Contractual Issue

Discussion in 'General Education' started by Genmai, Dec 9, 2009.

1. Genmai

Genmai Companion

Dec 9, 2009

I'm in a sticky situation now. I was hired in the fall to work as the full-time math teacher for my grade. I'm a brand new teacher on the alternative route. The problem is that my public school district has budget issues and hasn't been able to let me sign my contract. Right now, I'm officially getting paid as a sub. I've sent a few emails to the people in HR but haven't heard anything back. I don't want to create problems and contact the union, but not having benefits and real teacher pay (however low) is very aggravating. What do you think I should do?

3. tracykaliski

tracykaliski Connoisseur

Dec 9, 2009

I don't have any suggestions since I work in a private school, but I wish you luck. This is a long time to work without a contract.

Does your principal know about this?

4. Canadian Gal

Canadian Gal Habitué

Dec 9, 2009

Talk to your principal and/or superintendent. Ask them what they think the issue is, and if they know anyway that you can resolve the problem.

5. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Dec 9, 2009

I agree. It sounds like they know about it and just can't afford to make you permanent? But I'd check. When I got hired our first pay day came and there was a problem. When I asked my P it turned out it was a paperwork problem. So first ask for clarification. I would probably contact the union first though. You can ask them for their opinion. They don't have to "do" anything but they can give you good tips so if it does go south you know how to handle it :)