Cortisone Injection?

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out' started by terptoteacher, Sep 23, 2012.

1. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 23, 2012

Anyone ever had one in their hip? Did it hurt? I am getting one next week. I hope it helps! I'm so tired of being in pain!

3. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Sep 24, 2012

Not in my hip, but in both knees.

The pain relief is immediate for me and the actual injection doesn't hurt much. I always feel like I want to dance out of the office because my knees feel so good.

My ortho will only do them every 3-4 months.

4. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2012

It depends on your injury. What is the issue with your hip? I have a bad ankle fracture.

I had one into my ankle and for the first 24 hours it hurt so bad I was almost in tears. Then for the next two days it was better. Then it went back to "normal" (which is a constant throbbing pain). I won't get one again because the relief doesn't last long enough.

5. MikeTeachesMath

MikeTeachesMath Devotee

Sep 24, 2012

Like lucybelle said, it depends where it's being injected. I had to get one in my foot once and it hurt soooo bad.

6. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Sep 24, 2012

I had one in my foot and one in my hand. The foot hurt, the hand didn't much. Neither one helped, though. Good luck with yours. I hope your pain responds to it.

7. dr.gator

dr.gator Comrade

Sep 24, 2012

Mine was in the finger and hurt like heck. It did help though.

8. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Sep 24, 2012

My mom has had them in the hip, foot, and shoulder. They really do help. She has a major phobia with needles, too. It must really help for her to agree to be anywhere near a needle.

9. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2012

I have some degeneration of the hip joint and lots of swelling and a few other issues actually? I've been on pain meds for a month and I don't like to take a lot of pills.

10. WindyCityGal606

WindyCityGal606 Enthusiast

Sep 24, 2012

I had one in my hip a year ago but the pain relief didn't come for about a week and it was not much better than advil and only lasted a month. I have had long term pain relief from working out and losing weight. As I've strengthened my muscles and bones, I am virtually pain free. I have heard it works great for some though.

11. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Sep 24, 2012

My mom got one in her knee. The injection site hurt for a day or two, but she has been walking with much less pain. She said if she had been asked the night of the shot, she would never agree to get another one, but now she says she's get another one if she needs to.

12. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Sep 24, 2012

I think cortisone are definitely more for soft-tissue damage. I think the reason the shot didn't help me is because my pain is coming from a fracture site. I hope it helps! Let us know!:)

13. bros

bros Phenom

Sep 24, 2012

My dad had to get injections in his shoulder area (I believe where the arm meets the shoulder) for a while. Like over the period of a couple of years, eventually the pain went away. Like if it hadn't disappeared on the final x-ray, the doctor would've had to have done surgery on his shoulder, because he had reached his limit for Cortisone shots.

14. WaterfallLady

WaterfallLady Enthusiast

Sep 25, 2012

I had one in my spine, 2 different times. I really felt like I should be bedridden the next day, but I was okay to go to school. I just had to take it easy.

I had another one for my allergies in my arm and it didn't hurt at all.

It's really not anything to dread.