contract - what does this mean to you?

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by jspader02, May 20, 2009.

1. jspader02

jspader02 Rookie

May 20, 2009

"And it is further agreed that the said certificated employee will not rescind an employment contract with the local system after July 15 except in case of emergency, of which the Local Board of Education shall exercise judgment on a reasonable basis."

what's the point of signing a contract if you can change your mind? i don't know i'm new at this. am i reading this wrong? do i have until July 15th to back out on them?

3. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 20, 2009

Looks like you can change your mind but I bet they don't want you to.

4. jspader02

jspader02 Rookie

May 20, 2009

haha yeah - especially because they need teachers in the area. i definitely don't want to back out on them, because that's just not cool. i've just been having a hard time figuring out what to do about this job. i'd be relocating into an area well known as being a not so good area - although when i was visiting on my interview i saw nothing wrong about the area - just different since i was the minority :)

anyways, it's just so early in the year it seems for finding a teaching job. i keep seeing postings added to disticts almost everyday. if by any means, i would LOVE to find a job in my own state, of course this has a good chance of not happening though. i am perfectly okay with relocating, but at the same time, i can dream can't i?

5. INteacher

INteacher Aficionado

May 20, 2009

Do you mind telling us where you are located? You seem to be one of the very few in an area that seems to be hiring.

6. MrsHoot

MrsHoot Comrade

May 20, 2009

I know here in Ohio you can back out of contracts until July 10 without repercussions, after you are locked in unless you have a REALLY good reason to get out of your contract.

7. jspader02

jspader02 Rookie

May 20, 2009

---deleted because of location information---

8. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

May 20, 2009

A lot of contracts have a point in the summer that you can back out by and have no repercussions (usually right around 30 or 60 days before the school year starts). Good luck with your decision!

9. mrachelle87

mrachelle87 Fanatic

May 20, 2009

In our state, you can back out, but the local board can vote to hold your contract making it impossible for you to work for another district in the upcoming year. I have seen it happen twice, once with a counselor and once with HS English teacher.

10. Aliceacc

Aliceacc Multitudinous

May 20, 2009

AS I read it, you can't jump ship for a better offer once you've signed. They reserve the right to cut you some slack if they think the situation warrants.

I don't see why they give you till July 15th. As I see it, once you've signed, you've committed yourself.

11. Exclaimation Po

Exclaimation Po Habitué

May 20, 2009

In my current district returning teachers have to sign their contract by June 30th or they assume you're not coming back. Once you sign you're obligated to stay. However, if you have serious reasons why you need to get out of the contract they usually will let you out, provided you give enough notice for them to fill your position.

12. AMB

AMB Rookie

May 20, 2009

One of the assistant superintendents at a job discussion panel my college hosted during our student teaching said that even if you aren't legally obligated, once you've agreed to work somewhere, if you back out for another job, you will basically be blackballed everywhere else. "Schools talk."

Now, I don't know if that was just an idle threat or if they go through with it, but I wouldn't really like to find out.

13. skittleroo

skittleroo Connoisseur

May 20, 2009

We sign contracts in late March every year and have until July 5th or so (45 days before instruction begins) to back out the contract.

I could definitely see being blacklisted by a district that you agreed to work for (I know my district does that), but I don't know about speaking to other districts about it. They really are limited in what they can legally say. Districts are funny that way. They don't want any lawsuits.

I actually love the fact that I can sign a contract and back out, but the district can't back out. Can you say.....SAFETY NET!!!!

14. Missy99

Missy99 Connoisseur

May 20, 2009

In our district you can back out of your contract, even after signing, without repercussions. After that, you are stuck.

15. lemonhead

lemonhead Aficionado

May 21, 2009

Oh my goodness! Can you imagine the pins and needles people would be on if it worked both ways??