Controlling, distracted behaviour

Discussion in 'General Education' started by MusicLove, May 23, 2015.

1. MusicLove

MusicLove New Member

May 23, 2015

Hi there!

I'm a private music teacher. I have one student who controls our lesson time by being continuously disruptive (it seems like every 20 seconds we need to regroup and refocus her). As you can imagine, it's incredibly frustrating and wastes so much time. Anybody got any tips on how to handle this??

3. 2ndTimeAround

2ndTimeAround Phenom

May 23, 2015

do you mean you work in a private school or that you provide group lessons to students on your own?

If private school I would have her sit to the side and not participate in the activity/lesson. If she upped the ante while in semi-isolation, I'd bounce her to another class. Then I'd call home and discuss consequences with her parents.

If it is something you do on your own I'd drop her as a pupil.

4. adeeb

adeeb Rookie

May 23, 2015

Have you tried talking to the student individually before/after class? It might help to find out what is causing her to be disruptive. Maybe she isn't interested in the class. Maybe something is going on in her personal life. The only way to really find out is to talk to her. This will not only help you reduce the disruptions but will also show that you care.