Contract time vs kids going home

Discussion in 'Substitute Teachers' started by jen12, Nov 24, 2009.

1. jen12

jen12 Devotee

Nov 24, 2009

How many of you, when subbing, are supposed to stay after the kids go home?

Today I was in a school where there was a polite little note from the principal in the sub folder to the effect of, "you will be here until 3:00. If you must leave earlier, please see me and we will discuss."

Around here, most full-day schedules are until about 3:00 or 3:10, mabye even 3:30 if there's a late start. So, for instance, primary grades may go home at 2:15, and 4th and 5th at 3:00 but subs have to be there until 3:00 regardless of the grade level. We also have planning days on Wednesday where the entire school gets out at 1:00, but again, if you're scheduled to sub it's until 3:00. I don't know why, but that's the way it is.

I always just figured if that's the scheduled time to be at work, that's what they're paying me for, and I might as well find something to do if the teacher doesn't leave prep work--grading papers, cleaning up the classroom, etc. I had one situation where the aide kicked me out of the room when the kids left. I went to the office to ask if they needed me anyplace else and they sent me home. It was nice, but I thought it was just a one-off kind of thing at the time. I was surprised to see that note today. To me, the time of the job is clearly stated online or through the call in system, but I guess people have a tendency to try to leave as soon as the kids are gone, even though they accept a job with a time until x:xx....what is your experience with this? Do your districts end your day when the kids are gone? Or are you supposed to finish out the contracted time?

3. Ms. I

Ms. I Maven

Nov 24, 2009

I only sub for the SLPs (& sometimes the RSP teachers). I always leave a few min before that dismissal bell rings to avoid the ratrace in the parkind lot & the office staff fortunately doesn't say anything. :)

4. sunshine*inc

sunshine*inc Cohort

Nov 24, 2009

My districts do not require to me stay until a specified time. After the students have been dismissed and I do what I need to do in the classroom I can leave. The district in which I live, however, has their substitutes stay until a specified time. In the 2nd district I work in I would ask in the office if they needed me for anything on days that I subbed for their RSP teacher because on some days I had no students to see after 1:30 ish. They always just told me to go home before the parking lot got busy.

5. MrsC

MrsC Multitudinous

Nov 24, 2009

Our subs are expected to stay until 10 minutes after the students are dismissed at the end of the day--enough time to be sure the classroom is tidy, leave a note for the teacher and check out at the office (and wait for the chaos in the parking lot to clear).

6. Special-t

Special-t Enthusiast

Nov 24, 2009

We are expected to stay the full day - even if the students are dismissed early.

7. TeacherGroupie

TeacherGroupie Moderator

Nov 24, 2009

jen12, I'm guessing that the principal got burned recently and is trying to ensure that it doesn't happen again.

One hates to be the recipient of ire inspired by someone else's misdeeds, no?

8. mandagap06

mandagap06 Devotee

Nov 25, 2009

I stay until 3pm sometimes as late as 3:30 (rare). I stay till all the kids are gone. Once kids are gone I have no other duties. I subbed at a middle school once(only cuz' my sub form said I would sub special ed. This aide was for learning disability kids.) I hated it and don't wanna have to go back. I had to do this aides bus duty at 3:00 pm which I was still doing at 3:30 when a nice teacher said please go home we got it from here. Good thing too since I have a 2nd job to be at by 5pm.

9. CanukTeacher

CanukTeacher Comrade

Nov 26, 2009

Our subs are required to stay until the work day is over (same time as regular teachers - 15 minutes after last bell). I think this is a small and very reasonable request.

10. GlendaLL

GlendaLL Aficionado

Nov 27, 2009

That's the way it works for me. In fact, if the last period of the day is a planning period, I am allowed to leave EARLY! :thumb:

11. czacza

czacza Multitudinous

Nov 27, 2009

Wouldn't a sub, in most cases, be required to cover the hours that the teacher for whom s/he was subbing would be working?

12. myownwoman

myownwoman Habitué

Dec 4, 2009

I would usually be required to stay 30 minutes after the dismissal bell. Though, when I am an Instructional Aide I do not have that 30 minute requirement, meaning I can just go home.

13. JackTrader

JackTrader Comrade

Dec 4, 2009

I'm required only to stay until the last class is out. However, I usually take some time afterwards to straighten out the classroom and furniture, tidy it up, and of course, write up some notes for the regular teacher. On average, I stay from 15-30 minutes after the last class.

14. catnfiddle

catnfiddle Moderator

Dec 4, 2009

When I subbed I usually stayed at least until all the buses had pulled out regardless of how long it took (mostly because it was a nightmare to get around them). The exception was when I didn't have a class for the last period of the day. At that point, I would check in at the office and ask what they needed of me. Most of the time they would release me or would ask me to wait 20 minutes until I left.