Contract

Discussion in 'New Teachers Archives' started by mnteacherguy, Jul 13, 2006.

1. mnteacherguy

mnteacherguy Companion

Jul 13, 2006

I am signing my contract tomorrow. I was just wondering what I should look for in this contract (not that I'm assuming they're trying to rip me off). Will all benefits be included in this contract? What benefits should I look for?

3. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Jul 13, 2006

mnteacherguy: I would definitley find out about those things BEFORE singing a contract. Make sure you have the desired benefits and things you want in your job before you sign anything. Depending on the district, benefits and retirement info isn't always listed on a contract...(from what I understand) it's mainly more specific to your duties as a teacher and what is required of you professionally.

4. falcons88

falcons88 Rookie

Jul 14, 2006

The contract is a lot of legal jargon, that basically says you will be a teacher for this much money, and it should state where you are at in the districts Step. You move down the ladder with years of expereince and laterally on the chart with professional development, so you have to start somewhere. Maybe its not the contract itself but something you sign should have that verbage in writing.

Benefits, 403B, retirement, that is not in the contract itself. You would have to investigate that on your own.

5. clarnet73

clarnet73 Moderator

Jul 14, 2006

benefits and stuff will probably be in the teacher union contract... I know at least it was last year when I got hired, one sentance on my contract just said "per agreements set forth in the WEA agreement" or something like that.

6. Mable

Mable Enthusiast

Jul 14, 2006

Yes- benefits and retirement, all that jazz would come up at new teacher orientation.

7. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

Jul 14, 2006

When I was offered a job they just sent a very dry contract that pretty much got them out of blame for stupid things I did so they could fire me if I sucked.

The benefits and all of that stuff was talked about during my new hire orientation that I went to yesterday.

I found out yesterday that my district had 11,000 applicants to teach in their district. They only hired 600.

8. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 14, 2006

See?? I TOLD you you were good!!!

9. Sadie217

Sadie217 Rookie

Jul 17, 2006

Wow, that's great. What district are you teaching in?

10. TexasAggie2323

TexasAggie2323 Comrade

Jul 17, 2006

McKinney ISD,

Oh and Alicia, I know but I have low self esteem when it comes to that kind of stuff. It also doesn't help that I am a worrier.

11. JustWondering

JustWondering Companion

Jul 17, 2006

Well I have graduated from Job Seekers to New Teachers! I too will be signing my contract soon. I got the job and was informed there was a board meeting to give the teachers a raise so I have to wait until the board meeting is over! Talk about a pleasant surprise to top of my day! I hope this part of the forum is as useful and helpful as the Job Seekers was! I look forward to browsing through it!

12. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2006

Congratulations!

13. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

Jul 18, 2006

Congrats!!

14. Mrs_Barrett

Mrs_Barrett Cohort

Aug 3, 2006

Sorry this is so late, but I hope it will help someone.

Make sure your contract states exactly what your position is!! If it just states TEACHER, then you district can just move you around to whatever you want.