Copies

Discussion in 'General Education' started by krysmorgsu, Sep 1, 2009.

1. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Sep 1, 2009

Just need to vent for a moment: I HATE that my building has one copier for teachers!!!! We have a copy person (who is wonderful), but she's off over the summer, too. Office staff try to run copies in their spare time over the summer. So I turned in a whole stack August 15. Today, not a thing of mine was done. Even better: someone who was "helping" the copy woman didn't know what they were doing and gave her the most recent things to copy...and took my stuff and other teachers' stuff, removed them from the copy pile, and just left them on the counter. So I'm back one day, and already I had to beg the copy woman to run off a few things for me, because of this. Grrr... I SOOO wanted to avoid asking her for favors as often this year. Yet here I go, asking on the first day! And of course we don't have a single copier that is teacher accessible!! Sorry, but I needed to vent.

3. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Sep 1, 2009

We're having copier problems too. Our department has a old copier, an old Gestetner, and a new Gestetner, and ALL of them are currently out of service. Yesterday I ran downstairs to the faculty secretary during nutrition break to beg for about 20 copies, and she had the service guy working on her machine! We hustled over to the admin building and she very kindly made them for me there, but this is a real pain.

4. TeaRoses4M&D

TeaRoses4M&D Rookie

Sep 1, 2009

That seems as though it would be frustrating, Krysmorgsu and Mrs. K.
    Krysmorgsu why doesn't your school have a teacher accessible copier? I haven't heard of that before.

5. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Sep 1, 2009

We have one copier. We run it ourselves. I get as many copies in a year as I need. Why hire a copy person to do something I can easily do myself?

6. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Sep 1, 2009

We have 1 copy machine for 21 classroom teachers (plus 12 or so others- Art, Speech, Media, Gifted, etc...).
    We run it ourselves and often stand in line in the morning.
    We are allowed 4 copies per student per day (which sucks).

Where I went to school and subbed, they had a Xerox building and the whole district sent things out to be copied. Plus they had an extra machine in the school. They had no limits. It depresses me to think about it- I would give both arms and maybe a leg to teach in that district....

7. krysmorgsu

krysmorgsu Cohort

Sep 2, 2009

Supposingly, teachers kept breaking them and overusing them. It just stinks, because it often breaks, and then we are all up the creek without a paddle. If it's down for a few days, they try to send stuff over to central office..but then ours usually gets fixed before we even get the stuff back. With 150 teachers, it's the stupidest thing I've ever seen. Even better, I learned over the summer that our copier is near the end of it's life...and of course they're not getting a new one until it completely goes kaput. That'll be fun: who knows how long it will take to get the new one?! Last year, it was pretty much down the first two weeks of school. Teachers were giving tests on overheads!! Some teachers have even invested in buying copiers for home...and I'm not talking about like mine, a printer/scanner/copier..They've bought the big deal kind, with toner and everything, for those times when the copier breaks! How sad is that?

8. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Sep 2, 2009

I guess we are the lucky ones. We have 3 copiers for general use and each wing has a copier that teachers can print to from their computer, as well as a laser printer in each of the 2 computer labs. I also have a copier in my room that is strictly for the use of ESE teachers (there are 2 of us). So, I know I am really spoiled in that respect.

9. Hartlepool

Hartlepool Rookie

Sep 2, 2009

First rule...when starting at a British comp...is to distract the photocopier-person then flip through the code book and thereafter use another departments code! Er, I don't do that sort of thing anymore by the way !:unsure:

10. scooter503

scooter503 Comrade

Sep 2, 2009

Last year we had three copiers for our building...we came back this year to one. They all worked, but the district decided we didn't have enough staff members to warrant all three. It's a real bummer, because our one is kept in the principal's office, so there are times we can't even get to it. And we make all our own copies.

11. fuzed_fizzion

fuzed_fizzion Comrade

Sep 2, 2009

We have four copiers in our building for about 35 staff. I copier for the office and 3 for teachers. We do get as many copies as we want during the year, but we try to limit that because it is so much of our consolidated budget. Our copiers are also our printers, so many teachers have learned how to send print/copy orders to the machine early in the day and then swing by the copier later to pick it up. Our copier/printer does the job as it comes up. It is really nice!