Corporal punishment???

Discussion in 'General Education' started by YoungTeacherGuy, Jul 11, 2016.

1. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 11, 2016

I must be wearing rose-colored glasses because I had absolutely no idea that teachers and administrators can strike students in certain states.

Sounds like this mostly happens in the Deep South, though?

Am I the only one who didn't know that students still get paddled here in the United States?

To be perfectly honest, I initially thought I was reading articles from The Onion.

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 11, 2016

I know that the subject has come up here a few times in the past, so I knew that it happened. I'm surprised at the number of states where it is still legal, and occurring. I could never work in an environment where hitting children is okay.

4. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 11, 2016

It is legal in Ohio, but the district needs massive amounts of guidelines and documentation. I don't think any of our 600+ districts use corporal punishment.

5. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Jul 11, 2016

Please don't generalize about the "deep south" without doing your own research. Some northern states like Colorado allow it.

Here are the 19 states that allow it: Alabama, Arizona, Arkansas, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Idaho, Indiana, Kansas, Kentucky, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, North Carolina, Oklahoma, South Carolina, Tennessee, Texas and Wyoming. In many places, parental permission is required — and often given. It is more prevalent in Texas; least prevalent in Wyoming. The last state to abolish it was New Mexico, in 2011.

2ndTimeAround and Backroads like this.
  6. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jul 11, 2016

I thought I read that the parent had to sign a waiver saying they would allow it or not? Maybe only in certain states or I might have read wrong.

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 11, 2016

My district uses corporal punishment. We have a policy for it. Only administrators are allowed to implement, and they must have a certified teacher/administrator witness it. Parents can opt out (most do not). An alternative punishment (one day OSS) is offered. It is one swat.

I am against corporal punishment, and am grateful I have good classroom management because it is implemented on a second visit to the principal in a year. I rarely write office referrals because I can't handle it. I've had to witness a few because I happened to be available. It's completely surreal.

I will also add, that in my area, most parents use corporal punishment in their own homes. My husband and I are alone in our friend group that does not use corporal punishment.

8. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Jul 11, 2016

I only heard of it on these forums a while back, I was surprised. I was also surprised that it was done by an administrator, as a certain level of discipline, I guess I only imagined it as it was done back in the day, if the teachers feels like it she/he hits you.
    I'm against corporal punishment at school, I would never be ok with someone touching my child.

9. EdEd

EdEd Aficionado

Jul 11, 2016

Colorado can be pretty "southern" in some ways ;)

10. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 11, 2016

Do you (or other teachers) feel is is effective? You say you don't like it, so you may say no, but how do other teachers feel about the practice? Does it discourage student misbehavior any more than just the usual threat of an office trip or call home?

Backroads likes this.
  11. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Jul 11, 2016

So weird to me!

I confess, I'm not entirely against spanking one's own kids (when kept to a rarity) but it just seems so... off... for school.

otterpop likes this.
  12. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 11, 2016

Yes, it seems strange to me too! It is hard to believe it happens in today's lawsuit-happy world. There have also been several studies released that say spanking can impact brain development. I have heard multiple older adults say that corporal punishment kept them and others in line when they are in school, though.

This is a sad story in the article:

As a sixth-grader in Birmingham, Alabama, Hill was allegedly paddled and realized the harshness of the punishment as an adult. “It was almost as if we [black boys] were targeted by this particular teacher,” Hill said, noting that he was diagnosed with dyslexia as an adult and behaviors teachers and principals treated as misbehavior were actually signs of a learning disability.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  13. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2016

It may still be legal in those states, that doesn't mean it is commonly used though.

14. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 11, 2016

I didn't know anything about any of this until I started reading. My brief statement about the Deep South was taken from an article I read. Yes--I knew about the 19 states that allow it because I read the article that you copied and pasted that information from.

15. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 11, 2016

I've taught in another district (about 30 miles away, so same area), that didn't use corporal punishment. Students at my current school do not want to go to the office. There is more respect for authority. I don't think it is solely because of corporal punishment though. Some teachers do feel it is effective.

16. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 11, 2016

I can only speak for my school, but it is very commonly used. Parents are always called beforehand and offered an alternative, but most parents approve the paddling.

17. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Jul 11, 2016

The way your post was worded sounded classist and elitist, like saying the "deep south" is some backwards region. Different does not equal bad.

brigidy likes this.
  18. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 11, 2016

That's true. There is a notice in the beginning of the year papers that will allow admin to paddle students if signed, and some parents sign it. It's usually the parents of kids who never get in trouble so I can't remember the last time I've heard of a kid getting a swat. It's been at least fifteen years. Maybe more.

I seem to recall one incident with a teacher administering seats in the principal's office as per the principal and parent's request more than twenty years ago, but I would be surprised if a teacher administered a swat these days. I would not if asked. I'd have to be written up.

Usually kids sent to the office at my last school got a treat from a prize box and were sent back to class.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2016
  19. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 11, 2016

My parents both got paddled (here in CA) back in the 1960s. It's mind boggling to me!

20. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 11, 2016

So it's not just my school then.:rolleyes:

teacherintexas likes this.
  21. TnKinder

TnKinder Companion

Jul 11, 2016

My district got rid of paddling about 12 years ago. When. We had it, parents signed a waiver during registration and we're called before the swats were administered. The P or AP did the actual swatting, 3 at most, with the teach acting as the witness. Before it was banned in district, parents were surveyed and over 70% of parents wanted corporal punishment as a part of school discipline. The board banned it but didn't really replace it with anything else except OSS.

22. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 11, 2016

Nope.

23. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jul 11, 2016

I think it would be nice if it were an option at the school, not used regularly, just an option that the students knew COULD happen.

ChildWhisperer and nstructor like this.
  24. nstructor

nstructor Cohort

Jul 11, 2016

It has not been legal in Ohio in over 30 years.

25. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 11, 2016

Frankly, I didn't say anything negative whatsoever about the south.

I get the feeling you're from there (since you were obviously offended), so can you shed any light on the articles?

26. stephenpe

stephenpe Connoisseur

Jul 11, 2016

I began school in 1961. Small town near Gainesville Fla (Go gators). I was in 1st grade. I LOVED school. I think my 1st grade teacher slapped me in the face once but never paddled me. 2nd grade teacher had a paddle called big boy, Not sure if she paddled my but probably did. 3rd grade teacher had the little bolo paddle (red ball on a rubber band). Never got and for some reason was scared of it. 4-6th I got the paddle more than a few times. In 6th grade I got two swats one time for coming into a school window on the wknd. The swatter was the principal and the 6th grade teacher. Great educator and smart man. Went to a jr sr high school,, IT was grades 7-12. They paddled, Not me. I was good. My Sr year my basketball coach caught me shooting baskets one day in May skipping a class. Jeezzz I had only 3 more weeks of school. He marched me to the office to paddle me. I told him he wasnt gonna paddle me. (we didnt get along but I was his point gaurd for two years). I let the AP give me a swat. It was almost funny. So after college I began teaching middle school in 78. We paddled. I gave a few swats during the year. We only needed to write it up and the office approved it. Had to have and adult witness.
    After that year I was always elem. and the principals would paddle. I may have done it a few more times over the years.
    It worked. I didnt do it much. It was always one swat. The deal was 85% of the kids would avoid it by behaving, They did not want a swat. 10% would misbehave and get it sometimes but it worked for them. A small % you could swat everyday and it wouldnt work. So you tried something else. ISS or worse.
    It was a last resort after trying other things. Parents had the call. They could say no with their signature.
    I know some call it child abuse. My dad used to spank with a belt. I probably never started smoking young because of that (never did smoke) He stopped when I was in 7th grade. He is now 85 and I would do anything for him. He didnt just spank me he loved me and took care of me and taught me how to be a man. My own kids? I just used my hand a few times when they were young.
    Once again. Some call it child abuse. Well. I have seen child abuse and it is awful. Children ignored, verbally abused all the time, Parents on drugs that lie to them and give them no love or worse. That is a child abuse. After having plenty of swats on my behind I can seriously say that is not child abuse and never scarred me. And my peers from that era will line up and say the same. We deserved it usually and got away with more that wasnt punished. Sorry this was so long. I respect those that abhor it or condemn it. I have seen it from all sides.
    But I will admit in this day and age the litigation would cost a fortune. My boss could still do it but this is why she wont. She puts it all on parents. Come get your little angels when they are bad. She is good. But she believes in it.

27. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Jul 11, 2016

No, I'm not from the south.

28. Loomistrout

Loomistrout Devotee

Jul 11, 2016

An excerpt from testimony delivered by Donald E. Greydanus MD, Dr. HC (ATHENS) to a committee on corporal punishment in schools:

Corporal Punishment in Schools and its Effect on
    Academic Success

There is no clear evidence that such punishment leads to better control in
    the classroom. (2,10,11,13,19,21,22) Physically punishing children has never been shown to enhance moral character development, increase the student’s respect for teachers or other authority figures in general, or offer greater security for the teacher. (2,6,8,19,21) Children who are subjected to corporal punishment in school, in my view, are being physically, emotionally, and mentally abused; indeed, there are no data demonstrating that students subjected to corporal punishment in schools develop enhanced social or self-control skills. (2,4,7,21)

29. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 12, 2016

Just to be clear, I fully agree with the research you cited. I am not in charge of district policies, and I was simply relaying how it works in my district.

30. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 12, 2016

We use it, sparingly. Yes, with certain students I feel that it does work. My principal is the only one that does it and only after talking to parents. If parents do not want it to happen, they can come pick their child up and he/she can be suspended. Paddling is a last resort and only after we have tried everything else. Some kids it does not phase and some just the threat is enough to stop the behavior.

nstructor likes this.
  31. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jul 12, 2016

And I don't want to debate it, but I just was sharing about schools in my area.

otterpop likes this.
  32. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 12, 2016

What a hot debate :D
    Corporal punishment was used for hundreds of years without any problems.
    Now, even a small spanking is considered child abuse, and kids these days are more disrespectful than ever.
    I've worked with several teachers that think our state should bring it back. Even if we never used it, the fact that it's an option and that it could happen would make the kids behave. "Time outs" & redirection just don't always work. It takes away from their play time & learning time, both of which they need.

33. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Jul 12, 2016

I did teach for a while in an Asian country, in which corporal punishment is sometimes used at home and at school. Far fewer discipline problems and much more respect for education. This could also be due to cultural values of education. However, I also had a student tell me that if they didn't get good grades, they would be (slap on the hand motion). I think this was a pretty common thing there.

ChildWhisperer likes this.