Controlling co teacher

Discussion in 'Preschool' started by misshb, Aug 5, 2018.

1. misshb

misshb New Member

Aug 5, 2018

I just started a new job at a preschool and i already feel like the dynamics between me and my coteacher are going to be difficult. Shes been here for 17yrs and is currently in school to get her certification to teach. Her last co teacher of 4 to 8 years recently left. When i came in she wouldnt let me help set up the room because she already had everything planned out. I figured this wasnt a big deal because shes had all summer to plan and i came in 3 days before. But on openhouse she wouldnt really let me talk to the parents and when i tried she took over. Shed also tell the parents that she left at a certain time (an hour before me) so if they had any questions about their kid they could email her. Even though they could also just talk to me because Id be there still. But i didnt inturpt her but looking back i should have said that. I eventually gave up trying and started playing with the kids. But i feel like doing that discredited me as a teacher? Or is it still ok because they saw me interacting with the kids? Tomorrows the first day with the kids and Im nervous because shes teaching the first two weeks and I know shes going to take over because we havent discussed routines or expectations or what were going to do and she still has the schedule posted with her old coteachers name. Im worried she wont like me because shed rather have the old coteacher. It doesnt help that i have a very submissive personality. How should I handle this?

3. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Aug 5, 2018

You need to schedule a meeting and discuss how both of you envision working together. Don’t hesitate to call in your director if there needs to be a clarification of roles.

Caesar753, futuremathsprof and a2z like this.
  4. swansong1

swansong1 Virtuoso

Aug 5, 2018

You need to be proactive from the beginning. Don't let her walk all over you, even if it means you need to be assertive.

5. a2z

a2z Maven

Aug 5, 2018

I agree that you need a meeting to get a clarification of roles especially since she is not yet certified. I'm assuming you are.

6. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Aug 5, 2018

Nip this in the bud before it gets out of hand. I'd respectfully ask your director to join the meeting, but make everything as positive as possible. Like others have said--you need clarification of what your role is. Be assertive yet professional.

7. Teacher234

Teacher234 Cohort

Aug 6, 2018

It may be best to discuss this matter with an unbiased 3rd party such as the supervisor.
    The co-teacher seems to need to be put into her place. Possibly the co-teacher does not understand that you are equal to her on the chain of command. Co-teachers are supposed to work together equally anyways. Arguments and misunderstandings can come up, but both teachers must confer with each other to find a solution.
    I do not have a ton of experience with co-teaching after 2010, so my post may not be as valid as others. I do, however, have a teacher aide (who I can not co-teach with, due to hierarchical circumstances). We, of course, are technically not equal and I am technically her "boss" in a sense.

8. literarynerd

literarynerd Rookie

Aug 6, 2018

I have a submissive personality too, and that makes it incredibly hard to co-teach. As hard as it as, you need to assert yourself early. Kids will pick up on it if you don't and will not respect you if your co-teacher is out for a day or even a minute. I know, because that was me this past school year.

I never nipped it early and every minute that goes by that you are the submissive one, the worse it'll get. It's incredibly hard.

Find common planning time. There's co-teaching all over my school (that I've observed) and I've never seen it work, even with coaching and training. My experience is high school so that might change things. Good luck!

9. futuremathsprof

futuremathsprof Aficionado

Aug 6, 2018

I think this is more than mildly inappropriate on the part of your co-teacher. You need to assert yourself and not let her walk all over you. Maybe discuss this with both you, her, and your superior present, so that person is made aware that she is making your job difficult.

You want to start out strong and her making you feel like a third wheel is completely unprofessional. You both are supposed to be working together and you are not just her assistant to be bossed around.

Last edited: Aug 8, 2018
  10. svassillion

svassillion Companion

Aug 8, 2018

Although it sounds like this may eventually need some direction or help from the director I would recommend having a talk with the co-teacher first before going straight to a superior. Even if it's an uncomfortable conversation, it'll be even more uncomfortable if she knows you bypassed her to bring this problem to admin. You could start by asking how her and the previous teacher planned together then ask how you can help. Then you can start suggesting new ideas or changes. If that doesn't work, I would then have a more blunt talk about your roles as co-teachers and if that failed finally go to admin with evidence that you attempted to resolve this problem but could use their help.

I would also recommend you change everything with the old teacher's name to yours tomorrow.

Caesar753 likes this.