copies...

Discussion in 'General Education' started by ecteach, Oct 2, 2015.

1. ecteach

ecteach Devotee

Oct 2, 2015

How many do you get?
    Do you usually use all of them?
    How many students do you teach per day?

Just curious. This is a huge issue in our county. We get 9,000. But, that includes my IEPs for all 40 students on my caseload. Each IEP could be 25 pages, and then we have to give the parents a copy as well. I have already used 2,000 copies this year! I can't believe it. But, if you make 2 copies a day for 40 students, that's 80 a day....i.e. 400 a week! I also found out that if we copy front to back it still "charges" us for 2 copies!

3. mathmagic

mathmagic Enthusiast

Oct 2, 2015

Elementary, so slightly different, but there's no limits set for our staff. Occasionally, we'll look at the grade-by-grade numbers of copies as a staff, but it isn't something that comes up much at all.

4. BioAngel

BioAngel Science Teacher - Grades 3-6

Oct 2, 2015

No limits at my school, but sometimes we do run out of paper so that is the only time I have to be careful. I honestly do not understand how schools could put a number limit on paper. I would hope they would suggest ways to start uploading and electronically sharing work if that ever happened at my school.

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Oct 2, 2015

10,000 a semester. 28 students.

Honestly, it depends on how many reading passages I have to print off. Front/ back counts as 2 copies, so it's really only 5,000 sheets of paper. I'm usually pretty close to using them all though between reading passages, math games, newsletters, etc.

6. HistoryVA

HistoryVA Devotee

Oct 2, 2015

We get 1500 pages (vs pieces of paper) a month for 150-180 students. I never get close to using it (premade booklets made at a district copy shop + honors classes) so I let a friend use the majority of mine each month.

7. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Oct 2, 2015

At my previous schools, we never had a limit. At my new school, all teachers now have a code and we get 25,000 a year. I have no clue where I'm at but I don't make a ton of copies.

8. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Oct 2, 2015

We have no limit but I try to make 2-sided copies when I can to save paper.

9. gr3teacher

gr3teacher Phenom

Oct 2, 2015

No limit. At my first school, each teacher was given 2 boxes of paper with 10 reams each per year, so 10,000. Except the principal absolutely hated SPED kids and teachers, so we were given two boxes to share. All copies of IEPs came out of that pile. Let's see... 20 pages of IEP, times 10 copies for everybody required to get one, times 12 kids per caseload, x at least two meetings in the year for each kid...

Long story short, we ran out of paper mid-year. After I turned in my notice, I told administration they could either give me more paper or spend the rest of the year out of compliance.

10. geoteacher

geoteacher Habitué

Oct 2, 2015

No limit. I see 165 students per day, and things would be difficult if I had limits!

11. jadorelafrance

jadorelafrance Cohort

Oct 2, 2015

No limit. I really hope I never see that coming my way.

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 2, 2015

No limit.

13. yellowdaisies

yellowdaisies Fanatic

Oct 2, 2015

We have no limit. I definitely had a limit at my old school. It's wonderful to not have one.

We can also make color copies/prints - but are expected to be responsible and only use color for stuff that will be laminated/used a lot.

14. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 2, 2015

No limit. Thank goodness.

I've had a limit before, and I'm definitely a better teacher when I can print the materials that I need to print.

15. waterfall

waterfall Maven

Oct 2, 2015

Technically we get 5,000 per semester. One semester last year I actually ran out, and our secretary just added more for me in the system, so I guess they aren't really monitoring it. It's not like we can just not print out IEPs...

I imagine they'll get more strict in the future, especially since we have 1:1 i pads. I spend a lot of copies on materials for progress monitoring, and one of my reading programs requires me to make copies of all of the workbooks. If I really tried I could cut down more, but especially now that I'm in K-3 I often think it's really important for my kids to be working on the fine motor skills using pencil/paper and I think the tactile reinforcement helps them also.

16. ludoak

ludoak Rookie

Oct 2, 2015

4000 per year. We print and copy to the same machine, so 4000 is the total for both prints and copies. Front and back counts as two. I always run out.

17. TXforever

TXforever Companion

Oct 3, 2015

10,000 a year. It sounds like a lot, but when you are running off long reading passages, task card packets, parent letters, newsletters, etc it actually goes fast. I'm being extremely careful and hope I don't run out. When you do, you either have to suck it up and deal with it or ask the super for more. :rolleyes:

18. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Oct 3, 2015

We have no limit on color or black and white copies. I have my own laser printer in the room because the copier is in another location and is not convenient for those times during the day when I need immediate copies.

19. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Oct 3, 2015

No limits here. I'm sure the PTA would step in to help us if we did. There is no way they would let their children go without necessities.

20. otterpop

otterpop Aficionado

Oct 3, 2015

That's really nice. :)

21. Pashtun

Pashtun Fanatic

Oct 3, 2015

5,000 per semester. I can go through it in about 2 weeks

22. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 3, 2015

3500 a month.

23. lucybelle

lucybelle Connoisseur

Oct 3, 2015

This is my first year ever with... NO COPY LIMIT!!

OMG it's like the greatest thing ever!!!!

(But I am really persnickety about my copies. I only make 5-10 extras, I always double side stuff and when it's feasible I do two pages per sheet. I also have kids write down lots. I'm loving my unlimited copies but I'm not wasteful!)

24. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Oct 3, 2015

Yes, they're a good group.

25. Koriemo

Koriemo Comrade

Oct 3, 2015

We don't have a limit, but our school does keep track. At the end of each month, we are sent an email that lists the number of copies that we made that month and our rank among all the other teachers for amount of copies made (but we don't get to see each other's names). The email has a friendly message that says something like, "Feel free to make as many copies as you need to teach effectively, but please be conscious about not making unnecessary copies."

I think this method is effective because we are personally held accountable without being limited. My friend teaches Spanish and they had very outdated, useless, broken textbooks, so she was always in the top 5 for most copies made. She says admin never questioned her about all the copies, but last year the principal spoke to her and said he realized that her classes needed new textbooks and put funds towards getting them.

26. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Oct 3, 2015

No limits. No tracking of use.

27. MLB711

MLB711 Comrade

Oct 3, 2015

Same here

28. Joyful!

Joyful! Habitué

Oct 3, 2015

We are monitored heavily. Every copy must be submitted with a request form for approval. So, technically no limit, but definitely a limit and the feeling of being limited. Some teachers "cheat" by using the codes that we all know, but I think eventually the school will move to eliminating the ability to copy as an individual teacher. I have had the pleasure of no limits and I always copy the same amount, limited or not. :)

29. Peregrin5

Peregrin5 Maven

Oct 4, 2015

We have no limit. The only limit is our paper. We are given one case of paper each quarter (so about 5000 pieces of paper). We can buy more if we need it with our own money or our department money (if we have enough allocated for us).

I make a lot of copies and usually run out of a full case of paper before the quarter ends, but this year, I haven't, probably because I have one less section of science (which is my paper intensive class--my elective is done completely online).

30. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 4, 2015

Who has the time to go through these approvals?

31. cupcakequeen

cupcakequeen Comrade

Oct 5, 2015

We have no limit. About twice a year at a faculty meeting we will get a warning that we are running low on paper and have a presentation on ways to reduce copies, but that's about it. As far as I know we always manage to stretch our supplies through the year. I don't think we've ever run out, at least not in recent memory.

I try to be conservative with my copies. I use digital versions of things when I can and do a lot of computer activities, but some things you just have to print!

32. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Oct 5, 2015

No copy limit in my department.

33. Rox

Rox Cohort

Oct 6, 2015

I've worked in schools with limits, although I can't recall what the limit was. When it first happened, I decided to start using these covers where you can put the worksheet inside and write on the cover with dry erase markers. It greatly reduced the number of copies I had to make.

At one school, printer ink was provided, so instead of using the cheaper copying machine, everyone just used their printers, which ended up costing more :confused:

34. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 6, 2015

No limits.

35. Lisabobisa

Lisabobisa Companion

Oct 6, 2015

7500 and a printer in my room. They are no longer providing ink or service to the individual printers now because we can send our printing to the copier. I haven't figured out yet if it counts against me. But I just ask the secretary for me if I run out and she always helps me out.

36. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 6, 2015

How many do you get?
    1600 a month

Do you usually use all of them?
    It depends. I prefer making all my copies for the unit at the beginning, but I can't because it's too many copies at once. I can't get my entire allowance at once. :rolleyes:

How many students do you teach per day?
    I have 100 students for English. They have to share a class set of 40. My math class has 18, and I never give them copies. My reading class has 23, and I always struggle to get their copies.

37. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 6, 2015

No limit, but we are encouraged to save paper/copies where we can and we do drop some things because of wasting paper.

38. Mamacita

Mamacita Aficionado

Oct 7, 2015

Back in the middle school, the secondary teachers got two reams of paper each, to last the semester. This meant that teachers not good with paperless bought a lot of paper themselves. This never bothered me as I do most things online; I'm an almost paperless teacher. Now, at the college level, each student gets a printing code good for 500 copies, which is more than enough unless they're unlucky enough to get a professor who wants everything on paper. I have unlimited printing at this level but I seldom use much of it.

39. Backroads

Backroads Aficionado

Oct 7, 2015

I discovered that our copy limit continues doing its monthly reset thing throughout the summer, so I took advantage of that and made a whole bunch of my packets during that time. That helped me save copies.

I still think 3500 a month is quite generous.

As for using them, it depends on what I forsee. I rarely use all of them as a matter of course, but occasionally I'll get to the end of the month and make a bunch of copies for the upcoming month.

40. horned_Frog89

horned_Frog89 Companion

Oct 7, 2015

As I go through the year, I'm slowly learning that there is a HUGE communication problem in my school and that things are REALLY unorganized.

At the beginning of the year it took forever for us to get any paper. Finally, paper was delivered AFTER school started to our rooms. No one told us about any limits or anything.

We each got a box with 6 reams in it, so 3,000 pages. We're into our 3rd month of school and most teachers are running out of paper. We just found out that box was supposed to last us until Christmas.

41. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Connoisseur

Oct 8, 2015

At my last school when I was special ed I never ran out of copies. When I get moved to kinder I ran out all the time. (I don't remember the number) so I would just use the spec ed code. When I came to this school there was a limit and if I ran out our principal would give us another code to use. Then when we got new copiers they changed the policy and we no longer have a limit. Although when we run out of paper we run out. (never has happened) Towards the end of the year the principal will remind us to be very wise with our copies.