose job :)

5. CherryOak

CherryOak Companion

Jun 19, 2018

I can understand your hesitation, but you'll get through it. I had a family member finally have hers done after a car wreck had messed it up ages ago. She was so happy to breathe fully. I hope your reaction is the same!

6. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 19, 2018

"I had a previous injury reversed."

Let them figure out how THAT one works. :whistle:

Linguist92021 likes this.
  7. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Jun 19, 2018

If it impacts your breathing, this is not "cosmetic" surgery but rather "reconstructive" surgery. You never know what your healing will be like, so get the surgery when you can get the doctor who is best.

8. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Jun 19, 2018

I had my nose broken in high school, and had surgery done immediately after. I went back to school shortly after my surgery and covered up the black eyes with full coverage concealer and glasses, and not many people noticed. The most annoying part about it is they put packing in your nose, and it drips constantly. It’s like Chinese Water Tortutre!

9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Jun 19, 2018

I just recently had cosmetic jaw surgery and experienced significant swelling, though it has started to go down — it took like 4-5 days to see a reduction by half, though results vary as every patient is unique. My surgeon said not to expect to see major results until the end of summer, but that swelling can be mitigated with a compression pad and should continually lessen within the next 2-3 weeks.

In the case of a rhinoplasty, the swelling can be pretty extensive since you have to wear a nose pad and facial gauze. You can expect to see black and blue even yellow around your eyes and nose. Your eyes might be puffy. Nose jobs are not pretty, but you will look better afterward. (BTW, I’ve never had a nose job, but I know people who have and I’ve researched it quite a bit.) Look up RealSelf to see examples of people’s rhinoplasties online.

I feel for you and am wearing my chin compression pad right now. With it, I look like my regular self, haha!

10. vickilyn

vickilyn Magnifico

Jun 19, 2018

OP, it is important to your health to get it done. Wear concealer to make the color less noticeable, and come up with some quick funny comments to make people at ease, that this is a good thing. Remind them that you will be a better version of yourself with a little time, and it is worth the effort because of the breathing difficulties - after all, you don't want to be one of the dreaded "mouth breathers"! Best of luck on your surgery. I am having knee replacement surgery, and I have talked about it with staff and students, so no one is surprised if I'm not back to full speed ahead in the fall.

futuremathsprof likes this.
  11. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Jun 19, 2018

Honestly, I wouldn't even call it cosmetic. You have a deviated septum.

12. futuremathsprof

Jun 19, 2018

I know someone who had both knees replaced and he was a new man afterward! He regretted not doing it years ago. You’ll be so glad you did yours.

I hope that your surgery is successful and you experience improved quality of life.

13. futuremathsprof

Jun 19, 2018

It’s mostly reconstructive, but it is still cosmetic in nature because he is undergoing invasive surgery to improve his outward appearance.

14. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jun 19, 2018

I agree with MissCeliaB and catfiddle. You would be better off avoiding the use of "cosmetic" to describe the procedure for a couple of reasons. If your doctor agrees that it is not elective surgery, but something that you need to correct a serious medical condition, it would be more likely that it would be covered by your insurance company. Secondly, people tend to get the wrong impression when they hear the word "cosmetic" (=vanity) - the TV show Botched comes to mind. Just tell them that your getting long-awaited corrective surgery is for breathing problems caused by a car accident in the past.

As you probably know, almost every district holds annual administrative summits/retreats for its VIPS often at exclusive locations. I attended one at a lavish Lake Tahoe resort and don't blame you for not wanting to miss out! However, if I were in your situation, I would definitely try to opt out if possible. A) These events are often filled with a lot of administrative fluff followed by rounds of golf, spa treatments, etc. You can always get a debriefing from your principal/boss afterwards. B) Your participation in the "heavy" discussions and fun and games would be greatly compromised by your post-surgery discomfort and dripping. C) The avoidable physical activity may exacerbate the healing process and may even contribute to unforeseen complications - don't push your luck.

Even if the summit were to be held at your district office, I would choose bed rest over long, boring meetings and presentations. Remember, refrain from telling your boss that you're going in for cosmetic surgery to gain support for your absence. If it would make you feel better, you could always discuss it with your superintendent too. No offense, but as an AP, your absence from the summit should not make a difference. You should make use of your sick leave during this time.

15. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 19, 2018

Insurance rejected the claim—twice. They labeled it a cosmetic surgery due to the rhinoplasty part of the procedure. Therefore, I’m paying 100% out of pocket (which I’m fine with as I’ve saved for it).

I already let my principal know what’s going on. She’s a wonderful person and extremely supportive. She, too, is getting a procedure done this summer. We’re both coming back as new and improved versions of ourselves.

The summit will be held at the district office. It’ll be a lot of sit and get.

16. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 19, 2018

Tell anyone who asks, “You should see the other guy!” ;)

17. a2z

a2z Maven

Jun 20, 2018

I've been there with a different surgery. I went back to work with huge bruises on my face and looked like I was abused. The funniest part about the incident is that I had forgotten about the bruises because the pain of the surgery was gone and the bruising was on the sides of my face so I didn't notice it that much when looking straight on in the mirror. I sat wondering why I was getting so many odd looks.

Good luck on your surgery. It really sucks that they won't allow your nose to be corrected properly and covered. But then again, it wasn't until recently that insurances were covering re-constructive surgeries for women who had mastectomies due to cancer.

18. Been There

Been There Habitué

Jun 20, 2018

I'm beginning to understand why you're sooooo happy in your current position! You're soooo fortunate! Here's to an uneventful medical procedure and a speedy recovery!

19. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jun 21, 2018

Best wishes for a quick recovery. I hope you’re a fast healer!

20. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Jul 4, 2018

I love everyone’s retorts! My toughest day ever was when I had to go back to school after skin cancer surgery right in the middle of my face. My students showed a lot of empathy. It was really a positive in the end.

21. futuremathsprof

Jul 5, 2018

Update on my jaw surgery: The swelling in my chin area has completely subsided after nearly 3 weeks and my results exceeded my expectations. I’m loving the new contour of my face and think my new jawline compliments my facial features very nicely — I have very light brown skin (tan), a slender nose, green eyes, curly/wavy dark brown hair, and now a spiffy new chin.

The absolute best part is that it looks completely natural. This came as a huge relief to me because I was very nervous with the initial swelling. As such, I’m definitely going to write a letter of gratitude to my surgeon — he is an expert at his craft.

To any of you contemplating cosmetic surgery, do it. You’ll be glad you did. Just research the procedure you wish to have done extensively beforehand and find a really good surgeon who specializes in that procedure. I personally looked for many days to find the best one who did the incision through the inside of the mouth because I didn’t want any external scarring. The other surgeons I contacted would have made an external incision under the chin and I refused to accept that approach because why would you want a visible scar?

Good luck to YoungTeacherGuy and anyone else getting cosmetic surgery! :)

22. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 15, 2018

Update: today marks day 6 since the surgery. I had two large black eyes the day after surgery. I'm taking Arcnia & Bromelain tablets regularly to speed up the recovery process.

Nose is looking good. I'm just self-conscious about the black eyes.

I go back to work next Monday, July 23rd. We have district-wide admin meetings all week, so I'm hoping the bruising subsides by then. The good thing is that I'm wearing contacts lenses instead of glasses (since I've worn glasses for 20+ years, everyone knows me with "specs"), so if anyone points out that I look different-- I can tell 'em it's the contacts.

23. ssgirl11

ssgirl11 Companion

Jul 15, 2018

Just curious, did they end up putting packing in your nose?

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  24. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 15, 2018

The packing, by far, was the worst part of the entire experience. When they removed it on Friday, I was so incredibly happy.

ssgirl11 and futuremathsprof like this.
  25. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jul 16, 2018

I'm glad you came through it well! I hope you are happy with the long-term results. I go for cataract surgery in two weeks. Not quite the same thing ..... but I am looking forward to getting it over with. Of course, it needs to be done twice, two weeks apart.

YoungTeacherGuy likes this.
  26. a2z

a2z Maven

Jul 16, 2018

I have a little ditty you can sing in your head when you start feeling self-conscious. Then you can laugh about it instead of worrying about it.

27. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jul 16, 2018

You will be glad you had it done! I can now read without reading glasses. I was at the surgical center for two hours, but the actual surgery took only about twenty minutes. There are lots of eye drops beforehand. The most annoying part was having to sleep with the plastic shield taped over it for a week.

28. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 16, 2018

I thought my dad was lying when he said he doesn't need his reading glasses anymore since having his surgery!

He said reading glasses made him look like a grandpa. I had to remind him that he is a grandpa! Haha!

29. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 16, 2018

I heard this is a quick and painless surgery! Dad just had it done.

Upsadaisy likes this.
  30. kellzy

kellzy Comrade

Jul 17, 2018

Make up an awesome, or ridiculous story as to what happened, but tell everyone who asks a different story, so no one knows what happened.
    Tell one person you saved a baby from a burning oil field, tell someone else you were skydiving but the parachute didn't deploy, tell someone else you have a secret night job as a trapeze artist and you had a training accident.
    As someone who has started rumours about myself before just for my own, personal amusement, there's nothing more fun than harmlessly messing with people.

catnfiddle and Upsadaisy like this.
  31. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 17, 2018

Sorry, but I would hate it if someone did this to me. I guess I have a different idea of fun.

futuremathsprof and bella84 like this.
  32. Aces

Aces Habitué

Jul 17, 2018

Yeah... Let's not and say we did? For one that is completely unprofessional, immature, and inappropriate. Why can't op just tell the truth he had a nose job and leave it at that? It shouldn't be a big deal, nor is it really anyone's business but his own and who he chooses to tell.

@op: glad you came through ok!

33. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 17, 2018

I get that that might sound funny, but no. I was born & raised in the community where I serve. Imagine someone approaching my parents in the grocery store or WalMart saying, "I can't believe (insert made up story) happened to your son!!!"

futuremathsprof likes this.
  34. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Jul 17, 2018

I'm glad you are feeling better!