Coolest Parent EOY Gift

Discussion in 'Debate & Marathon Threads Archive' started by TeacherShelly, Jun 13, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 13, 2010

My class was delightful this year - truly - including a troupe of extremely supportive and generous parents. But this one still surprised me (in a good way):

End of year gift... jar of homemade mango-limeade mix; jar of homemade blueberry-limeade mix; bottle of Patron Silver tequila; tiny Grand Marnier bottle; recipe for mango-lime margaritas and blueberry-lime margaritas.

Isn't that awesome?

3. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jun 13, 2010

Definitely nice! Did they bring that to school?? LOL

4. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 13, 2010

Yeah, with the Silver at the bottom of the bag, topped by the jars of fruit concentrate.

5. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2010

That's awesome!! Haha
    My friend got a bottle of wine from one of the kid's grandparents. When she took it out of the bag, she saw the gift tag that was actually to him, the grandparent! He got caught regifting the wine, lol.

6. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 13, 2010

What a fun gift!

7. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

Jun 13, 2010

Wow -- that's a VERY thoughtful gift!

8. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 13, 2010

Right !? So thoughtful and just made me laugh. She's last year's PTA prez, too :)

9. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 13, 2010

OMG, that sounds awesome! Will you share the recipes?? :D

10. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Jun 13, 2010

Heck, forget the recipes...will you share the tequila?? :D

11. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 13, 2010

Haha, I don't know the recipes... just 1 part of the fruit concentrate, 1 1/2 parts Silver, 1 part water, splash of Grand Marnier. Mmmmm!!!!

12. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 14, 2010

Um.... isn't that just the tiniest bit illegal?????

13. Teaching Grace

Teaching Grace Connoisseur

Jun 14, 2010

That's so awesome! I think my parents would faint if they ever even considered bring alcohol to a teacher. Although many of the teachers in other grade levels have Friday night "get-togethers" after school where they go out to drink and relax.

14. dogs&teaching

dogs&teaching Comrade

Jun 14, 2010

That's awesome. I doubt I would ever see any of my parents giving me alcohol, but the homemade limeade mixes sound delicious enough.

15. MrsKP

MrsKP Companion

Jun 14, 2010

A student at my mom's school brought his teacher a bottle of wine for teacher appreciation day a few years ago. The child was in third grade and had recently moved from the middle east...

the school SUSPENDED the child. It was so sad.. people get so caught up in rules they forget common sense.

16. ecsmom

ecsmom Habitué

Jun 14, 2010

That is sad. I am happy to receive a box of chocolates or a candle. :) Enjoy your gift!

17. loves2teach

loves2teach Enthusiast

Jun 14, 2010

I had a parent who sent in a $25 GC to Victoria Secret- I think they were thinking perfume/clothes instead of lingerie (or at least I hope that is what they were thinking).

18. TeacherNY

TeacherNY Phenom

Jun 15, 2010

That sounds like a great gift! I got a bottle of wine for Christmas one year from some parents but they brought the gifts and I took the wine right to my car for safe keeping!

19. knitter63

knitter63 Groupie

Jun 15, 2010

Probably no more illegal than seeing a group of teachers at a local bar/grille during lunch hour drinking a beer! :eek:
    (yeah, I've seen it before!)

20. TeacherShelly

TeacherShelly Aficionado

Jun 15, 2010

So the blackberry limeade margarita is even better than the mango one! To clarify, the mom brought me the gift after school let out on the last day. I still think she rocks!

21. MissJill

MissJill Cohort

Jun 15, 2010

I'm so jealous! They sound delicious!

22. Kat53

Kat53 Devotee

Jun 15, 2010

And Patron is a really expensive brand so she double rocks!

23. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Jun 15, 2010

OMG!!! As a P, it takes a lot to get my feathers ruffled. The calmer I stay, the calmer everyone else stays. However, I would have come unglued at this one!!!!

Did she deliver the gift to your classroom? Was the alcohol on campus?

Please tell me I'm wrong, I may be jumping the gun. If she delivered it to your home, then that's still inappropriate in my book, but not illegal.

If she delivered it to school, however........:eek:

24. Jem

Jem Aficionado

Jun 16, 2010

I didn't realize this would be such an issue. It's not like it was offered to the students...

We had an end of the year dinner party at our school, and the director had to gently inform the parents that jello shots and wine were not appropriate potluck items. Haha.

25. WestCoast Teach

WestCoast Teach Rookie

Jun 16, 2010

I agree with Jem. I'm not sure I see the danger or issue in offering this as a gift. I could see it being a problem if the gift wasn't taken home to enjoy responsibly away from school but becoming a teacher doesn't mean we can't enjoy a glass of wine now and again. (Again, I stress responsibly and away from the school environment)

26. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Jun 16, 2010

Well the way I see it (and I'm really not a total prude :) but I guess I can be a stick in the mud sometimes) but:

alcohol + school campus = wrong
    alcohol + parent + child's teacher = also wrong

I don't remember what grade you teach but this woman's child would have benefited a great deal more from a gift that the child could have been proud of to give you, not an exchange of alcohol among adults, on school grounds. What kind of example did that set for him/her? You are her child's teacher.

27. mom2ohc

mom2ohc Habitué

Jun 16, 2010

love it! Although some might think it is inappropriate, I think it is great! You must have some personal connection to the parent? Once a parent gave me a bottle wine that her family made :) mmmm

28. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

Jun 16, 2010

I got a bottle of margarita mix with alcohol for an end of the year gift too. All of our grade level did, actually. They called us down to the office and gave it to us right before we left for the day. It was AWESOME! haha, but does make you feel a little uncomfortable about that even being at school. Both margaritas sound delish!

29. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

Jun 16, 2010

I think the gift was given with good intentions and received the same way. Enjoy!

30. mom2sands

mom2sands Comrade

Jun 17, 2010

I cannot imagine what my reaction would be to a gift like that! I personally don't think that the alcohol portion of the gift is appropriate on school property. But, what do you do if offered such a gift? I just don't know.....There are signs outside of our school that say drug-free zone, so I just can't imagine a parent having the nerve to bring such a thing on school property!

31. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jun 17, 2010

I feel ridiculous asking... is alcohol a drug?

32. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jun 17, 2010

Yes.

33. Lynnnn725

Lynnnn725 Connoisseur

Jun 17, 2010

eek! I won a margarita mix set at a BOY faculty meeting raffle drawing in our school library.

34. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 17, 2010

Caffeine is a drug too...

35. FLeducator

FLeducator Rookie

Jun 17, 2010

I agree. Enjoy :)

36. TiffanyL

TiffanyL Cohort

Jun 17, 2010

You should immediately tell your principal and he/she can handle it from there. That way, it won't come back to bite you. Alcohol should not be on a school campus, in my opinion.

If a teacher told me about such an incident, I would first seek to maintain the relationship between parent and teacher (so teacher did not appear to have tattled). So I would simply call and state that teacher was raving about the nice gesture, however, please understand that our school policy is _______________________.

I would then follow up with a memo to all families stressing the importance of ethical behavior on campus (but in a tactful way, of course) and the prohibition of alcohol, tobacco and/or controlled substances.

Finally, I'd send an email off to my superintendents letting them know of the occurrence and that it had been handled. That way, if this came to bite us in the behind (due to another parent complaining, district office finding out, etc.), I would have covered our bases.

37. PCdiva

PCdiva Connoisseur

Jun 17, 2010

I think location has to come in to play here, what one state or community may feel is inappropriate may be business as usual in another.

38. monsieurteacher

monsieurteacher Aficionado

Jun 17, 2010

Agreed.

I think that the steps you have suggested, Tiffany are important for where you are. I feel they would be overkill in my region.

39. Teacher Chele

Teacher Chele Habitué

Jun 17, 2010

I agree. It sounds like the parent bought you a very thoughtful gift and that they handled it in a wonderful way.

40. **Mrs.A**

**Mrs.A** Comrade

Jun 17, 2010

I agree. I don't see the big deal as long as the teacher didn't open the bottle and enjoy some at school!! :) It was a gift and I would have happily accepted it!!

41. kimrandy1

kimrandy1 Enthusiast

Jun 17, 2010

Our administrators would NOT be happy. We cannot even have bottles of alcohol in our car if they are on school grounds because it is a drug free school zone. So, no stopping at the liquor store to stock up for the happy hour (even if the happy hour occurs at your house!) on the way to school and leaving the wine in the car.

I would have accepted it (I feel that turning down a gift is harmful to the relationship between teacher/school and parent), and then reported it to the principal. And I hope my P would handle it as gracefully as Tiffany would.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.