Copies

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by LadyStark, Jun 14, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. LadyStark

LadyStark Rookie

Jun 14, 2012

This may have been discussed in another thread but I'm just curious to hear feedback from many of you on the procedure for making copies at your school.
    At my school we are not allowed to make our own copies. The secretary/bus driver is the only person at the school allowed to make copies. We have to submit what we want copies of no less than 24 hours in advance and this person has authority to shrink things and/or only make a class set when you need one for every student in your classes.
    I am wondering if anything like this goes on your schools?

3. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2012

We have 2 copiers and one risograph for our use--one on each floor of the school. We can make our own copies--no codes, no paper allotment.

4. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2012

That is kinda strange. I prefer not to rely on other people to make copies for me. I have rarely even used parents to make copies. It is nice sometimes when I am in a bind and need them right now. But we have to make our own copies that is for sure. 24 hours ahead of time, that humorous.

5. waterfall

waterfall Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2012

I would hate that! I think it would be faster to just get it done myself, and I'm sure the secretary doesn't appreciate doing everyone's copying either! We had numbers we were supposed to type in so that they could keep track and we kept hearing about limits, but as far as I know they never imposed any. The main problem in my building was that out of 3 copiers, at least 2 of them were broken at all times, and many times all 3 were broken. You had to plan ahead or you ran a high chance of being screwed b/c you couldn't copy or print whatever you wanted for that same day.

6. LadyStark

LadyStark Rookie

Jun 14, 2012

It is completely maddening to not have control over this aspect of teaching. Sadly, I'm convinced she enjoys this power over the teachers.

7. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jun 14, 2012

We have one copier for the school. We do make our own copies, and we get something like 2500 copies a month (I'm not sure on the exact number because I've never used all my copies).

8. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 14, 2012

What if you wake up sick and need to make copies of worksheets to leave for a sub? That'd be less than 24 hours notice, so would they make an exception? :rolleyes:

9. chemteach55

chemteach55 Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2012

We have unlimited copies. I can send my copies straight from my laptop to our copier and then pick them up whenever is convenient.

10. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Maven

Jun 14, 2012

As long as the copy machine is working and there is paper I can make my own copies! If not I have to get creative or ask to use a non-teacher copier.

11. LadyStark

LadyStark Rookie

Jun 14, 2012

This sounds amazing. I'm super jealous!!!

12. ku_alum

ku_alum Aficionado

Jun 14, 2012

We can make copies any time, any amount, no code, no limits.

Some people even use it for non-school stuff. That really irritates me. And, I usually can't help but make a snarky comment when I see someone doing that.

13. LadyStark

LadyStark Rookie

Jun 14, 2012

There aren't any exceptions :mad: If we wake up sick, it's basically book work. No copies unless they are already sitting on my desk from earlier.

14. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2012

The only limit we have is on paper. We have to take whatever paper we are going to use with us when we copy. When we run out of paper, no more copies. We do paper drives and the such throughout the year because we are limited to the amount we get each year. Some teachers buy their own, some just get good donations, others just ration.

15. AZMrs.S

AZMrs.S Cohort

Jun 14, 2012

We don't have any limits and we make our own. I'm glad that we don't have those kind of restrictions. I feel badly for you OP

16. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jun 14, 2012

We also have to use our own paper. Once we run out...well, we've gotta figure something out!

17. LadyStark

LadyStark Rookie

Jun 14, 2012

Just imagine discovering something awesome that you would like to do with your students for the next days' lesson and then realizing you will have to wait a whole other day for your copies so you have to postpone.

18. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Jun 14, 2012

This is how things work at my school, too. :)

At my previous school, it was much like what the OP described. We had to submit our copies 24 hours in advance, but often the department secretary would have things done before that. We were allowed to make our own copies, but only in the 30 minutes before school and we had to use a special code. With that code, we were limited to 2000 copies a year. If we went through the secretary, we had unlimited copies.

19. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2012

We can leave our copies in a box to be copied by the office secretaries or we can run our own. No limit.

20. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2012

There's been a different system at each school I've worked at. At my current school we have unlimited black and white copies and no code, but we have a limited number and a code for the color copier. We can do our own copies, but we also had an aide in our grade level this year that did most of the copying for us. That job was cut for next year, so teachers will have to do it all or find parents to help.

At my school in Idaho, we had an unlimited amount and could make copies ourself at the school. But we also had a copy center we could send things to if we had advance notice. This was for the whole district, so you usually needed a weeks notice, but she could sometimes do jobs really quick if she wasn't busy.

At my first school in Hawaii, you could make copies yourself, but there was a set limit and you had to use a code. However, after a few months they decided to try a copy center in the school. We could still use a very limited number of copies ourself, but mostly everything else had to be sent to the copy person. I think it was 24 or 48 hours ahead of time that it had to be turned in.

21. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2012

We have to submit our copy requests three days in advance. The three days doesn't include the day you drop off your request or the day you pick up your copies. If you want copies on Friday, you have to submit the request on Monday. Ridonkulous. The only nice part of this arrangement is that there aren't any big limits on paper. They encourage class sets rather than papers for individual students, but you can get around that if you have an admin sign off on your copy request.

We have other copiers available for our own use at any time, as long as they aren't broken. If we use those, we also have to use our own paper supply. Each teacher is given a box of paper at the beginning of the year, so that's what you have to use if you want to make your own copies. Once you run out, you're out of luck unless you're willing to either buy your own paper or go through the copy guy.

22. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2012

We do also have a colour copier in the office, but that is for office use only. Our other copiers and all of our printers are black ink only.

23. traveler

traveler Comrade

Jun 14, 2012

We are all given one ream of paper a week which we load into the copier a little at a time when we need it. We do our own copying.

24. Mrs. K.

Mrs. K. Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2012

No copy limits per se, but each department buys its own paper. We've already heard that next year we may have to ration it, but I'm very good at getting a lot of information on a very small piece of paper! We can send things down to the faculty secretary, but she only works three hours a day, so you have to get things to her in a timely manner. She's very nice and very fast. We have a small copier (a crappy one) for our department, plus a Gestetner that we're supposed to use for more than 20 copies. Last year someone donated a big old laser printer that is networked for my department, and it's been a lifesaver.

25. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2012

I wish we still got that much paper. We get basically 2 boxes per year. And that might be reduced in this next coming year.

26. tchr4evr

tchr4evr Companion

Jun 14, 2012

We have a rizzo machine we can use on our own with our own paper, but only for more than 50 copies. I never get to use that because three of my five classes have only 20 kids. (Theatre/AP) We have a limit of 1000 a month, made by the secretary. We can give her more paper if we want, but they count double-sided copies as 2 pages. They also keep track of how much we print on our printers, and our printers will lock down after so many, and we only get two ink cartridges a year (I share a printer with one other teacher, and the kids use it to print as well). I always run out of copies. One AP test is 26 pages long. I make a class set, I'm half out of copies. I run two of those, and I'm done for the month. It's really hard sometimes.

27. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2012

In the early days of my school, 25 years ago, there was one person in charge of making copies. Betty was fabulous; she would always make time for anyone in a bind.

But for the past 20 years or so, we've been doing it ourselves. There's no limit of any sort on copies; no one keeps track of who runs off what. We're asked not to waste paper, and it's on the honor system.

We have 2 machines that are running pretty much all day long, plus access to 2 others in a pinch. Paper is available in white and about 6 colors.

28. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 14, 2012

We make our own copies, we have two good machines and a rizzo/duplo something or other. We are given a case of paper per semester, but it also is used for our classroom printers. We have a limit per quarter, but I'm not sure what it is. I've never run out, but a few others have.

29. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2012

Go buy more.

30. Sarge

Sarge Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2012

They make color copiers? Like, all the colors?

31. FourSquare

FourSquare Fanatic

Jun 14, 2012

At my current school we need to order copies like the OP. 24-48 hours in advance. Black and white only. We don't even have a color copier. If the one B&W copier breaks, we're screwed.

2 more hours at this school! :woot:

32. callmebob

callmebob Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2012

classroom printer, thats a dream.

33. onestepcloser

onestepcloser Companion

Jun 14, 2012

No, thank goodness - that would drive me insane in the membrane (insane in the brain). Especially the minimum 24 hours in advance - I try to plan ahead but sometimes I need to make extra copies the day of or I end up changing gears, especially when I'm teaching a course that is new to me. I'd end up having to go out to Staples to copy!

34. iteachbx

iteachbx Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2012

I have to give my copy folder to my AP in the morning and then I usually get the copies that afternoon. Occasionally if I'm in a bind I can copy something in my AP's office or bring it to the copy room and ask for a favor. The school aides make the copies. If it's something I'm going to need in the morning I need to have it prepared the day before, because it's hard to get them during the day, they just leave the folder in my mailbox so I have to pick them up at lunch. (Not allowed to send kids to the mailboxes.) Sometimes they're not done by lunch and I don't have my copies for the afternoon which is annoying. In the beginning of the year I was good about getting most of my copies for the week made on Monday. Now I'm kind of just winging it.

35. msmullenjr

msmullenjr Devotee

Jun 14, 2012

We received a technology grant so last year we all got new laptops that mounted to a full monitor and keyboard set up. Half way through the year we all got our lcd projectors mounted to the ceiling and, I just got a text from our tech guy and he said that he installed wireless throughout the whole school. We are very lucky. We still have two more years of our class size reduction grant, 20 kids primary and 25 upper grade.:D

36. mkbren88

mkbren88 Cohort

Jun 14, 2012

At my old school, we did our own copies since there were only 10-11 teachers. It was pretty nice, but it could get bogged down when someone was making a million copies.

At my new school, there is one copier for copies under 21 and then two other machines (I forget what she called them) that are for the big copy jobs. She didn't mention if someone in the office does the copying for you though, so I am not sure.

37. pwhatley

pwhatley Maven

Jun 14, 2012

We are allotted 300 copies per month on the "teacher" copier. Each grade level has a day on which our Title I clerk makes "grade level" copies - but only if you need 40 or more. Unfortunately, several of our grade levels had less than 40 students last year. I have fallen in love with ebooks and my personal laser printer because more often than not I just print out what I need. Our allowed copies don't cover my weekly newsletter, much less the ton of paper that first graders go through (and no, they aren't doing worksheets!). Oh, and I received 8 reams of paper last year.

38. FarFromHome

FarFromHome Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2012

Yes, we get 1,500 color copies a year. I didn't really use it at all.

39. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2012

We have 2 copiers. We are allotted 6 copies per student per day. Front/back counts as 2. It may sound nice, but my science tests are usually 5 pages. I am departmentalized, so I have 3 classes, so I am usually the equivalent of 15 copies per student on those days.

Where I went to school and later subbed, they had a Xerox room. Where I student taught did, too. You filled a form out and put it in the school mail. There is a full time copy person. There were copiers in each building for 'emergencies' as well. To my knowledge, copies at both places are unlimited.

40. giraffe326

giraffe326 Virtuoso

Jun 14, 2012

Also, no color copier at my school. We don't even have a color printer on campus!

If you want colored paper, you buy your own!

41. perplexed

perplexed Comrade

Jun 14, 2012

We can do them ourselves or our aide can do them. She usually takes a day. We have two machines and no limit. I love the unlimited amount of colored paper too. My school kills a lot of trees which is ironic since they're all about preserving mother nature (it's a school for Native American students). I am going to a new school next year, so I hope I can still freely make copies, although I don't make that many.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.