"Copying in not permitted"

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Pi-R-Squared, Apr 26, 2024.

1. Pi-R-Squared

Pi-R-Squared Connoisseur

Apr 26, 2024

We received a sample curriculum that consisted of one copy of the teacher's guide and student workbook. The P would like me to try it out to see if it's worth purchasing in the future. Presently, we have 3 years left with our current set of books so it seems purchasing will be much later..... Also, the samples do not come with online access..... When I look in the student workbook, on the bottom of each page it says, "Copying is not permitted." So, it seems that I cannot make copies to hand out to students. So not knowing how to proceed, I asked P about it and he said, "Whatever you do, I don't want to know about it." That says to me that he's washing his hands and telling me to do what I want but it's probably not what you're supposed to do and if you get caught, the P don't know nothing! It seems clear I cannot make copies but the P wants me to try it out.... So what are my options?

3. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Virtuoso

Apr 26, 2024

I never understood how we were expected to try out a sample without being able to actually USE the materials. I just copied and used it. I wasn’t publishing it or making money from it, so I took my chances.

MrTempest and Linguist92021 like this.
  4. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Apr 27, 2024

I would copy them. I would document he conversation with the P, that you were told to use he sample and try it out, and basically implied hat you need to do what you need to do, even though it's against the rules. Document the actual conversation.

Most likely nothing will ever come of it but this should help?
    The "copying is not permitted" warning is there so that a school district will not just use the samples and make copies instead of purchasing the materials. Your school is evaluating the curriculum with the intention of purchasing, if it all works out.

miss-m likes this.
  5. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Apr 30, 2024

I think you're taking this too seriously. How are they going to know you copied the book so you could sample it?

MrTempest likes this.
  6. benhatchins

benhatchins Rookie

May 7, 2024

This is ridiculous

MrTempest likes this.