Cooking in the classroom

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by Preschool0929, Jul 9, 2015.

1. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jul 9, 2015

My program "requires" a cooking activity to be in your lesson plans every 2 weeks. However, our principal never has checked this in my 3 years of teaching and it's often been hard to do since buying materials for my 40 students is not always possible. For the upcoming school year, we'll reportedly have more oversight on lesson plans so I'm trying to gather together some easy activities to do. Keeping in mind that we do not have access to a kitchen, so we can't really do anything that involves heat. So, my questions are:
    1.) What are some simple cooking lessons that you do in your classroom?
    2.) Do you let students eat right away or serve it during a typical meal time?
    3.) Do you do the lesson as a whole group or small group activity?
    4.) I have many severely medically fragile students, many with g-tubes or requiring very specific diets. Should I create alternate snacks for them to eat, or just ensure that they are actively participating in the activity?

Thanks!

3. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 9, 2015

We did a lot of "cooking" in my Pre-K class.
    It was done during morning snack time so they could eat it right away, and the food we made was related to the theme.
    We did it as a whole class.

Here are some examples of what we made
    > Traffic Light - circle ritz crackers, cream cheese, fruit loops
    >Mini Smores - mini marshmallows, teddy grahams, chocolate chips
    > Fishing - pretzel sticks, cream cheese, goldfish
    > Man in the Moon - rice cakes, cream cheese, chocolate chips
    > Build a House - graham crackers & cream cheese
    That's all I can remember off the time of my head! But we did one at least once a month. Yes, we used a lot of cream cheese!
    Luckily, I didn't have any kids with allergies or food restrictions!
    The office or kitchen staff bought the supplies for us, and we used plastic spoons to spread since they couldn't use knives. If you teach them to use the backside of the spoon, it works well.

4. eyeteach

eyeteach Rookie

Jul 13, 2015

We cook a lot in our classroom! We use crock pots a lot. We also use waffle irons, quesadilla makers and induction cookers. Our classroom always smells so good. :) If we want to do something that has to be baked, we will prepare it in our classroom and take it to the kitchen to be cooked.

5. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 13, 2015

I made play dough pretty regularly in my preK class with an electric skillet.
    We also made quesadillas, scrambled eggs, ice cream, fruit salad, applesauce, and oatmeal easily.

6. Preschool0929

Preschool0929 Cohort

Jul 14, 2015

Thanks for the ideas! So for those that responded, do you do your cooking activities in a small group or large group? Or does it depend on what you're making?

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2015

8. ash_sk8s

ash_sk8s Companion

Jul 14, 2015

We do a lot of cooking in my classroom. We make cakes for every kids birthday (with a convection oven). We'll also do other cooking projects like waffles w/ waffle iron, biscuits, anything really!

9. eyeteach

eyeteach Rookie

Jul 14, 2015

If it is something that requires a lot of prep, we will break up into two groups and one teacher works with one group and the other teacher works with the other group. Cooking adds a whole new dynamic to the classroom and the children and the parents enjoy it!

10. jbrinkm

jbrinkm Companion

Jul 15, 2015

You can also try making a pizza box solar oven and put together food combos that need some melting: http://www.stevespanglerscience.com/lab/experiments/solar-oven. Smores & mini-pizza are two I can think of (although I would recommend from experience to only melt the marshmallows for smores - the chocolate just becomes a "hot mess" - literally!)

I often do theme-related cooking: green eggs and ham/bacon, Chinese New Year, Shamrock shakes, etc. I will give an overview during large group and then do actual cooking as a small group - eating as soon as it is ready. We've done stir fry in a skillet - precook the rice and they can use dull plastic knives to slice small pieces of vegetables. Also shakes and smoothies in the blender work well.

Put a sign up sheet and ask parents to bring in ingredients.

11. olivecoffee

olivecoffee Companion

Jul 15, 2015

We cooked a little bit during my ECSE classroom student teaching. We always cooked in a large group.

I made green eggs and ham during Dr. Suess's birthday week. Luckily, we had Apple TV in that classroom, so we set it up and used the iPad to zoom in on the eggs while it was cooking. This way the students didn't have to get close to see the eggs and ham cooking.

I also made salsa, which is really cheap to make and it makes A LOT. I used a blender, but had the kids take turns putting in different ingredients. This was done right before recess, so I had time to set up snack with the salsa and chips.

Sometimes we eat it as soon as it's ready, other times we wait until snack time.

12. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 15, 2015

I did some whole class, some with small groups during stations so they could help more.

13. Mrs.Sheila

Mrs.Sheila Cohort

Jul 17, 2015

I truly have been wanting to incorporate cooking in the classroom so thank you for this post!

Let me ask.. HOW OFTEN do you do this? Weekly? Bi weekly? Monthly?

14. ChildWhisperer

ChildWhisperer Groupie

Jul 18, 2015

We couldn't do any baking or cooking so our "cooking" was mainly the kids putting food together to create something new.
    We did it as a whole class,
    and we usually did this 1-4x per month, depending on the theme and whether the office bought the supplies for us on time :)