Contract vs. No Contract

Discussion in 'New Teachers' started by Loves2Learn, Dec 8, 2007.

1. Loves2Learn

Loves2Learn New Member

Dec 8, 2007

Here's the situation:

I was hired in a highly competitive school district for the 2007-2008 school year as a maternity leave replacement. This district places all of its new teachers (all "long term subsitutes") into a pool. The new teachers are put through a multitude of formal observations in the first two months of school. Then the administrators decide who to award available contracts to throughout the district.

I worked my tail off, but was not awarded a contract. However, the position I am in is guaranteed through the end of this school year. They can, if they want, invite me back next year to "try again" for a contract and go through the whole process again.

This brings me to the whole reason I am posting on here: Is it ethical to leave this position mid-year if I find a contract position elsewhere???

I'm getting married next year and I don't feel like I can afford to wait around for a contract from this particular district.

Input is appreciated!! :)

3. tm91784

tm91784 Comrade

Dec 8, 2007

If you do not have a contract, then I do not think that you have an obligation to stay. If you find a contract elsewhere, I would go for it.

4. MMRbella

MMRbella Companion

Dec 8, 2007

No contract= no obligation. You do not owe them anything!!!

5. agdamity

agdamity Fanatic

Dec 9, 2007

The only way I would leave, is if I had a contract lined up, and you knew you never wanted to teach in this district again. You don't have a contract, but you were hired to take a year-long maternity position--that may be why you didn't get a contract, technically, the position isn't open--the other teacher will be returning next year.