Contract ?

Discussion in 'Elementary Education' started by flyingmickey, Jul 12, 2009.

1. flyingmickey

flyingmickey Rookie

Jul 12, 2009

I don't really understand the talk about contract time. Are some of you paid hourly? Where I live you are expected to be at the school for 15 minutes before and after the bell. Most teachers are at school early and leave late. My normal hours would be 7:45 - 4.

If teachers leave with the bell then how do they get their prep done. I have an hour and a half of prep a week but it never seems to get all done.

My contract just states the days I work not the hours. Admin expects us to be professional and get everything done. I'm sure I'm missing something.

3. Tasha

Tasha Phenom

Jul 12, 2009

Our contract specifies hours and days. Monday, Tuesday and Thursday we work 7:30-3:30, Wednesday we stay til 4 for meetings or work in our room and Fridays we can leave at 3. Most of us come early and/or stay late but a lot of us try to leave at 3 on Fridays.

4. JoviHawk

JoviHawk Rookie

Jul 12, 2009

Our contract states days and times. We have a union, maybe that's why it is so detailed.

5. LoVe 2 TcH

LoVe 2 TcH Companion

Jul 13, 2009

I work for a private school, and this year our principal threatened to put our working hours on the contract 8-4... This was ridiculous to most of our teachers because school starts at 7:55. But, the hours are not on our contracts, thankfully.

Our contracts simply states how much we make over the pay period.

6. scmom

scmom Enthusiast

Jul 13, 2009

Conatract time matters when some teachers are habitually late or leave early. Although most of us work WAY more than contracted, there are always a few bad apples in the barrel and they make the rules to cover those situations. Although, to be fair many who leave early do so to pick up a child and take a lot of work home.

And yes, some of us are hourly and don't get paid for prep. at all.

7. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Jul 13, 2009

Those 'expected' times may be specified in your contract...(when we talk contracts, it's not the one page listing your salary- there is usually a 'booklet' with all negotiated terms) People leaving at the bell probably take work home.

8. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2009

I am ALWAYS the first to arrive every morning - about 6:15 and I used to leave with the bell (well within 30 minutes or so). But I always had tons of work to take home. I would LITERALLY work until midnight some night, but usually until 9:30 or 10:00.

It really bothers me when I hear others talk about teachers that leave with the bell because you don't know what they do at home. I assure you I worked harder than just about anybody I worked with, but I have lots of kids. I'd rather work at home with them then sit in a room I've been in all day. Staying at school until 6p.m. doesn't make you a better teacher. Many times that time is spent gossiping or some other unproductive activity. Trust me I know, this last year I stayed late every day and wound up doing more talking than work.

9. rachaelski

rachaelski Habitué

Jul 13, 2009

Great point! My co-teacher came to work the minute she was required and left soon after the end of the day...because she had to get her kids from daycare. She is a single mom with 2 kids under the age of 8, and she worked at an extended day school (7:30-5). Our school leader gave her grief about not coming to school early/staying late...which is part of the reason the school had 100% turn-over in staff....

10. Lynn K.

Lynn K. Habitué

Jul 13, 2009

There are teachers in our building who come and go only when the 'have' to be there, and they are very very good teachers. They work far harder during their preps than I do. I stay after school and work until 4:30-5 and do all the stuff they do during their preps. I would rather talk to my partner teachers during my prep. I have also found that I don't get anything done when I bring it home. Too many distractions.

To each their own, right? As long as they are doing a good job, you can't judge people by how much time they spend in the building.

11. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

Jul 13, 2009

I agree. But I have heard people criticize before that "such and such leaves as soon as the kids do".. But you don't know what that teacher does at home. She may be a sucky teacher or she may spend hours at home working.

I know teachers that refuse to take work home and do it at work. I think that is great. Not my preference.

12. peggy27

peggy27 Cohort

Jul 13, 2009

We have to be there 15 minutes before and after school. And we have 2 hour planning time on Fridays. I stay maybe half hour after school, I do bring work home with me. I know teachers that are there at least hour in the morning and 2 hours after school.Some I don't think want to go home!! I guess school is not the only part of my life and I rather do things at home.