Copies

Discussion in 'General Education' started by czacza, Oct 14, 2012.

1. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2012

A post in the 'daily routine' thread got me thinking about making copies. We used to have a para in the office who would do copying part time, but it would sometimes take a week to get copies. If you needed something copied for re-teaching, you'd be a bit out of luck...or run class sets on the 'single copy only' machine or print out class sets on the computer lab printers (which was 'against the rules':rolleyes:) they didn't want teachers using the'big copier' because of breakdowns and jams (although PTO volunteers ran off flyers regularly). A few years ago it was decided we can all have access to the 'big copier'. It works well. I make copies on my prep time as needed. We don't have established copy limits, but we're asked to be mindful.
    How does it work in your school? Have budget cuts impacted your copying ability?

3. HistTchr

HistTchr Habitué

Oct 14, 2012

We don't have copy limits, but we do have to punch a code into the machine before we use it. Every staff member has his/her own code. A previous principal used to review how many copies teachers were making, but I don't think anyone even looks at that information anymore. (Before we had the codes, for a couple of years we had to put paper in the copy machine every time we made copies. Paper was rationed to departments, and we had to get reams from our department heads every time we needed more. Everyone hated that!) We have two machines in the building that teachers use. The one in the teacher's workroom is the "official" one for us to use. There is another one of the same size in the main office, but we're really only supposed to use that one if the other one is broken (which is basically every day). There are smaller machines in the guidance office and library, but those are only for smaller jobs.

We also have a district copy center where we can send large jobs to be done for us. You need to plan in advance if you want to use it, though, since there is a 2-3 day turnaround time.

4. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

Oct 14, 2012

Budgets have greatly impacted our copies.

Because of cuts we have fewer teachers. Therefore we have more students in each class. For the first time ever I have more students than I do seats. I make do.

Budget cuts determined we aren't getting anymore textbooks or workbooks.

We have new standards now. But no resources (books and workbooks) for those students. So we have to make copies of everything they need to take home. We're told that the kids can always use the internet as a reference. Yeah, that works well when a student doesn't have a computer at home.

And budget cuts have reduced the number of copies we can make by 33%. I have more students, more things TO copy and fewer copies.

It is going to get really ugly this coming week when everyone has to make new midterm exams.

5. mopar

mopar Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2012

We are asked to use a district copy center. They are supposed to have a 24 hour turn around, but they often get bogged down and take longer.

We do have two copy machines for staff and one in the office that we can use for reteaching material and other copies that weren't planned for.

No copy limits and we still have color paper, but we need special permission for copies to be made in color instead of black/white.

6. GoldenPoppy

GoldenPoppy Habitué

Oct 14, 2012

My teachers have no limits on access to plain paper, colored paper, card stock or the copy machine. They're asked to limit the amount of color copying that they do, but there are really no restrictions.

Most of the teachers have their own printers in their classrooms and our network is configured so that we can all print from our computers directly to the big copy machine downstairs.

7. paperlabs

paperlabs Rookie

Oct 14, 2012

I just started several weeks late at a school because they have cuts and new teachers have to wait for state approval because of the budget mess. Now, I have heard the office staff complain about all the ink used. Yet the district office sent a test they constructed for all teachers to give students with one of the four pages devoted to the test title printed in huge black letters! Then there were 2 sheets used for answers and the last page was blank! (i.e. 2 sheets, 4 pages, but only 3 pages were used!!!) I told students they might use the last page for scrap paper, but not a single student did, I guess because they were given way, way more than enough space to show work on the 3 answer pages. I think the 3 answer pages could easily have fit on one sheet (2 pages).

8. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2012

We have 2 aides that only make copies and no limits to how many copies we can make. We are very lucky!

9. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 14, 2012

We put in our copy code, and get a certain number of copies a year for free. After that, you have to pay 2 cents a copy. We are not charged for copies made on the big machines, but you have to make sets of at least 50 on those machines. There's a big push this year to save paper, as we went well over our paper budget last year.

10. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 14, 2012

This is how it works at our school, too.

11. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2012

We have 3 copiers (one on each floor and one for office use only) and one risograph. We make our own copies--no limits, codes or paper limits.

12. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Oct 14, 2012

We have a lady who does attendance and copies. We have to drop them off and we're told it could take a few days, but usually it's done in a day. We're not allowed to touch it. We don't have a limit, and I usually copy a lot. There's a huge push for nonfiction, so I'm always copying articles (I save them though in case I want them next year..if I don't have students write on them). I figure since I don't have textbooks, if I'm questioned, that's what I'd say. I also copy for my coteachers, so to cover my butt, I'm constantly writing "for my coteacher Mr......" on the slip so if for some reason they start documenting, it's not always for me. We have a copier in the library with a code and we get 200 copies a semester. I haven't tried it yet.

13. Emily Bronte

Emily Bronte Groupie

Oct 14, 2012

We have one copier for staff use. We have no limits or codes. In my previous district, they hired someone who did large volume copies. In the school where I student taught, there were codes that needed to be entered into the copier.

14. thirdgradebuzz

thirdgradebuzz Comrade

Oct 14, 2012

No limit, but we are asked to be mindful.

We have a box we can put folders of to-be-copied in for two of our teacher aides to do as they have time. I plan ahead and like to be prepared, so I usually have them copying a week ahead of time so I'll know it's ready when I need it.

15. chebrutta

chebrutta Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2012

We have four copiers and two risos. Every five teachers share a classroom printer.

We get one case of paper per quarter.

We have a lady exclusively for copying... but every time she does copies for me, they come out wrong somehow (not enough, way too much, copied backwards or upside down, etc) - so I make my own.

But every teacher at my school has the same planning period, so the line for a machine can get pretty long.

16. readingrules12

readingrules12 Aficionado

Oct 14, 2012

I have always been able to use the copier at the 3 schools I have worked at (2 public and 1 private). I couldn't imagine not allowing teachers to use a copier.

Each teacher has their own code. Currently we don't have a limit, but the former P did when copies started to get out of hand.

17. KinderCowgirl

KinderCowgirl Phenom

Oct 14, 2012

We have a limit and I don't copy a lot-really the only worksheets I copy are for homework. But it doesn't seem fair to me that everyone has the same limit. I have 10 more students than 2 other classes on my grade level. Just doing homework/newsletters, I am going to have to use more copies each week.

18. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Oct 14, 2012

Really? They charge you personally? That's so wrong.

19. MissCeliaB

MissCeliaB Aficionado

Oct 14, 2012

Well, it's either that or not let us make more than our limit. We get regular reports about how many copies we have used.

20. GemStone

GemStone Habitué

Oct 14, 2012

I grew up in a low-income school. I remember bringing my own notebook paper and copying questions from the board. It might be time to go back to that!

21. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Oct 14, 2012

We have a part time person that will make copies, but kindergarten does our own. We each take turns making the common copies for the week when we are on our "off" week for duty and then we make our own for our classrooms. The copy room person is the only one that can do the laminating though and she only does it once a week. She isn't always as careful as you might be with something you paid for yourself or spent a lot of time creating.

22. amakaye

amakaye Enthusiast

Oct 14, 2012

We had codes for a while (just to keep track), and when things were really tight a few years ago we were strongly encouraged to fit things onto half sheets, plan ahead and copy back-to-back, etc. We don't have any limits; we just all try not to be wasteful.

We now have two machines and they are hooked up to our network, so we can make copies directly from our computers. In other years we've had a volunteer come in one day a week to copy, but not recently.

23. platypusok

platypusok Companion

Oct 14, 2012

We have no limits on copies. Friday, I made a ton of copies for the upcoming week (nonfiction article of the week, 9 weeks tests, test review and test for the 7th graders, as well as some worksheets for geography).

We make our own copies. I always make mine the last day of the week and make all the copies I need for the next week. I do it during my planning period in the morning. I've taught a number of the other teachers how to interrupt jobs so that when they come in to make copies quickly they can.

24. terptoteacher

terptoteacher Connoisseur

Oct 14, 2012

We have two copiers, one riso, and quite a few laser ink jets stationed in the hallways. Don't have limits, but we have been asked not to use the ink jet for more than one or two pages.
    They didn't supply us with work books so we have to make copies...some do more than others. We are supposed to use the riso for more than 25 copies. I HATE getting to the copier to see that someone (PTA) is making 600 copies!

25. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2012

We make copies when we need to. I don't bother before school because the line is huge. I usually go during my planning. We have codes that we have to put in. There is no set "limit" but my admin is constantly going on and on about paper. We get "dinged" on walkthroughs if they see us using paper for something that we could have gotten away with just using student notebooks for. For example, we used to have the students using the friar model for our vocabulary center in reading. Now we have to have the model posted on the wall and students have to copy it into their notebooks themselves. Same goes for graphic oranizers. They want us to just show one copy and have students draw it in their notebooks, which I think is absurd since half of my students either take FOREVER to copy it and never get around to the writing, or copy it completely wrong.

For color printing, we have to send it to both the amins for "approval" and they will print it in a few days. I've heard it's basically not worth it, so I've never tried. I have a few small things in my room printed in color and I just print them at home.

26. kpa1b2

kpa1b2 Aficionado

Oct 14, 2012

We have codes, but no limits.

27. Linguist92021

Linguist92021 Phenom

Oct 14, 2012

We have access to a copier, no questions asked. The office has a color printer, and we just need to ask them to print something in color - we hardly do it, since it's not really necessary.

I hate wasting paper or ink, but often I don't know how many copies to make, because the number of students in the classes can vary greatly. (moderate turnover, and high moving them around).

We used to a have a Teacher Service center. Besides having all instructional material (textbooks, novels, worksbooks), they would make us anything that needed to be printed, such as poster, etc, even laminate it. It often took a week or more, so we could ask them to make large order of copies, but had to wait.
    Unfortunately, due to budget cuts it no longer exists (just found out). We can live without it, it was a luxury in my opinion, but a lot of people lost their jobs, which bad.

28. JustMe

JustMe Virtuoso

Oct 14, 2012

We make our own copies. No limits. No oversight.

29. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Oct 14, 2012

My last job we had ONE copier and we were NOT allowed to touch it. We had to order copies 2-3 days in advance and we sometimes got denied.

Now my school has 3 copiers and I can copy all I want. We have assigned aides to do orders for us, but I only have 11 kids so I usually just do it myself. I also have a color printer/scanner in my room. I'm really lucky. :)

30. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2012

We have a copy center on campus. I don't use it much because I don't really make a lot of copies in general. Besides that, there's a week turnaround, which is sort of a pain.

When I absolutely have to have copies of something, I usually just print multiple copies from the printer in my room. Bad, I know, but it gets the job done.

Most of the time, I just post handouts and whatnot on our class webpage. Students can download the files at their leisure.

31. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Oct 14, 2012

Most schools at my district give us a 4-digit copy # & we get I think 500 a month. A few schools actually still don't have copy #s, so of course we make as many copies as we want. Some schools actually make the teachers bring their own paper to put in the copier...not their own that they bought with their personal $, but paper rom their own classroom.

32. orangetea

orangetea Connoisseur

Oct 14, 2012

We have a copy center where we can drop off things that need to be copied. I only use the copy center when I need big packets done.

We also have copiers in every department center. There are no limits or codes.

33. Ima Teacher

Ima Teacher Maven

Oct 14, 2012

We have a teacher copier that we can run up to 40 copies at a time. There is a lady in the office who does copies with 24 hour notice.

I used to use very few copies. Now we have to put all assessments o line, and I use tons of copies because we don't have enough computers. Have to take them on paper and then put them online. It's a pain. We also have to use other resources than the textbook, and we have to get copies.

34. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Oct 14, 2012

We have unlimited access to 2 copiers (and a 3rd, "emergency" copier.)

The paper supply is in a room in the faculty lounge; we have unlimited access there as well.

35. karebear76

karebear76 Habitué

Oct 14, 2012

We have 2 teacher machines, and one 'dinosaur' in the office. Each teacher was given 5 boxes of paper for the year. It is up to us to ration it out. We don't have a code, however if we run out of paper then we have to figure it out.

Last year sp ed only got 2 boxes and I ran out :( I am so happy that I got the 5 boxes this year. Sp ed paperwork consumes a lot of paper.

36. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Oct 14, 2012

Wow!

Have you ever seen the size fonts and/or graphics used for first grade materials? They are huge, so it takes a LOT of paper to do anything!

At my last school, we were "provided" with 100 copies per month, on a copier that only worked half the time, and unlimited dittos, on ditto machines that didn't work well, either. We were given 0 reams of paper. Oh, and we didn't have a laminator, either.

At my current school, our monthly copy limit is 300 (when the copier isn't broken) - and we each have a code. Our old P gave us about 6 reams of paper in a year. We have a Title I clerk who runs the risograph (supposed to be more than 50, but we only need 40 for 1st, so why waste the paper - the new P agreed) and the laminator. Each grade has a day when the copies you want done on the risograph must be turned in - ours is Monday. The clerk is fantastic, but often has a 2-3 day turnaround, depending on what else admin has her doing. Same with laminating.

Imagine my surprise when, about 3 weeks ago, our new P had our custodians give each of us an entire case of paper!!! I love that woman! With CCSS, we really have nothing to use, and I'm pulling information/resources from multiple sources, so I need it!

We have a great teacher resource center, but it is understaffed, and they charge us for copies.

Last year, I purchased two printers - one laser and one inkjet - for my classroom (I also have two at home). That way, if I need something now (extensions for higher students, interventions that might help lower ones, etc.), I just print it out. The school does not provide ink or toner for either of the printers I purchased, but I'm sure glad I bought them, because I would be totally without a printer if I hadn't.

Oh, and this year (CCSS again), 1st graders are supposed to create and print documents on the computer. Hello? Is anyone providing more ink/toner/paper? I don't think so!

37. dgpiaffeteach

dgpiaffeteach Aficionado

Oct 14, 2012

We have codes but we don't have a limit. If we run out of paper we just go ask our secretary.

We have one teacher copier in the workroom. We also have copiers in the guidance office and the front office that we can use but most don't.

38. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Oct 14, 2012

We get one case/box of copy paper per semester (I think there are ten reams in a case?)

My principals will often reward teachers with a free ream of paper for the following reasons:
    1. Being on time to a staff meeting.
    2. Wearing your spirit t-shirt on Friday.
    3. If your class has the least amount of tardies in your grade level.

So far, I've never run out of paper by the end of the semester.

39. MissScrimmage

MissScrimmage Aficionado

Oct 14, 2012

How is a copier different from a risograph? I've never heard the term 'risograph' and when I googled it, it looks like a copier.

40. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Oct 14, 2012

A risograph is a high-volume, rapid copier

41. DrivingPigeon

DrivingPigeon Phenom

Oct 14, 2012

We have one copy machine with only plain, white paper. We have a code to enter, and are allowed 200 copies per month. We are supposed to send items to the district's print center 2 days ahead of time. There is a limit of 12 pages per day.

I am not good at planning ahead, so I usually end up scanning the items and printing them on my printer.