Contracts, resignations, release?!

Discussion in 'General Education' started by therunningteacher, Jul 20, 2016.

1. therunningteacher

therunningteacher New Member

Jul 20, 2016

Hi y'all.

I'm new here but need some advice. My fiance currently works remote; however, his manager is pushing him to put in a transfer as this remote position isn't working out for what they needed. Long story short, his manager that was totally cool with him being remote transferred and his new manager isn't a fan. This leaves me in a debacle, as I've signed a contract for 2016/2017 with my current district in Texas. I have interviewed with other districts to where he will be transferred...but how I do I go about talking with my principal about this situation without facing a sanction? I'm not wanting to do distance at all (we are getting married after all) but I'm also afraid of the district not letting me out or having that sanction put on my license.

What do y'all think? Any advice or prior knowledge would be helpful!

3. renard

renard Companion

Jul 20, 2016

I just went through this. It was difficult, but the reality for me was that my spouse's job takes priority (since he earns way more), and that I was very sorry but had no real choice in the situation. I worked in a Catholic school which was very religious and expected me to put marriage over a job (no joke, the P actually talked about it as a sacrament). Good luck!! A teaching job is not more important than your (soon-to-be future) family.

4. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Jul 20, 2016

How far away is the transfer? Every district is different, but mine will let you out for a family relocation over so many miles.

teacherintexas likes this.
  5. therunningteacher

therunningteacher New Member

Jul 20, 2016

It's about 150 miles away, two different metropolitan areas.

6. Leaborb192

Leaborb192 Enthusiast

Jul 20, 2016

Yeah if you have to leave, what else can you do? One of our teachers broke his contract because his wife got a different job in a different state and he got to leave without having to pay the fee. It's not like you're just quitting just because. Explain it to them and hope that they're professional enough to accept it, wish you well, and you move on.
    :):peacesign:

7. teacherintexas

teacherintexas Maven

Jul 20, 2016

When is the wedding? I don't know if all districts would let you out because a fiancé moved, but most would for a spouse. I thought all would until a local district didn't let a woman out for her spouse's move. It'll help if you are easily replaceable.

Maryhf likes this.
  8. Missy

Missy Aficionado

Jul 21, 2016

If you have a union, check with them for advice. My district will not hold a license because their theory is if you don't want to be there for whatever reason, they would rather let you go.

9. vickilyn

vickilyn Multitudinous

Jul 21, 2016

Two things:

If the wedding is soon, then you will fare better than if it is simply "in the future." Relationships can survive distance, but I seriously doubt that any school would question you moving with your husband.

You need to bring the subject to your principal sooner rather than later. Admin will appreciate you keeping them in the loop, and you may be worrying about a problem that doesn't exist. Do they want you to go? I doubt it, but with enough lead time, it might be amicable and doable. Leave it until the last minute, and I don't think it will go as well. Just my thoughts.

Yes, I like the idea of approaching your union, too. You will need some timelines, however, for them to give you great and accurate information.

Last edited: Jul 21, 2016
  10. txmomteacher2

txmomteacher2 Enthusiast

Jul 21, 2016

I'm in Texas and the last day to resign for our district was July 9 or so. We don't have unions in Texas so that isn't going to help. I will tell you my district would say sorry you have to stay. We live in a rural part of Texas and it is very difficult to get teachers to move here. Bigger districts in bigger cities might tell you ok they can replace you pretty easily. Check with your HR department for your district, they will help you.

11. mrsammieb

mrsammieb Devotee

Jul 21, 2016

I would be honest with your principal. If they can find you a replacement then it probably isn't a big deal but if they can't then you may need to stay until they can find someone to replace you. I had to leave mid-year once and I just was very honest with my principal. She did not want my husband and I have to live apart a whole school year.

12. YoungTeacherGuy

YoungTeacherGuy Phenom

Jul 21, 2016

Is it a hard-to-fill position?

We had a music teacher resign a couple of weeks ago (although she had been offered and accepted a position at the beginning of June in a very nearby district).

She waited a long time to resign as a way to get back at the district for supposedly wronging her (long story, but I feel that she shouldn't have bad-mouthed our district on Facebook).

Anyway, they let her out of her contact (I'm certain they're happy to see her go). I do know they're recruiting like crazy to fill her spot, though (not many people around here have that particular credential). Good luck to her--I hope everything works out in her new district because there's no way she'd ever be welcomed back in our district, unfortunately!

That being said, I'm pretty sure they'll let you out of your contact! Most districts are willing to work with their employees (especially if you have a good track record).

13. teacherquestions

teacherquestions Rookie

Jul 26, 2016

Resign/leave ASAP. You have a good reason so i can't imagine you will be denied.