correcting misspelled words

Discussion in 'Second Grade' started by AngelM, Jun 23, 2008.

1. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jun 23, 2008

When do you correct misspelled words on student papers? I'm not talking about writing that goes through the editing process. For example, when a student responds to a writing prompt as part of a lit center, do you correct the spelling when you look over it? One teacher told me that she corrects the high-frequency words that students should know by 2nd grade as well as the spelling words that they have previously had. She does not correct more advanced words that the students have phonetically sounded out/spelled.

I like this approach but then think that a paper goes home where it seems that I've only noticed "some" of the misspelled words. On the other hand, I hate to constantly send home writing that's all marked up (or not marked at all!!). Hope all this rambling makes sense :)

Your thoughts/approaches?

3. RainStorm

RainStorm Phenom

Jun 23, 2008

I have a stamp that says "Checked, but not corrected." This way parents know I didn't correct it. I agree with only marking high frequency words or spelling words that should have been mastered. If you mark too many things in red, children worry too much about spelling, and not enough about putting down the content that they know.

4. trayums

trayums Enthusiast

Jun 23, 2008

I have the exact same type of stamp and I use it when I do not correct everything on the page. Typically, I make sure that our ww words are spelled correctly but since spelling is so developmental, I don't tend to do too much correcting of it.

5. MissFroggy

MissFroggy Aficionado

Jun 23, 2008

I only have them correct HF words as well.

6. staceydewet

staceydewet New Member

Jun 24, 2008

I agree to correct high frequency words and or words that they should know because they are vocabulary words, or words that are spelled correctly in the prompt. If we corrected every mispelled word from a second grader their paper would be filled with red ink.

7. AngelM

AngelM Rookie

Jun 24, 2008

Okay, I need to get one of those stamps!! Glad to know I'm somewhat on the right track. :D Thanks!

8. hescollin

hescollin Fanatic

Jun 24, 2008

The misspelled words that they should know goes on a sticky note and each student gets four extra bonus words each week taken from their sticky note.

9. MsWilks13

MsWilks13 Rookie

Jun 24, 2008

Rainstorm:

What a great idea with the stamp! I might try that this year.

10. TeachnRox

TeachnRox Companion

Jul 1, 2008

spelling errors

Great thread idea! I have students correct Word Wall Words, and if one is misspelled I write "WWW" above it and make them change it. It is a somewhat time consuming, I have also taken off for this on spelling dictation.

The last workshop I went to she wrote corrections at the bottom of the page rather than fixing the mistakes for them.

For example: if a student wrote "iz" instead of "is", she would just write the correct spelling at the bottom of the page, and the student would have to search their paper for the incorrect word and change it.

if a student wrote: I like school We learn a lot It is fun
    She would write at the bottom of the page: . . . (which means needs three periods)

if a student wrote: i like school we learn a lot it is fun
    She would write at the bottom of the page: Up arrow (capital letter) . up arrow . up arrow .

if a student has anditis and wrote: i like school. And we learn a lot. And it is fun
    she would write: up arrow (this means capital letter) the word And with it crossed out the word And with it crossed out.

I thought this would be great instead of actually telling them where the mistake was, it forces the student to find the error. This would probably be more difficult with older kids (longer papers), but for those 1-4 sentence papers or worksheets, it might be beneficial.

hope this helps and makes sense :)

11. 2love2teach

2love2teach Companion

Jul 1, 2008

great idea teachnrocks

12. janlee

janlee Devotee

Jul 1, 2008

I guess I am in the minority. I correct all misspelled words as well as incorrect punctuation. Also, I never use red ink to mark anything. I use green, purple, or blue.

13. Lysander

Lysander Companion

Jul 8, 2008

I correct spelling for Word Wall Words, high frequency words, and previous spelling words. As far as sending home work that looks only partially corrected, I make this policy clear to parents in my Back to School Night presentation, as well as a letter sent home to parents who missed the presentation. In 10 years of teachig, I have only had three parents who disagreed with this policy. For those parents, I graded their students according to the policy, but circled other mispelled words so that they could correct them. I do use red when I am grading, but also use blue, green, purple, orange, etc. so red is just another color.