"Cool" Music for Parties

Discussion in 'General Education' started by TampaTeacher, Feb 9, 2008.

1. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Feb 9, 2008

I used to be really cool. I promise. I can show you pictures of myself in my flannel-clad glory from college. Does it get any cooler than purple-ish hair and burgundy lipstick? Converse All-Stars and band T-Shirts? I think not.;)

But now I'm 32, still playing the same alt-rock I listened to in my teens/early twenties, and I don't know what the heck my students would like to listen to at an upcoming class party.

They are into hip hop. I like some hip hop - However, I wouldn't dream of playing much of it for 10-year-olds.

Can anybody recommend popular songs that aren't offensive: no booty, no blunts, no profanity, no violent messages. I don't mean to generalize the entire genre, I just want to weed (he he he) out the stuff that's too grown up for little guys.

Oh, and I'd prefer to play popular music, rather than music made for kids.

3. smalltowngal

smalltowngal Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2008

You can get those Kid Bopz CDs that have popular songs cleaned up and sung by kids. Its really cute!

4. cmw

cmw Groupie

Feb 9, 2008

I teach 4th & 5th music and here's what my kids like...
    Dance songs - Electric slide, Cha Cha Slide, Cupid shuffle, Cleveland Shuffle, Chicken Noodle Soup (all have good lyrics & dances are popular - you can check them out on our tube).

Rihanna, Alicia Keys, Chris Brown, High School Musical songs - mostly good clean lyrics

I also have the KIDZ bop cds that have a lot of popular songs with the artists (and kids singing). They replace words & rework lyrics, but sound just like the original songs. I also have a Kids Rap'n Hits CD that has Fergie, Gwen Stefani, Ciara.

I also let them bring in their own music on music choice days about once a quarter. We talk about how lyrics have to be appropriate which means no cursing and other langauge that we wouldn't want grandma to hear. ;) It's really tough with the music out there b-c most has inappropriate stuff in it. Many students don't realize that the clean version just eliminates cussing, not things like grinding, booty poppin' & calling slang names. Good Luck! :D

5. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Feb 9, 2008

Thanks! I just went on itunes and downloaded the latest Kidz Bop CD. Very cute!

It's pretty weird, though. They had the song "Lips of an Angel" on another Kidz CD. I actually like the song - but it's creepy when little kids are singing it. It's about a guy sneaking a telephone conversation with his ex-girlfriend while his current girlfriend is in the next room. They're whispering and being all sneaky, talking about their respective partners, and he says, "You make it hard to be faithful/ with the lips of an angle" Ewwww.

But still, I really like the CD I bought and am grateful for the tips!

6. Caesar753

Caesar753 Multitudinous

Feb 9, 2008

It's not hip-hop, but my kids love listening to Stevie Wonder's Greatest Hits. I also play a lot of music with fun beats, like Chuntti, flamenco, reggae, and anything with a Cuban feel.

7. DizneeTeachR

DizneeTeachR Virtuoso

Feb 9, 2008

My goddaughter had one of these about 3 years ago & I can't remember the song, but it was something where it was still "kids are singing this?!" But she sang along with it.

Also don't forget some of the disney classics...not hip hop, but some of the songs were on radio or they would know them from different movies.
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_c...-alias=popular&field-keywords=disney+classics

8. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2008

My kids love Motown. And so do I.
    They probably don't mind listening to older songs they know and like, such as Motown stuff. If you make a CD mixed with dance songs like Electric Slide, Cupid Shuffle, clean popular music (Ciara, Chris Brown, Rhianna) and oldies but goodies (Motown) you should be able to have enough music to last the duration of your party.

9. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Feb 9, 2008

My kids love the High School Musical soundtracks. Even the boys will start singing along.

10. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Feb 9, 2008

My kids like High School Musical, too! And Hannah Montana. I just heard her song on the radio yesterday, I was surprised.

11. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Feb 9, 2008

Cheery, my kids love Motown, too!

12. iSaint

iSaint Rookie

Feb 9, 2008

You'll be surprised how much the kids like the old school. Just mix it up a bit.

13. Major

Major Connoisseur

Feb 9, 2008

I think Motown would work ..........:):)

14. Mrs. R.

Mrs. R. Connoisseur

Feb 9, 2008

Radio Disney puts out CDs, too, with the original artists, not the creepy kids singing. They are called Radio Jams or something like that. I hear them advertised on Radio Disney a lot.

15. cMcD

cMcD Groupie

Feb 9, 2008

Try some classics. I bought the Charlie Brown Christmas CD and my kids loved it! Most of the CD is instrumental. They begged for it. I've also played oldies, and they've loved it. I've found that kids are very easy to please.

16. cheeryteacher

cheeryteacher Enthusiast

Feb 10, 2008

I think if you play anything upbeat that they can dance to they would like it. My 2nd graders loved Duke Ellington. Take the A Train was a standard in that class.

17. kcjo13

kcjo13 Phenom

Feb 10, 2008

Anything classic 50's and 60's is fun-they know a lot more than you think. Wooly Bully, Tequila, Yakkity Yak, that kind of thing. They love to sing along.

70's disco is fun too-most is clean.

My biggest surprise this year that my kids love has been Big Band classics-they love In The Mood. The boys love Johnny Cash, and I have a CD called Road King Classics-they love the old school country. Around here, a lot of the kids also like country music, which is generally cleaner than the pop or rock.

18. sundrop

sundrop Cohort

Feb 10, 2008

If you have a computer available with speakers, you can actually play Radio Disney online. I do this sometimes during computer class with my students. There are lots of other stations online too.

19. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Feb 10, 2008

*Sigh*Must be nice to be able to use music with rewards. I teach in North Carolina and did the same until recently. DPI informed my school that, unless we had purchased rebroadcast rights, we could not play songs in the classroom as it is a copyright violation, and could cause us to forfeit a large vital grant.

20. MrL

MrL Companion

Feb 10, 2008

Most of my middle school students who talk to me about music listen to Dragonforce, Lordi, Dethklok, All That Remains, Slipknot, ...I doubt that'd be helpful.:D

But, you know, most kids have started to know the songs on Guitar Hero 2 & 3. You could start there.

21. bandnerdtx

bandnerdtx Aficionado

Feb 11, 2008

I don't think your DPI is correct in saying that. DJs don't have to get approval before playing a song at a party.

The copyright law only applies if you are creating some sort of tangible product (a powerpoint, a video, etc.), and even then, the music *can* be used, it's just limited as to how much is used.

22. cmw

cmw Groupie

Feb 11, 2008

That is awful!!!! If a teacher already bought the CD or MP3 track they should be able to listen to it where ever....even in school.
    I guess the same issue is out there though with Disney though. :hugs: I do not know what I would do without the hundreds of songs I use.

23. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Feb 11, 2008

Actually, I hate to be a wet blanket so don't read this if you do not want to know, but Section 110(1) of US Copyright Law is pretty clear that in playing copyrighted music "The activity must be a teaching activity and not recreation or entertainment;"

It stinks.

By the way, professional DJ's generally have to purchase pricey performance licenses, like a radio station, just not on that scale, to perform their music legally.

24. bcblue

bcblue Comrade

Feb 12, 2008

I like to play Beach Boys and Elvis, too.

. . .And sometimes soundtracks, depending on the movie.

25. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Feb 12, 2008

Thanks for all the good tips! We had big, fat standardized testing today (FCAT), and to celebrate finishing today's work, we listened to the Kidz Bops CD's some of you recommended. The kids loved it. I'm moving on to Motown next - perfect for Black History Month! :)

The FCC can come and get me. Good thing they didn't stop by the day before winter break, when we watched "Polar Express." That was probably criminal behavior, too.

26. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Feb 12, 2008

The reason we are so strict is that we have a giant technology grant that has completely turned my school around. Grant administrators told us that even one copyright media violation would forfeit our grant, and we could be forced to pay it back, which at this point is impossible!

If you choose to go ahead with such activities that is up to you. Good luck with it. I would definitely avoid anything owned by Disney. The Mouse has a deserved nasty rep for suing teachers.

It isn't the FCC you have to worry about. It is Disney, and Paramount and United Artists, and MGM, and all those guys.

27. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Feb 13, 2008

Yeah, I've heard Mickey can be pretty nasty. That's so disappointing to me. I'm a Floridian who just loves the parks and the movies. As wealthy a company as Disney is, it's sad they go after teachers who want to reward children with a movie day. Sheesh, it's not like we're charging admission.

I'm not saying I don't think they should have the right to forbid it. I'm just saying it would be NICE to give teachers a break - and great PR for the company.

When I rule Disney, I promise to announce that schools can use the films for educational purposes, no problem. No need for letters of permission. No charge to the schools.:soapbox:

28. PowerTeacher

PowerTeacher Comrade

Feb 14, 2008

I hereby vote for TampaTeacher as President and Ruler of Disney!

29. Silmarienne

Silmarienne Cohort

Feb 15, 2008

Everyone loves Bob Marley! :2up:

:lol: Wow, not the way I remember it!

Kids like "novelty" songs as well. i.e., Tequila, Convoy, Who Let the Dogs Out, I Like To Move It Move It, etc.

I agree with the people who find Kidz Bop wierd. :down:

30. TampaTeacher

TampaTeacher Comrade

Feb 15, 2008

Wooo Hoooo!!! Do I get the big, fat salary, too?!:woot:

31. Ms.Jasztal

Ms.Jasztal Maven

Feb 15, 2008

I play oldies, High School Musical, and some Christian that does not refer to religious issues much (just has a positive message!). My kids are fine with the oldies! They know inside, I'm sure, I am not resorting to rap. Plus not all my students like rap, I'm sure.