Cooking

Discussion in 'Teacher Time Out Archives' started by AMK, Nov 20, 2005.

1. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 20, 2005

Anyone start cooking for Thanksgiving? We went to the supermarket yesterday and it was so crowded. Usually Saturday's are not that busy.
    This morning I started baking pumpkin bread. I am going to bring some to the teachers tomorrow to say thank you (my 1st year in the school) b/c everyone has been so helpful.

3. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2005

AMK, thanks for the pumpkin bread idea. I will now be making that today. Having my huge family coming........any other ideas on what I can make ahead of time???? Open to any suggestions on how to make Thanksgiving day easier and less running around in the kitchen for me. So, what else should I make ahead of time......like today?????

4. Ali

Ali Companion

Nov 20, 2005

Cutting bread for stuffing is time consuming on the day of the feast. Cut it up ahead of time and add your spices, bag it and it will be ready for Thursday!

5. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2005

I need to find a good stuffing recipe........do you have on you would like to share???

6. Ali

Ali Companion

Nov 20, 2005

I don't have a "real" recipe. I just cut up some bread, throw in some season salt, parsley, poultry seasoning, a few eggs, cooked onions, & milk. I combine until it smells right! Gee, did that help?:confused:

7. hatima

hatima Devotee

Nov 20, 2005

For our stuffing we use bread crumbs (or croutons), a little chicken stock (homemade stock), cut up gizzards and hearts, boiled eggs. Then we mix it all up. We put some of it in the Turkey and save the rest.

8. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Nov 20, 2005

Here's my grandma's recipe, I've never tried it because I'm afraid I'll mess it up, but it's REALLY good: Take a loaf of french bread, tear into pieces, place into bowl and pour milk over it just so the bread is moist, not too much. Take one large onion chopped and some oil and brown onion until golden brown, put parsley in (it will take alot of parsley) with onion and take off stove. Pour over bread. Salt and pepper to taste and mix it well. Place in grease pan and place in oven at 350 for about 1 hour. During baking take fork and stir it so it will be brown all over. Don't over bake it, it may just take 45 minutes. (I remember that the pan would be lined in aluminum foil and the foil would be wrapped up over the stuffing. Hope this helps, now that I look back over the recipe she wrote me, it seems kind of sketchy. Sorry so long!

9. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Nov 20, 2005

I just spent 1 1/2 hours and $234. at the grocery store, so I am too tired to think about cooking! Pizza is sounding better and better. I always make fudge for Thanksgiving (by request of my children), so I will probably make that later today.
    I don't do much of the cooking ahead of time, except for pies on Wednesday, but I do get all of the clutter out of the kitchen and make sure everything is clean and ready to go on Thursday.
    Thanksgiving is also my daughter's birthday, so this will be a great year!

10. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 20, 2005

I am going to work on cleaning Monday and Tuesday. Then on Wednesday, I will be making pies, my pink cloud salad, and doing a bunch of cleaning/chopping vegetables.

Oh, I like to add chopped up celery to my stuffing!

11. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2005

Glenda, what is pink cloud salad? Sounds yummy.....is it with cranberry jello and cool whip or something like that?
    Thank you friends for sharing some stuffing recipes!!! Glenda,I think I will be doing the same thing on Wed. Except, I work until 3, so I will put my hubby to work chopping......he's working a half day!!! :) I'm putting him to work!!! teehee!!!!

12. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 20, 2005

I don't put any milk in my stuffing. I use chicken broth. My stuffing goes in the bird. I put raisins and sometimes some mushrooms in it. And definitely sage.

My sister makes cornbread dressing in a pan. Which I love. Too much.

13. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Nov 20, 2005

Maybe I'll try my grandma's stuffing this year for some of my other family Thanksgivings. I'm only subbing Tuesday and half day Wednesday this week.

14. kinderkids

kinderkids Virtuoso

Nov 20, 2005

Daysy, it sounds good........I'm thinking of trying it too!! Thanks for sharing!!! :)
    My mom has always used gizzards in hers, like Hatima.....but never has boiled eggs in her stuffing.

15. AMK

AMK Aficionado

Nov 20, 2005

My mom puts butter and chopped onions (or frozen chopped onions) in a pan and lets them cook a bit. Then she takes white bread (a little stale) and gets it moist with water. She breaks it up and puts in the pan with the onions. She adds a lot of salt, pepper and thyme. It is great and my cousins always request it.

16. ABall

ABall Fanatic

Nov 20, 2005

Make sure you pull your Turkey out of the freezer today!!

If you make fresh cranberry sauce you can make it 2 days ahead, I think you can cut your cellery and onions and bag them for your stuffing. Gather your serving dishes, silverware, serving pieces, glass ware, table cloths, napkins, Count your chairs to guests to make sure you have enough.

A hint for The big day: make your mashed potatoes and keep them warm in a crock pot!

Make a list of dishes you will be making and a list of dishes your guest may bring to see if you need any shopping last minute.
    Ask the little ones that will be your guest to make place cards, napkin rings, or little favors for each place setting. If you are going to some ones house that has kids, and you don't, bring coloring pages for them, to help keep them busy.

17. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 20, 2005

This is a super easy recipe! My mother used to heat the pineapple on the stove, but I just put it in the serving bowl and use the microwave.

Pink Cloud Salad
    20 oz crushed pineapple
    3 oz pkg strawberry jello
    2 cups cottage cheese
    8 oz container Cool Whip

Heat the pineapple to boiling. Stir in the jello to dissolve. Cool to room temperature. Stir in the cottage cheese. Then gently fold in the Cool Whip. Let set overnight to set firm.

18. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 20, 2005

GlendaLL, do you chill this in a bowl or a mold? You don't add water?

19. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 20, 2005

I do the whole thing in a bowl. My mother used to pour it into a jello mold and set overnight. It came out very pretty!
    (NO water - the juice from the pineapple is enough.)

20. hatima

hatima Devotee

Nov 20, 2005

mmm. that sounds good. similar to the wordoff (SP?) salad.

21. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Nov 21, 2005

Do you mean waldorf? You are focusing on words a bit too much! LOL

22. hatima

hatima Devotee

Nov 21, 2005

yes, thats the word I was looking for. Thanks! Wow did I get it wrong!:D

23. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 21, 2005

Anyway, it's not like wordoff or waldorf - no apples at all! :)

24. hatima

hatima Devotee

Nov 21, 2005

True. (probally better that way. I'm alergic to apples so I have to pick them out of the waldorf salad).

25. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Nov 23, 2005

Well, wish me luck I am going to try my stuffing tonight, that way if it doesn't turn out good, I'll have time to change it!

26. daysy_may

daysy_may Groupie

Nov 24, 2005

Well, the stuffing turned out GOOD, and I also made an apple bread pudding, YUM.

27. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Nov 24, 2005

Congrats, daysy may!
    My pies are done, turkey in the oven, guests to arrive shortly.
    Have a great day!

Last edited: Nov 24, 2005