Contracts

Discussion in 'General Education Archives' started by kburen, May 18, 2007.

1. kburen

kburen Cohort

May 18, 2007

Hey everyone. We're down to 17 days left in school and have yet to receive contracts for next year. They have already hired at least 1 teacher for a position that will be open next year, but as I said, no contracts for current teachers for next year. Is this odd???? Only my second year teaching so I don't really know....

3. nc4th

nc4th Rookie

May 18, 2007

I know at my school other teachers said that you do not get an actual contract for the following year. When they submit their recommendation for rehire that we signed at our summative meeting that works as the contract. You may want to ask veteran teachers at your school

4. Research_Parent

Research_Parent Cohort

May 18, 2007

Some schools don't use official contracts, just intents to rehire.
    No offense to schools with unions, but schools without unions tend to rely on basic intent to hire/rehire sheets that are signed towards the end of the year. They are basic agreements that state your agreement to come back to work for the school in August/September.

Some schools only use hire agreements for new hires. These are more like offer letters or hire letters stating when your date of employment begins, paycheck, supervisor (if any) and other technical matters.

5. Bonnie gr. 2

Bonnie gr. 2 Companion

May 18, 2007

It depends on where you are. In New Jersey, a nontenured teacher who receives a contract each year. If they do not receive a contract OR a letter telling them that they will NOT be rehired by a set date, which I think if currently May 15 (not sure of the date), they are considered rehired. The NJEA recommends that they send a letter to the board accepting their offer of employment. In my district, tenured teachers are just sent a letter to sign, indicating if they plan to return.

6. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

May 18, 2007

We get our contracts mailed in the summer as our contract runs until July 1.... Non-tenured teachers who will not be back have generally been told already...

7. kburen

kburen Cohort

May 18, 2007

Last year we got our contracts before we left for the summer. One other veteran teacher (new to my school, but has been teaching in the same county for numerous years) has kind of said the same thing....Which is what got me thinking about it. We got our letters of intent REALLY early this year (around Feb) so we thought we would get contracts pretty early as well.....Who knows.

8. Kindtchr

Kindtchr Comrade

May 18, 2007

We don't get ours until the last few days of schools. Staff members that may not be given a contract are notified in April. This doesn't mean anything definite, just that there is a possibility they may not receive a contract. Our paras don't have contracts and wait until the end of the year to find out if they will be offered a job the next year.