Contract interview on Tuesday...starting to get nervous

Discussion in 'Job Seekers' started by kpteacher, Nov 22, 2009.

1. kpteacher

kpteacher Rookie

Nov 22, 2009

So the short of it....I had been daily subbing in various districts, did a 1 week assignement 3rd grade, then got hired for a LTS position, 3rd grade, in another district. It is a per diem, no contract...

Anyway, OUT OF THE BLUE!!!! I get a call last week asking if i would want to tinterview for a second and fourth grade CONTRACTED position in the district that i did the 1 week assignment in. Of course I said sure! then she says there will be two principals and the interviews will take place on Tuesday. I said great do you have anything in the afternoon. She says no we are only interviewing on this day in the am for both positions...it's a short list. She says I am welcome to present anything and as she is talking to me she is going thorugh my entire resume portfolio and says your cleanances are ready to expire in a couple of weeks, you will need them updated when you start working, this i knew and was already on it, but i was pleased a tthe way she said it!

ok, so my quesiton is I know these positions are internal district transfers, therefore, things are already in place....does anyone have any ideas on what kind of questions they may ask relating to this type of situation? Also, I am guessing that there are maybe 5 canidate for two positions...how can I "stand-out"?

thanks!!!!

3. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Nov 22, 2009

No advice, but good luck!

4. leighbball

leighbball Virtuoso

Nov 22, 2009

I'm thinking your questions would still be the same as in any other interview...just go in and be yourself!

Good luck!!

5. nasimi77

nasimi77 Groupie

Nov 23, 2009

kpteacher: This sounds very promising! :) Since you have already worked for this district as a LTS (which I see as a big plus) then you are most likely familiar with the district standards, etc. If not definitely brush up on those. Also, do you know the particular school that you will be interviewing for? Try and check out that school's web site, become familiar with their curriculum, the demographics of the students there, the API scores of the school, etc. Be prepared to ask THEM questions that show how much you really WANT this position! If possible and if time permits, even try and plan out a simple demo lesson for 2nd and 4th grade? If you have a portfolio that shows a resume, some letters of recommendation, sample assignments, lessons, that is also good. Just go on with a smile and a positive attitude, show them you love helping kids and they'll see your potential!:D I wish you the best!:thumb:

6. wrice

wrice Habitué

Nov 23, 2009

Seems unusual that they would be needing new teachers mid year. I'd try to find out a bit about what happened in the classroom that caused these teachers to be transferred- what problem is foremost on the mind of these principals and how can you most strongly prove to these interviewers that you will fix that problem. For instance, was the teacher an ineffective manager or was she loud or abusive toward the kids? Then be ready to express to the interviewers your management philosophy and be ready with several options for handling disruptions in a calm and professional manner.

Maybe also stress what you learned in your 1 week there, the insights you have on the student population and the philosophy of the school.

Congrats on the interview and good luck!

7. kpteacher

kpteacher Rookie

Nov 23, 2009

thanks....

thanks all for the thoughts...it is a different type of interview and I just want to have an edge sort of speak...i have my management system ready to go and discuss and lots of other ideas, lets just hope i dont forget them...LOL

8. Maryhf

Maryhf Connoisseur

Nov 23, 2009

Just be yourself and show the interviewers that you are confident that you can handle any situation. Good luck!

9. kpteacher

kpteacher Rookie

Nov 25, 2009

ugh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

that is about all i can say! I thought it went well I asked at the end what their timeline was and they said "like yesterday" ...they said that they were going to make a decision the same day and that the canidates would "most likely" be called today. However, all canidates had to wait for board approval, which was 2 weeks away, so she said I would be able to give a two week notice at my current position.

So today........I didn't even get a no sorry call...can't they call 5 people and say no sorry and the other 2 congrats! don't they realize the impact that this has on the people either way!!!

so finally i called the hr office and said that i had an interview yesterday, she says for what, i told her, she says, well i dont deal with that but i think that there was talk that they made their decision....at this point it was all i had not to loose all the built up tears over the phone on her so i said thank you and hung up... can't they stinkin call you so you dont have to agonize over the HOLIDAY weekend! ugh i am sorry for venting, but i wanted this very badly and the worst part is my DH has the nerve to say, "what's wrong"!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

This is the MOST frustrating part of being a teacher...BECOMING one!!!!:dizzy:

10. love2read

love2read Rookie

Nov 25, 2009

My heart goes out to you...SO sorry...

I'm on the job hunt as well, it's tough!

11. Kangaroo22

Kangaroo22 Virtuoso

Nov 25, 2009

I'm so sorry, kpteacher. The job search is such a demoralizing process.

12. FKS

FKS New Member

Nov 29, 2009

Don't give up hope! The may have chosen you, but they didn't call anyone yet. That happened to me: I interviewed on a Friday for a position that started on a Monday. When I left they said the same thing about making a choice immediately, but I didn't hear back. I finally got an email on Sunday afternoon telling me I got the job and the Principal actually called me at 6:30 in the morning on Monday to formally offer the position.

I hope the same thing happens for you: GOOD LUCK!!

13. kpteacher

kpteacher Rookie

Dec 3, 2009

teacher interview summary...humorous, well trying to be!

Well, tomorrow is Friday and I did not even hear a yes or no...I need closure!!! here's the bast way i can sum up the teacher interview process and still keep my sense of humor...

Teacher interviews are like first dates!

You strive to find an open position, put out everything 'good' about yourself and wait for the call.
    The call comes and you get that butterfly feeling in your stomach!
    You wait anxiously for the day to come, picking out and trying on so many outfits to make you look 'just right'.
    You shave your legs and armpits, give your self a facial the night before and...
    It's the BIG day...your nauseous, jittery, maybe even have a drink.
    You go in, you look your best, feel your best have all of your thoughts together, well kind of.
    Your not going to be too overbearing, not too shy,
    You try to smile as much as you can and laugh at whatever seems funny.
    You use all of the right moves
    Your into it, it's going great, you feel it, your getting excited (hmm)
    and then at the end you say 'when might I hear something???...'

And there you have it....my interpretation of a teacher interview!

WHAM BAM THANK YOU MAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!