CONTRACT ADVICE

Discussion in 'General Education' started by oldsmitty, Sep 29, 2020.

1. oldsmitty

oldsmitty Rookie

Sep 29, 2020

Hello, so i am a first year teacher in Texas at a small private school, and i signed a contract to teach science. I currently don’t have an official Texas teaching certification. I have been overwhelmed at school, With an enormous workload including classes outside of the science contract that i signed due to short staff. I have 8 different curriculums and classes. I’ve lost weight and have been overwhelmed even at home. Is it possible for me to leave without repercussion?

3. Mr.history

Mr.history Cohort

Sep 29, 2020

You would have to look at the contract and see what the penalty is for breaking the contract. (I'm guessing a fee) You don't have a teaching certificate which is usually the thing districts could go after. Are you a member a teacher organization that provides legal representation? Might be worth calling them.

4. Tired Teacher

Tired Teacher Groupie

Sep 29, 2020

I think your odds are good for getting out of a private school contract especially if you aren't certified. I have seen where districts (states) will suspend your license for 1 yr making it impossible to work as a public school teacher the rest of that year only.
    If you think the feelings of being overwhelmed are tied to your weight loss, you could probably get a psych to sign off that you are unfit to teach for a year. Giving you an easy out.
    In the past, I have only seen districts "go after" teachers who quit who make a lot of noise. ( Like complaining vocally about all of the horrible parts of the school, system, or employees.) I have never seen them do it to a person with a medical reason.
    I have never heard of a fee before. I'd definitely find that out if it is common to do that there. Good luck! It sounds like a tough place to work and I think you are smart to get out.

MrTempest and otterpop like this.