Controversial Issues

Discussion in 'Elementary Education Archives' started by Rachel B, Jun 18, 2005.

1. Rachel B

Rachel B New Member

Jun 18, 2005

I will be doing a lesson on teaching a controversial issue to my 4th grade students. I need to find an issue that they really care about and affects them. I thought about issues like homework policies, when several kids do something wrong, the entire class is punished, diversity, etc. Do you have any other ideas?

3. cinmcl61

cinmcl61 Rookie

Jun 18, 2005

i asked my fifth grader and his reply was: school lunches. dress code, and why all firled trips need to be educational. Of course he also added recess should be longer.

4. love2teach

love2teach Enthusiast

Jun 18, 2005

yes dress code.....

our middle schoolers just had a mock bord meeting and their issues were school lunch, dress code (were a private school, and they wanted to make changes to the uniform) and something else....but it was very effective, the children really did work hard and presented their cases very well, as a result the principal is looking into a new lunch program for next year...the administration may also make some ammendments to the dress code policy!

5. MDMom

MDMom New Member

Jun 18, 2005

How about elimination of recess, "peanut free" policies (i.e., no peanut products vs. segregated eating areas), are standardized tests good or bad for education?

6. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jun 18, 2005

In my area, another big issue has been year-round schooling... several of us as students wrote essays and had some good discussions on that topic.

7. jeanie

jeanie Companion

Jun 21, 2005

Here is an issue that is school related:
    How much homework should students be expected to do? Should it be different for different ages, different students, etc.
    Here is an outside -of -school issue
    Pollution/ recycling: Should people and businesses be required to recycle bottles, glass, aluminum, etc. Do realize how much there is and do students know where all that stuff goes? (Sometimes businesses are not required to recycle. For example... do you know how many plastic items are thrown in the garbage vs being recycled at McDonalds, the zoo, your own classroom or cafeteria?)

8. Rachel B

Rachel B New Member

Jun 26, 2005

Thanks for all the helpful ideas!

9. Upsadaisy

Upsadaisy Moderator

Jun 27, 2005

Highlights magazine and Scholastic News usually have student debate topics in each issue. They ask for responses from readers, too.