copying homework down?

Discussion in 'First Grade' started by jennyd, Aug 11, 2007.

1. jennyd

jennyd Companion

Aug 11, 2007

I was just wondering how many of you have your students copy down their homework each night. Last year was my first year teaching 1st and I had the students do it as part of their morning routines, and in the school I subbed in previously the 1st graders copied their homework down each day. I'm the only 1st grade teacher at my school, though, so I was just looking for a little perspective as I get ready for the new year.

Also, if you DO have your students copy their homework down, where/how do you do it? We don't have assignment books for the lower grades at my school, so I just had the kids use a notebook with the big fat lines. It worked pretty well last year, both as copying practice, communicating the homework, and as a means to communicate with parents (I asked that parents initial it each night, and it was a great way for them to write me a quick note if the homework was difficult or not).

:) :thanks:
    Jen

3. 1stferg

1stferg Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

I'm not sure what you mean. I don't assign a lot of homework. My parents know from the parent meeting in Aug that if the child brings home a book they read it. If a home link for math comes home they do the activity. Vocabulary and Spelling words are assigned on Friday and sentences for them are due on Monday. That's really it for homework.

4. JenL

JenL Comrade

Aug 11, 2007

i too dont assign much homework but we do have assignment books. it is something that was started before i started at my school last year. my kids copy down their own homework along with the date in their assignment book. i put it on the board and they copy it. i do this before dear time at the end of the day and as they finish they grab a book and start their dear time. i go around and check each child's notebook and write notes when i need to. parents know to check this each night.

5. SaraFirst

SaraFirst Cohort

Aug 12, 2007

My students have basically the same type of homework each week, so I don't have them copy anything down. At the school where I student taught the first graders had agendas/assignments books and they copied down their homework first thing each morning.

6. graciegirl

graciegirl Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

My students do have assignment notebooks and I do have them copy down the homework each afternoon, even if it is the same every week. It is good copying and organizational practice!

We got laminated posters that look the same as the assignment notebook, so they just need to copy what I write in the same spaces, etc.

Last year I had several boys who had severe spacial problems, so I copied the homework into "my" assignment notebook. They sat at the table and copied it from my notebook instead of from the board.

7. BabyAngel

BabyAngel Rookie

Aug 12, 2007

From a special ed perspective:

Learning to copy homework assignments from the board is a great exercise and it is teaching them a skill that will be much needed later on in the upper grades. It's great to teach all students that skill as early as possible.

That said, many kids with learning differences have a very hard time transcribing from the board to paper. These kids need the practice, but their parents will have a very hard time figuring out what is written. IF you opt to have the children copy their homework themselves, it's a good idea to have copies of the assignment already written that you can stick into their folders/books so that Mom and Dad can figure out what needs to be done too.:)